Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Broad Ground noise and deep buried targets question.

Go down

Long Broad Ground noise and deep buried targets question. Empty Long Broad Ground noise and deep buried targets question.

Post  relichunter2 Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:52 am

I have a question regarding long broad ground noise and deep buried targets. I have been using my 18" Commander Mono coil in an area where I have found some nice size gold. The nuggets I have recovered all have given me a nice soft tone covering a a foot before it would tone out. As I swing back again the tone comes and disappears after I move the coil a foot the opposite direction. As I dig down, the tone gets louder and the length of the tone shortens each swing. So I have been digging all those signals that sound soft and deep. But I have noticed at times a tone that covers a much broader area, lets say from start to finish 2-3 feet swing I get this low soft tone. I have been ignoring it to ground noise, but now I am starting to think perhaps I should dig down and see if the tone gets louder and maybe it's a deep target. Can a large nugget sound this way deep down? I recovered a 5 gram nugg. down at least 18" with the 18" Mono so I am impressed with it. So I figure a larger multi-ounce nugget down 3 feet would give a louder tone. My settings on the 4500 on the front panel are General, Normal, Fixed tracking, and Mono. I have used Enhanced and noticed a reduction in depth, so I use General mode. My back panel settings are pretty much factory preset, I may tweek here or there. So I suppose it's a multi question, can deep large targets give a long broad low tone signal? And what settings would you guys use if you were searching for multi-gram to multi-ounce nuggets down deep with a Mono coil? I do realize there are a lot of variables involved do to mineralization and other conditions. Thanks for all your help.

relichunter2
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2013-03-03

http://www.goldrushtradingpost.net

Back to top Go down

Long Broad Ground noise and deep buried targets question. Empty Re: Long Broad Ground noise and deep buried targets question.

Post  Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:08 am

G'day relichunter2

can deep large targets give a long broad low tone signal?
Yes, but so can other things like a mineralized pocket of clay, also old charcoal from a burnt out tree root, and various types of rocks.

When your getting gold in the area and it is chunky and deep like you say, then I would be digging a couple of these noises/signals and investigate as to what is giving them. At least that way your not going to wonder what it is, and it wont take that long to find out by digging a few.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Long Broad Ground noise and deep buried targets question. Empty Re: Long Broad Ground noise and deep buried targets question.

Post  relichunter2 Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for your reply, I went back and found some of those broad long tones and did as you suggested. I only had time for two, and they were both small nuggs. One was 1.84 G the other 1.94 G.They were both on shallow bedrock about 7 inches down.  Thanks again Davsgold!

Last edited by relichunter2 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

relichunter2
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi relichunter2,
What is your signal set on the detector?

No.1 rule DIG EVERYTHING

GoldEN

Last edited by golden on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Back to top Go down

Post  relichunter2 Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 am

Golden,

Yes it's a long ground noise that covers full swing back and forth. What I have discovered is, like you said dig all ..Period ! On the long broad sounds I dig down center of the range and very quickly I figure if its a ground noise or if tone gets louder , a deep target.

Dave...that's what i am doing as of now, the thought of NOT digging a target..knowing it could be a huge nugget. The largest nugget was one of those that I almost left because it was the end of my day hunting and I was tired. something in my head said...just finish this hole and go home. Thankfully, I did just that and was rewarded with not one nugget, but two monster nuggs...its a true story..sorry ..no pictures Wink 

relichunter2
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down