Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you actually find your nugget?

+5
nero_design
shebabrock
malcolm mclean
deutran
granite2
9 posters

Go down

Did you actually find your nugget? Empty Did you actually find your nugget?

Post  Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:49 pm

i was sitting and talking to a few people and we started talk about our finds we have found from when we had started this great hobby we love. it come up half way through a story about the nugget that was ment to been found in america at an old gold mine on a blokes property, but they found out that the nugget was found in australia. i sat there and commented i wonder how many people clame that they have found gold but realy have brought it off ebay or another prospector. it realy got us thinking about then, i know i never have done it and i don't think i have met anyone who but you just never know.
cheers
stoppsy

ps i just had to put this post as it would be good to know if anyone has had the same thoughts or have found someone out.

Back to top Go down

Did you actually find your nugget? Empty Re: Did you actually find your nugget?

Post  Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:54 pm

It would be a very sad day to stoop to those lengths! I could see it being done to promote some area to increase traffic and sales?

Last edited by someday on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:59 pm

I heard about the bloke you are talking about stroppsy. I think he did it to try and promote his land wich he was going to sell to a mining company or prospectors. I heard a few storys of land being "salted" to get more money for it than it was worth but to try and lie about something on that scale Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 pm

I have known several people who were club members and secretly bought nuggets just to show off at meetings and win monthly comps.

Some people have very small ambitions but still cheat.!!!
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:24 pm

granite2 wrote:I have known several people who were club members and secretly bought nuggets just to show off at meetings and win monthly comps.

Some people have very small ambitions but still cheat.!!!
that's just sad to do something like that. i love showing off gold that i have found none of the finds to date are not big but i still love unearthing it tho.
cheers
stoppsy

Last edited by stoppsy on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Stoppsy
I think a lot of this comes back to the personal reasons people detect for gold.Some see it as a competition and bragging rights.Others for the monetary value.
For the genuine detectorists I think its for the personal challenge of a difficult but rewarding goal,the enjoyment of the bush and nature and finally posting the results to encourage and spur on each other.
Sometimes people that blame everybody and everything else for their lack of results and cynical attitude are the ones that start these rumours about legit prospectors who are successful.
Most of the prospectors that I,ve met are very open and honest about their finds and quite often provide photos of their trips etc.You can see they thoroughly enjoy their hobby and are happy to share and learn.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  malcolm mclean Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:51 pm

hi stoppsy Nowyou know why never go into a fishing contest its been won before you dangle a line ex kiwi afro afro lol!

malcolm mclean
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  shebabrock Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:51 pm

I for one freely admit to buying gold nuggets from ebay,gold shops,prospectors.I will be starting my first detecting adventure into finding gold for myself this year.And i would never show/tell that any the nuggets i have paid for as ones that i have found.In fact should i be lucky enough to find any for myself,that will be kept seperate so i can proudly show it off knowing that i did find it myself.

shebabrock
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:13 pm

I've been working on several books on gold and I know there's no chance I can find every type of gold out there to photograph. The only thing I didn't bother to source was wire-gold because it's fairly rare. This led me to buy some nicer specimens which I later resold online. In fact, I did so well in reselling them that in future years I occasionally bought gold that I felt was going below the expected price and years later sold it again for 40% more and at the current gold price. I also enjoy lighting and photographing other people's gold nuggets when they allow me... this allows me to make a record of a nice nugget and still retain my cash. A good prospectors should know a good nugget or a good deal when they see one and if you can afford to buy them occasionally, you might even get a collection going. Who among you wouldn't buy something large like the Hand Of Faith if you could afford it and the price was right? It would make a handsome office display. That's also one of the reasons I collect meteorites. A nice, large, well shaped meteorite makes for a very distinct discussion piece. Unfortunately, most of the meteorites I find look like rusty rocks.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:26 pm

I know a prospector that frequents Cordell Kents gold shop in Ballarat and buys nuggets, then claims to have found them in the field!

Same nuggets have now been found on over 20 goldfields by now? Watching him detect i doubt he has ever found a single bit!

He visited Western Australia a few years back with some mates, and got caught buying gold in Kalgoolie then claimed to have found em?

His wife would not grant leave passes for prospecting unless he finds gold, so i guess its his escape!

Back to top Go down

Post  the speciman Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 pm

GDAY GUYS AND GALS

ye i know blokes who brag about they fishin prowess and when they come home empty handed they go and buy fish from a shop and change the wrapping paper to make out they caught it dow

good scratchin

cheers the speciman

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Chimpy Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 am

G'day
Never done it but was bloody tempted to when I first got into this caper. The missus was such a doubting-thomas about the idea and after the first few empty handed trips would roll her eyes and give me the "told you so" & "your wasting your time" lectures.

The thought crossed my mind just to shut her up. Luckily my golding improved Smile

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 am

the problem i have now is my wife now thinks i should be comming home with gold all the time, as lucky as i have been it's has been happening but there's that day when i will come home with nothing and then the hole thing will change. then i might have to start buying and sayin look what i found.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 am

Good one Chimpy Very Happy Never thought about it like that Smile Not sure it would work too good for "Sorry honey, I'm leaving you"? Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am

In the book "Gateways to Gold" there is mention of salting mines, sometimes a shotgun cartridge filled with fine gold was fired into the face of a drive to deceive prospective buyers.

Here is a more recent case.
http://sgp1.paddington.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/cover_stories/article_1276.asp?s=1
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Did you actually find your nugget? Empty wrong gold nugget for GGT

Post  mark garrett Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 am

Wrote a story to GGT about WA, and they put a photo of a 7 ounce nugget found in vic by BOM . in that story..
GGT did not know that it had been in another mag I got some bad feedback not my mistake.
mark garrett
mark garrett
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2012-11-19

Back to top Go down

Did you actually find your nugget? Empty re; did you actually find that nugget.

Post  Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm

yeah chimpy i think that roll of the eyes must be a built in thing Very Happy i see the same thing at my place often Smile b Smile ut yeah i have swaped smaller nuggets for jewerly for larger nuggets in the past gram for gram.but did i claim i found them no.

Back to top Go down