Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coils that come with Detectors

Go down

Coils that come with Detectors Empty Coils that come with Detectors

Post  bluepoint Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi guys new to the forum and the gold detecting scene, I have hired a couple of detectors 4500 and 5000 (with a Lesson in Bendigo) I found a 1 gram piece on my second day so i understand the basics.
I have just bought a gpx4500 with all the gear.
First of all it came with 2 coils one white one measuring 11" across, is this the DD coil that they come with new?
The other one is a coiltek MONO that measures 470mm x 300mm what can i expect from this coil (ie better for deeper gold, mineralised ground, ect)?
What soil timmings and search modes do each coil suit and which one would i be better off learning with (mainly detect in the weddaburn area)?
Any help would be greatly apreciated cheers.

bluepoint
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-01-09

Back to top Go down

Coils that come with Detectors Empty Re: Coils that come with Detectors

Post  Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 pm

G'day bluepoint & welcome to the forum

To answer your question, "First of all it came with 2 coils one white one measuring 11" across, is this the DD coil that they come with new?"

Yes if it has a blue patch with the words "GP series" it's the DD coil that comes with the detector when new.

The Minelab 11" mono coil would have "Commander Mono" in red writing on it.

There are plenty of suggested settings through the forum, you can use the search for this.

A bit of a quick guide is to use the DD coil in normal timings and the mono coil in enhance timings, and start of with most other settings close to the factory presets (FP) and read and trial the areas you want to detect in.

If you can go out with someone that has plenty of experience with one of these machines that is prepared to give you some help, this will be a huge advantage.

The other way is to go out on one of the one day tours that some of the detecting supply shops offer for eg: Coiltek in Maryborough VIC

Most of all enjoy you hobby and good luck.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepoint Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Cheers thanks Dave, it must be the DD then. Would I be better off using the DD or the larger mono coil?

bluepoint
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:28 pm

bluepoint wrote:Cheers thanks Dave, it must be the DD then. Would I be better off using the DD or the larger mono coil?

We do a lot of detecting with an 11" Minelab Commander mono coil, and don't use the DD very often. We also use a variety of coil sizes and shapes, 14"x9" elipitical shape in a mono, 17"x11" elip shape in a mono, also 16" round in a mono and a 14" round in a mono, and and occasionaly a 20" round mono.

But we do carry a couple of DD just in case we need to use one, which is not very often I must say.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepoint Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:21 pm

I just found a piece of paper with the books I got with detector and it has settings for the mono coil and it reads: CTM 18x12E
DD mode
Enhanced
Deep
Vol limit: 12. T/vol: 16
Gb. : general. Stab: 6
Motion. : med. Resp: normal
Trackin : med. Spec: s/smooth
Gain. : 11. Disc: off
Audio. : deep
A/tone : 50
Signal. : 18
Do these settings sound like a good starting point? scratch

bluepoint
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 am

bluepoint wrote:I just found a piece of paper with the books I got with detector and it has settings for the mono coil and it reads: CTM 18x12E
DD mode MONO or DD
Enhanced
Deep G
Vol limit: 12.
T/vol: 16
Gb. : general.
Stab: 6
Motion. : med. SLOW
Resp: normal
Trackin : med.
Spec: s/smooth
Gain. : 11.
Disc: off
Audio. : deep
A/tone : 50 38
Signal. : 18 19
Do these settings sound like a good starting point? scratch

Not to bad for a start but I put in BLUE beside the ones I would use

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 am

bluepoint wrote: Would I be better off using the DD or the larger mono coil?
hi
davsgold has pretty well covered it. all i might add is the gpx machines were made for mono coils , you wont use the dd much , and being new to the game i suggest you get a smaller mono , maybe the 11" commander or a 14x9. you will find the smaller coils much more user friendly
cheers dfave

Back to top Go down