Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hi all need help to find my first nugget

+3
gollstar
kon61
nuggertman
7 posters

Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty hi all need help to find my first nugget

Post  nuggertman Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 pm

hi all again. i need help 2 years havent found a nuggert /// i have been all around hillend and goulburn still nothing i need help //// i dont like to ask but some times you have to so if any 1 can give some advice where to go just to fine a small nuggert i would be v v v v happy thx u john
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty Re: hi all need help to find my first nugget

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi John, firstly what detector are you using? If it's a Minelab and you bought it new, have you done the free training day?

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty hi there

Post  nuggertman Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:39 pm

hi there .. well all i have is a xterra at the moment // all i can aford at this time // they are easy to use// i know i neeh a better 1 and bigger 1 .. no i have had no training i would like to meet some 1 or a club /// when u get in to some thing it hard at first ..... so any advice // i would realy appreciated it thank you verry much john
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty Re: hi all need help to find my first nugget

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi John, I have nil experience with the Xterra, but there are a few here who have and hopefully someone will chime in.

On the main index page there is a section on prospection and detecting clubs with a sub catagory for NSW and ACT.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty help

Post  nuggertman Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 pm

thx m8 realy appreciated thx aga
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:03 pm

G'day Nuggertman.

John.Use your 18.5khz 10x5 elliptical DD, in "prospecting mode"(if you've got one),.They offer better stability on hotter ground,(than your 9"round concentric coil) for small nuggets and are designed for gold prospecting.As for prospecting ground,look for places of exposed slate bar workings,whether on a flat or in a creek bed, to start off with,and see how you go from there.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty help

Post  nuggertman Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:15 pm

thanks mate i will try thx u
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:21 pm

i got timed out after writing a big post@@@@ i was gonna say watch what gear the compitition is using, coil size, what type of ground they are pulling nuggets from, the size of the nuggets,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2EmdietVdc&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--EOnlYxBoI&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcZFD-nIHTQ&feature=related

and just move everything logs, branches, leaf litter, rocks get your coil there, spend five to 10 minutes looking at the ground and pick out areas that no coil has ever been over, im not joking when i say if theres a tree stump in my way and i think its worth the effort to put my coil where no coil has ever been before its gone outta there, i can hedge my bets and wander around for half an hour or i can put my pick to use for half an hour and get maybe 1 square feet of virgin ground on some of the richest and most hamered ground there is, the effort may one day be rewarded with a very large nugget indeed, i always replace the stumps back where they come from. you never know you might find a 5 ouncer under a tree branch hope you find somthing.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/109725/hill-end-gold-deposits.pdf

a map

Last edited by gollstar on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Chookfoot Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 pm

I had a xterra70 for a couple of years, what a great VLF, the 10x5 double D helps on the noisy ground.
I would be looking for shallow, junky ground. Take advantage of the xterra's strengths.
It's got great discrimination, Very light weight, poke that coil in all the nooks and crannies.
Look for small species around reef workings. You can carry that tiny detector into those scrubby spots around old mine shafts etc.
Have confidence in your xterra, it will find gold if you pass the coil over it, so long as the soil is not too deep or too noisy.
Chookfoot
Chookfoot
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty thx u

Post  nuggertman Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

hi m8 thx u verry much i will do this
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggertman Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:41 pm

gollstar wrote:i got timed out after writing a big post@@@@ i was gonna say watch what gear the compitition is using, coil size, what type of ground they are pulling nuggets from, the size of the nuggets,

and just move everything logs, branches, leaf litter, rocks get your coil there, spend five to 10 minutes looking at the ground and pick out areas that no coil has ever been over, im not joking when i say if theres a tree stump in my way and i think its worth the effort to put my coil where no coil has ever been before its gone outta there, i can hedge my bets and wander around for half an hour or i can put my pick to use for half an hour and get maybe 1 square feet of virgin ground on some of the richest and most hamered ground there is, the effort may one day be rewarded with a very large nugget indeed, i always replace the stumps back where they come from. you never know you might find a 5 ouncer under a tree branch hope you find somthing.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/109725/hill-end-gold-deposits.pdf

a map
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 pm

gollstar wrote:i got timed out after writing a big post@@@@ i was gonna say watch what gear the compitition is using, coil size, what type of ground they are pulling nuggets from, the size of the nuggets,

I no longer use the madtuna account Gollstar...lost password.....That one and more are now under BusterFuggly.
You bring up a good point too....trees. I have found a good few nuggets in the roots of fallen trees. If I see a freshly fallen tree...I'm there in a heart beat!

Last edited by madtuna on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:48 pm

I should have warned that there may be random coulorful language used in those videos.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi John
Try to aquire a couple of small nuggets say 1g, 2g say of ebay or something.Take them out with you to your search areas and do some tests so you can compare the results to this forum.At least you be confident whilst searching.If it doesnt stack up to the task you could trade/exchange for a SD2000/2100.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty hi all

Post  nuggertman Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:20 pm

hi again well went to hill end stayed the nite coldddd. tryed saturday sunday every where me and my son looked under rockes in wombat holes rabbits holes .. longs but no good .. i realy put a lot of work into it .. even on the way home i stopped and looked ////// i think the only place i am going to find gold is fort knoks ...[ haaa lol] . i just have to keep trying .. thx 4 all the help guys .. john
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Nuggertman,

I missed you at the pub but I forgot to add. I use channel 25 on my handheld uhf when I 'm at hill end. I wont be going again for at least a month but I'll give you a PM before I go and have a chat.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty hi davo

Post  nuggertman Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 pm

good to hear from you//yea what happen is i got lost /// at the river so me and camped near the river.. near a big fire place made out of rocks mybe u know it ???. ar we had a very bad day sat an sun nothing but junk/// tryed on the way home but no good / davo i have been thing about a place in beteen forbes an molong is that rite ..... might give it a try // oh y i didnt go to the pub /// i thought id get lost by this time it was dark lol ok hear from you soon i hope john
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi John, sorry we missed you. There very regularly though so maybe next time....know that fire place well!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi John, with the detector you have i would recommend giving Hill End- Tambaroora another go. There are shallow nuggets there waiting to be found, scattered evenly throughout the kilometeres of diggings. You do need to detect under bushes and every nook and cranny. Its a huge area with plenty of spots that a coil has not been passed over. many people have found there first detected nugget there

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:04 pm

I agree, I got my first nugget there about a month ago after 15 months of going there and getting nothing but junk. I also got some cool junk like a cricket belt buckle, old clocks, buttons, a coin and heaps of lead. However I have never come home with no gold. I make sure I jump in the creek and dig some flakes in the creek not far from that brick fireplace. I often bring home buckets of carefully selected dirt to pan during the wait for the next trip.

Keep at it cause from all the junk, there are heaps of places that have never seen a detector.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

hi    all  need help to find my first nugget Empty hi

Post  nuggertman Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm

hi davo i give it another try ..if i dont fine a bit of gold soon yous will kick me of this cite lol c u m8
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down