Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find?

+6
skaufman
kon61
maka
Goldbait
deutran
neo__04
10 posters

Go down

Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find? Empty Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find?

Post  neo__04 Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:13 am

Hey all,

Just chasing some general advice. Trying to get used to my gear and work out what I should and shouldnt be finding.

I have a GP extreme, standard round coils that came with it and just recently purchased
a 14 x 9 nugget finder. Have been detecting on and off for a few years with no success on gold. I think the 14x9 is a great little performer, finding an old round relic of some variety, around 70mm round in undisturbed soil a bit over 2 foot down, was very impressed with that. But im not sure about its ability to detect smaller stuff.

From what i read is resonably good at detecting sub grammers a few inches down, but with my combination of settings and just testing with some led splitshot, I dont know whether I would actually dig the target from the signal it gives me, barely audible, with a .7g target.

Is there any sort of guide that says "XX coil" should detect.... 1" down - .2g+, 2" down - .5g+ etc etc.

Im sure a lot of it has to do with my settings, but i would like to know what i SHOULD expect to find with my setup at what depth and if i cant, fiddle with settings, then panic..

Hope this makes sense, I can go out some days with full confidence, then do a few split shot test and be completely confused.

Maybe I need to be out detecting with someone experienced with the extreme as guidance.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find? Empty Re: Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find?

Post  deutran Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:27 am

Hi Neo 04
The 14"x9" is one of the best all round coils.It can certainly find 0.5g at at least 3-5" our best was 14g at 17" and just recently a 4.4g flat bit at 14".It will easily get down to 0.1g at say an inch.It is very suitable for nuggets in the range of 0.1-2.0g.
If you are using a lead shot target to test it won't respond like gold,however the target should respond at a few inches.Make sure you are selecting mono on your settings and your threshold is not too high.If you are around Inglewood pm me and I will assist you.
Steve

Last edited by deutran on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find? Empty Re: Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find?

Post  Goldbait Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 am

neo, it's those barely audible noises that you are looking for when detecting.

the 14x9 coil is probably one of the better coils you can run on that machine.

i've picked up nuggets 0.2 and 0.4g with the coiltek 14x9. I also heard a 1g nugget at 6 inches after another member found it and i ran my coil over the signal before the ground was disturbed.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:11 pm

I have an extreme and run a 5 x9 mono for sniffing the small stuff, and depth on it is incredible.
Also a 24x12 it picks up anything down to .3 if set right.
I have found the 350mm terracotta mono is like swinging a dead sting ray,,its not my cuppa tea..
What really suprised me was the 11 mono from a 5000. Its a brilliant all rounder, a cross between the 24 inch and the 5x9.
The extreme is a weird machine as far as noises go, wind, lightning, hot rocks, mineralisation, planes, power lines, motor bikes, etc, all play havoc.
But its god to see peoples face when i say a plane, gust of wind etc is coming, as i now know the particular noises from each.

I dare say the coil you have would be an awsome match for the extreme. And when u get just a slight noise, scrape the top 2 inches off and swing again.
I have a 8 inch broom stick with a rare earth magnet on it. I scrape the first 2 inches, swipe the magnet over the soil, pick up all the hot rocks and swing again, but before you swing over it, scuff it with your boot, as you will get a negative signal after you magnetize the ground..
You will soon learn that minerals make a invertered noise, and targets make a higher pitched noise, starting low , going high , and finishing low. minerals are the opposite, they start high bellow out and go high at the end.
Wire will make a positive noise but if you listen carefully theres 2 highs in the middle.
lead will scream. gold will be mellower unless its big.
As the guys say its the faint ones most people like myself walk over when starting out, and i know i still do even with a few hundred hours under my belt in the last few months.
Have a break every half hour or when the noises drone together, and you get mentally tired.
Turn your threshold just up enough to hear it, and then just a fly bit more. Each machine will vary i guess but that works for me..
Go sensative and deep, with larger coils, and if a small coil will run in that mode do it, but mine wont , its just too sensative, so i knock it back to normal on all switches in the ground i work.
Every half hour or so throw a test piece down, just to confirm you havent ground balanced over the threshold to find small stuff.
My machine in really hot ground wont find small stuff, as the ground is hotter than the gold.
I think you need to swing any coil for 2 or 3 days before you know its language, as every coil is different and requires different settings.
I would love to get feedback on what you find out, as i am always interested in the performance of coils..
We nee an advantage to keep up with these guys swinging new fangled machines... PMSL...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 pm

G'day Neo_04.

Sounds like your coil works just fine.Spend a bit more ground time with it and your Extreme.Its through the many different size,shape and composition of material that one becomes familiar with their coil/machines capabilities. There is no real guide that says "X" coil should detect at "X" amount of depth on a particular type and size target,apart from air testing and even air tests can be far from accurate compared to targets that have been buried in the ground over a period of time. The 14x9 NF elliptical is more than capable of detecting to 0.1gm gold on or an inch or so off the surface.There are many other factors which determine detection depth on a particular type/size target,such as target composition, orientation of target as compared to coil field,electrical conductivity of target,target density, mineralization surrounding the target and probably the most important of all is the targets halo effect.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find? Empty From tiny to big, this coil has found it all

Post  skaufman Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi there,

I just thought that i would add my 5 cents worth. This is the coil that i have found 95% of my gold with. We started detecting 2 years ago with a 4500 and we were advised to get this coil. I have only once used the DD supplied and the the remainder of the time have used this coil until recently. We are up in the Pilbara where the ground is heavily mineralised.

We now also use a number of other coils including the 30x7, 10x5, 6, 16 and 18 rounds. But we always revert to this coil. We have found <.1 grammers all the way up to some much larger stuff.

The sub grammers have been found down to over 12 inches and the bigger stuff to well over 2 feet!

The coil does sound off if knocked against something but has proved to be excellent. Following 2 years of fairly hard use i have just replaced it with the Coiltek 14x9 Blitz coil.

Regards

skaufman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Skaufman
How do you find the Blitz coil,I haven't heard any feedback on these yet.I never had any issues with the 14"x9" sounding off I could pretty much do anything with it mine was the early series NFA grey.It was second hand when I bought it and after 2 years off use still works perfect.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  skaufman Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Not used the blitz yet, i will report back in time.
I didn't reead the title as you guys are talking about the NF coils not the Coilteks.
Sorry

skaufman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Neo. just to give u some more confidence in that coil.

if the coiltek 11" mono wasn't such a great coil. the one u are running would be my next option.

Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  harrysheroes Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:51 pm

I have had a 14x9 NFA coil for about 4 months the first one went touch sensitive after about 3 weeks, until that happened we found about 3 ounces of gold ranging from 0.1 up to 8.9 grams,

It replacement from reeds under warranty has been excellent and very stable finding plenty of gold ranging from bits that dont register on scales up to 3.5 grams, All our gold has been found at a depth no greater than 4 inches and all in the pilbara wa.

They are great coils and will see you right.
Good luck detecting
Marty
harrysheroes
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:51 am

Gday

I just found out yesterday that Nuggetfinder are now doing all their advantage series coils in solid body coils, there are many listed on ebay, even the 14x9, of course there would be a weight difference but being a coil of that size it would be minimal I would think.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:19 pm

being all solid definately isn't a bad thing.. yes you get maybe 10 - 20% more weight, but the ease of being able to push the coil on and through grass is so much easier when prospecting.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Neo
Do you run a signal enhancer/ audio booster of any sort on your extreme? As from what I have learnt this seems to be the single most important add on to the SD & Gp detectors (not sure about the GPX's), To give you an example, I use an SD2200d with signal booster & 20" NF mono, my detecting mate has an Extreme his booster was broken using a 14x9 NF adv, on a small patch when he got a signal I tested it with mt unit on a range of tatget sizes my unit always gave a better target signal, hope this helps a little.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find? Empty 14"X9"

Post  Peaky Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi All

New to this forum
I have a 14" X 9" and love it
The best coil I have at this stage.
Attached is my finds on one trip this year (Was going to attach a pic but can't work it out )

Last edited by Peaky on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peaky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:36 pm

G'day Peaky, and welcome to the forum.

Here is a video on posting pictures done by one of the members, others have found it usefull.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t4882-easy-way-of-posting-pictures-on-the-forum

There are other ways as well but give this a go and see if you can get some of those pictures up for us to look at.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggetninja69 Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I also have this coil and just found my first nugget with it on my gp3000. The nugget is .7 of a gram and was 5" down. Cheers
nuggetninja69
nuggetninja69
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Peaky Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:04 pm

I hope this works this time

All found with the 14x9 NFA
Love this coil have used it on three different gold fields and have not even done a auto tune or changed any settings on my 4500

Nugget Filder 14 x 9 - What should it find? Img-2018

Peaky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down