Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nugget Finder 16" mono

+6
Scrubhen
Ayounomad
Alan WA
deutran
dryblower
TutC
10 posters

Go down

Nugget Finder 16" mono Empty Nugget Finder 16" mono

Post  TutC Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi Chaps,
Never hear of anybody using the 16" NF mono spoked coil (white in colour). Bought one years back when I used to swing a 3500, but could never run it quiet enough so it ended up in the cupboard. Thinking about digging it out and using it on the 5000 next time out. Anybody used and had any success with this coil. Will keep you posted how I go. Cheers and have a happy and prosperous new year. TutC farao
TutC
TutC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Nugget Finder 16" mono Empty Re: Nugget Finder 16" mono

Post  dryblower Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Tut
This is my favorite coil on a GP Extream and it works well on my 5000 also .
Mine is a little more touch sensative than the new NF Advantage , but it has better depth than the 17 x 11 on bigger bits.
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Tutc
There are 2 experienced prospectors that I detect with that use these(4 spoke S/L) on the 5000 most of the time and do pretty well.They are definitely getting larger missed gold in the 3g range.I haven't had a chance to try one yet and was wondering how they compare to the NFA's.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:31 pm

A very good coil on the 4000 and 4500 but
I think there might be some issues on the 5000.
Might be why Dryblowers is a bit touch sensitive.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  TutC Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info chaps. Going out in a few days so it sounds like it will be worth giving it a go. I usually swing a NF 17" Ellip. on the 5000 so it will be a good chance to compare them and see if it is more sensative as Dryblower says. Thanks again chaps and I'll keep you posted how I go.
TutC farao
TutC
TutC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks Tutc feedback would be appreciated.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Put it on and don't take it of.
DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ayounomad Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:54 pm

G'day all , the 16 inch four spoke mono NF is my FAVOURITE coil { luckiest ?? } by far and have no issues using it on my 4500 or 5000 that do not arise with other coils , The only problem I've ever had is with my 4500 which is sometimes { rarely } erratic on startup , but is quickly remedied by restarting .. A problem of sorts for many modern devices ..not an issue for me so far ....cheers Paul
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 am

Gday

I found the 16" round nuggetfinder sl mono a bit dull on my gpx4500, and so did a mate, In some conditions it may be particularly useful, say where the ground is deep variable and noisy, As discussed on an earlier thread this coil is not supposed to be compatable with the gpx5000 and that could be why its behaving as though it is touch sensitive, its probably more like its just falsing, its something to do with the coils windings.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:01 am

"As discussed on an earlier thread this coil is not supposed to be compatable with the gpx5000 " Think you might find Minelab have a different view on this comment.
Cheers, Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 am

Hi,
Nugget Finder coils, which exactly are you gentlemen referring to as I have a 20” DD switchable XP coil that I have used on 3500 and often wonder if it would also work on the later Minelab detectors.

Thanks
Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:28 am

I used the white fiberglass model on the 3000 and 4000 til i wore it out. (still have it, but its unusable)
Replaced it with the one in question and have tried the newer grey models as well, but will be keeping the white one to use on my 4500 til its worn out.
Used in NSW and Vic and payed for itself a few times over, and hoping it continues the trend here in WA on the 4500.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:15 am

david wrote:"As discussed on an earlier thread this coil is not supposed to be compatable with the gpx5000 " Think you might find Minelab have a different view on this comment.
Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave

Can you please enlighten me as to what Minelab have to say about this coil????, a minelab dealer was the person that first told me that it was not suitable for them??, a link or further information would be useful to everyone concerned.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:14 am

I was using my 16" NF coil yesterday and got 2 small nuggets with it, I'm running the mighty 5000 and have no problems with it apart from pin pointing those small bits.
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 am

Hi Stayyer.
When the 5000 first came out I got a call from some friends in WA who had been told that using the older,light grey, 16 inch could damage their machines.
Contacted Minelab and was told the coil was OK to use but could be a bit harder to GB on some types of ground. I think saying the coil is not compatible might lead people to believe the coil should not be used on the 5000. Have used mine on the 4,45.and 5 and have found on the 5 I probably have to GB a bit more often.
Cheers, Dave.

Last edited by david on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SPELLING)

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 pm

hi david - stayer -
very similar experience for me dave, my 17x11 sl nf mono was and is still the best for 4000 4500 and 5000.
a minelab dealer talked his head off and sold me a new grey elipical 15x10 nf mono. he said the newer technology made this old coil not compatible with the 5000, rubbish, but comparing the two? i will stick to the old white fibreglass one. (paid for itself many many times over).

to keep the old fibreglass coil in operation i have to melt a spare skidplate cut very small, with acetone and seal the cracks that appear on the joins under the skidplate. (a trick a mate in kalgoorlie taught me).

i also noted the older coil obviously has the wiring towards the outside, which makes it very sensitive for pinpointing, and a full 17x11. the newer grey coils, are square shaped and the wiring seems to be more to the inside. so that makes the 15x10, more the size of a 14x9. in comparison, or even a 13x8. there is a huge depth difference between the two coils.
i seem to recall those fellas in WA that were haveing a lot of trouble when the 5000 first came out, the problem was determined to be the extreme hot weather. i may be wrong, but thats what i seem to remember... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Spot on Kev. I used the 17 last year and found you could pin point most .2 /.3s down to the width of the pick blade. Saves a lot of digging.
Cheers, Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:16 pm

kevlorraine2 wrote:hi david - stayer -
i also noted the older coil obviously has the wiring towards the outside, which makes it very sensitive for pinpointing, and a full 17x11. the newer grey coils, are square shaped and the wiring seems to be more to the inside. so that makes the 15x10, more the size of a 14x9. in comparison, or even a 13x8. .. kev

The external diameter of a coil is the measurement the coil manufactures use as the size for the coil however unless the wiring was hard up against the outer edge which I expect is not the case then what Kev says above is spot on and you are using a smaller coil than what you had purchased and therefore a falsely advertised size.

Why can't coil manufactures get it right.

WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down