Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground

5 posters

Go down

how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground  Empty how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground

Post  goldquest Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi guys, I am new at this game, can anyone help me with this question: how do I know if the ground where I am detecting is deep or shallow?
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground  Empty Re: how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:43 am

by reading up on that area before you go there --its all available --- what is the depth of the holes ? how much mullock is at the top of the hole? so its 90% research and 10% work Very Happy

Back to top Go down

how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground  Empty Re: how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground

Post  artrix Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:54 am

maybe this is part of his research......?
Have a look at any gullies and embankments they will usually give you an idea og the depth of soil over the rock base. You could also try to dig a few holes and see just how far down the rock base is.
Good luck with your research

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Murachu wrote:by reading up on that area before you go there --its all available --- what is the depth of the holes ? how much mullock is at the top of the hole? so its 90% research and 10% work Very Happy

Thank you for your kind replay, when you say its all available, what do you mean, there are books or on line? Smile
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:31 pm

artrix wrote:maybe this is part of his research......?
Have a look at any gullies and embankments they will usually give you an idea og the depth of soil over the rock base. You could also try to dig a few holes and see just how far down the rock base is.
Good luck with your research

Thank you Artrix,
every holes that I dig at the bottom I found clay and not rocks, what is the difference, do I have to keep on digging? Mad
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 pm

goldquest wrote:
Murachu wrote:by reading up on that area before you go there --its all available --- what is the depth of the holes ? how much mullock is at the top of the hole? so its 90% research and 10% work Very Happy

Thank you for your kind replay, when you say its all available, what do you mean, there are books or on line? Smile
Cheers
Goldquest

you need to have a good look in all the pages in this forum such as this in sluicing and panning ----https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/f40-finding-gold Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:58 pm

If your looking at an old gold field, Try going to a library in the area. Most gold fields will have well written books on the subject, and it's free info.
Basketball

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Mate you really need to get out there with a seasoned prospector... there is so much to learn you could never learn it all from a book or chit chat ,,but once you start to get the feel of things study of the area you wish to detect is paramount....with no disrespect to previous posters.... once you now what to look for it all starts to make sense...the thing i like to watch is the first direction a professional takes once good ground is found???

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:56 pm

zacaboy wrote:Mate you really need to get out there with a seasoned prospector... there is so much to learn you could never learn it all from a book or chit chat ,,but once you start to get the feel of things study of the area you wish to detect is paramount....with no disrespect to previous posters.... once you now what to look for it all starts to make sense...the thing i like to watch is the first direction a professional takes once good ground is found???

Thank you zacaboy, I think is a very good advise, only I wish I knew a seasoned prospector, unfortunately until now I was too buisy with my restaurant to meet other prospector, and you know better than me, is very hard to get information regarding our beautiful hobby.
That is why I joined this forum, I hope that asking question slowly slowly I can get some experience, in the mean time I keep going out and try to read the ground, digging targets, most of the time is only lead or other metallic things.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:29 pm

zacaboy wrote:Mate you really need to get out there with a seasoned prospector... there is so much to learn you could never learn it all from a book or chit chat ,,but once you start to get the feel of things study of the area you wish to detect is paramount....with no disrespect to previous posters.... once you now what to look for it all starts to make sense...the thing i like to watch is the first direction a professional takes once good ground is found???

No offence taken zacaboy ! you have put it better than I did Very Happy there are no short cuts to finding gold -- no matter what crap you see on TV making it look soooooo easy well the reality is its hard work so joining a club --finding a gold buddy- reading all you can is the only way and if I came across as flippant in my answer im sorry That was not the way I meant it. I must say Im getting fed up with the amount of people coming up to me in the field and to put it mildly nearly demanding I put them onto some gold as their time is short /or they should be doing something else BUT gold being $1500 an oz I WANT SOME OF THAT! Mad

Back to top Go down

how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground  Empty What!

Post  Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:46 pm

My back hates bending over for more than 2 minutes full stop! Yet I can gather a cup full of wet dirt from a likely spot and pan it later! Specs of gold every time"in a cup full of dirt".
Your either in the right spot or your not! Thats why I went out on a limb and bought the 5000, swing with limited bending ! Thats why I say, If your panning a stream and finding nothing "MOVE". Why spend countless hours on maybe, when theres nothing there to start with. BUT you do need to try, Pan both sides of the water course, if nothing, do you know what that means? It means NOTHING there! That terrible saying, Gold is where you find it?

Back to top Go down

how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground  Empty replay to Muraku

Post  goldquest Sun May 01, 2011 9:20 am

I am sorry Muraku if I give you the impression to demanding you to put me onto some gold, it wasn't my intension, I was just asking to the expert, out there, how can I recognize deep or shallow ground.
You can keep all the gold you find, I don't want it.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 01, 2011 3:09 pm

goldquest wrote:

every holes that I dig at the bottom I found clay and not rocks, what is the difference, do I have to keep on digging?
Goldquest

hi mate
differant places have differant "bottoms"..sometimes it's slate,rock,clay and sometimes there is no bottom there's just a recent run
of alluvial near the surface.

what i'm saying is there is no "one answer fit's all".....so i would suggest that you do a course through a detecting shop like
coiltek or bendigo gold.
it is also good to do a gold tour with golden triangle tours or gold prospecting australia.
another good sugggestion would be join a club,theres some from melbourne,you will find there details in the club section.
you will find most clubs are full of people that are only too happy to help out a newby and it's much easier to "show" someone rather
than try and put it in words on a computer.
cheers fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun May 01, 2011 3:19 pm

fencejumper wrote:
goldquest wrote:

every holes that I dig at the bottom I found clay and not rocks, what is the difference, do I have to keep on digging?
Goldquest

hi mate
differant places have differant "bottoms"..sometimes it's slate,rock,clay and sometimes there is no bottom there's just a recent run
of alluvial near the surface.

what i'm saying is there is no "one answer fit's all".....so i would suggest that you do a course through a detecting shop like
coiltek or bendigo gold.
it is also good to do a gold tour with golden triangle tours or gold prospecting australia.
another good sugggestion would be join a club,theres some from melbourne,you will find there details in the club section.
you will find most clubs are full of people that are only too happy to help out a newby and it's much easier to "show" someone rather
than try and put it in words on a computer.
cheers fencejumper

Thank you very much fencejumper, next wednesday I will join Sumbury Metal Detecting Club, I hope that will help to get some experience, and I will get in contact with David at Bendigo Gold, where I bought all my equipment including two metal detectors, he can propably give me some answer at all my questions.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 01, 2011 3:37 pm

goldquest wrote:I am sorry Muraku if I give you the impression to demanding you to put me onto some gold, it wasn't my intension, I was just asking to the expert, out there, how can I recognize deep or shallow ground.
You can keep all the gold you find, I don't want it.
Cheers
Goldquest

I and others told you in various ways where and how to get that information thats the problem with this type of communication ,its so impersonal , I was not including you in my soap box rant and in hind sight I should have put that in another post . Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun May 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes murachu, everybody have tried to help me in different ways, but being new to this kind of activity, I find it hard to understand, maybe like zacaboy said once I now what to look for it all will starts to make sense...
That is why Wednsday I will join a metal detecting club to try to understan what to look for.
Cheers
Goldquest

Last edited by goldquest on Sun May 01, 2011 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 01, 2011 4:23 pm

goldquest wrote:Yes murachu, everybody have tried to help me in different ways, but being new to this kind of activity, I find it hard to understand, maybe like zacaboy said once I now what to look for it all will starts to make sense...
That is why Wednsday I will join a metal detecting club to try to understan what to look for.
Cheers
Goldquest

I wish you well on your journey and remember any gold found is a bonus! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  VK3MNM Sun May 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Be nice to see how you get on joining the Sunbury club, i tried a week or two ago and got a message back saying membership declined?
Good luck with your attempt.
Cheers Illya

goldquest wrote:
Thank you very much fencejumper, next wednesday I will join Sumbury Metal Detecting Club, I hope that will help to get some experience, and I will get in contact with David at Bendigo Gold, where I bought all my equipment including two metal detectors, he can propably give me some answer at all my questions.
Cheers
Goldquest
VK3MNM
VK3MNM
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Rwork Sun May 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Goldquest is a photographer so i am hoping his first gold is big enough not to need a macro lense.Best of luck and hope you find some good ground soon.I see Illya's post about membership,some of the clubs have that many members now that they don't really chase new members.It is hard finding a camp site near gold that can hold a lot of people.I went to a seekers camp out last year and there were more than 70 people around the fire.
Rwork

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 01, 2011 6:33 pm

He could join the A.G.P. im sure they will let him join Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Mate all the advice given here is spot on over time as you settle into prospecting you are going to use every bit of it and then some. But as you are finding out it is the starting up which is the first big step what zaccaboy and Fenchjumper
Have stated is first class advice and it is that which you must seek. Best of luck.
James 101
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun May 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Rwork wrote:Goldquest is a photographer so i am hoping his first gold is big enough not to need a macro lense.Best of luck and hope you find some good ground soon.I see Illya's post about membership,some of the clubs have that many members now that they don't really chase new members.It is hard finding a camp site near gold that can hold a lot of people.I went to a seekers camp out last year and there were more than 70 people around the fire.
Rwork

Thank you Rwork, I will keep my macro lens ready just in case, my first nugget was 4.6 gr. i posted the photo in my album, the second is 2.9 gr the third 1.3 and last one 0.7.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 02, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Goldquest,
Type "Lay of the land" into the search window on the top rhs of the website.Go to the post' lay of the land'The info there can answer some of your questions
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Mon May 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Dig24crt wrote:Hi Goldquest,
Type "Lay of the land" into the search window on the top rhs of the website.Go to the post' lay of the land'The info there can answer some of your questions
Cheers Dig

Thank you Dig, finally I think I found what I was looking for, very informative and interesting post, I will tresure the informations, tomorrow I will go out and, thanks to all the suggestions, I hope to find something ( gold ). Wink
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Thu May 19, 2011 9:13 pm

[quote="VK3MNM"]Be nice to see how you get on joining the Sunbury club, i tried a week or two ago and got a message back saying membership declined?
Good luck with your attempt.
Cheers Illya

Hi Illya, I don't know what was the problem with your request of joining Sumbury Detecting Club, because I received my membership card yesterday.
Cheers
Goldquest

[

Last edited by goldquest on Thu May 19, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

how to recognize deep ground or shallow ground  Empty Deep or shallow.

Post  jayvee Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi,an old prospector once told me ,"LOOK TO SEE IF THE TREES HAVE FALLEN OVER"then the ground is shallow,hope this helps,it does for me.

quote="goldquest"]Hi guys, I am new at this game, can anyone help me with this question: how do I know if the ground where I am detecting is deep or shallow?
Cheers
Goldquest [/quote][i]
jayvee
jayvee
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down