Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil.

3 posters

Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil. Empty Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil.

Post  AUoptimist Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi All,
Earlier this year MTuna mentioned that NF were going to bring a new 8x6 solid mono coil to market, anyone heard any news as to when it might be available?
This winter I will be poking around in some rocky gullies with my new ML5000 and a 6x8 mono could be a great advantage in this type of country.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil. Empty Re: Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil.

Post  happydiggings Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:08 pm

I have heard the same thing,I use a 12x7 advantage coil on my 5000 works well may look at a 8x6 for the small gold.

Bob Smile

happydiggings
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Back to top Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil. Empty 8x6 NF solid mono coil up-date

Post  AUoptimist Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi Happydiggings,
I have done some further digging on the new NF 8x6 mono coil since my first post.
Nuggets Downunder at Mudgee are taking pre-orders for this coil and apparently they should be available next week some time, we shall have to wait and see.
NF were not available to comment or up-date a delivery time or cost of the coils on Friday last.
Lets hope the 8x6 coil has the pokeability of a six inch coil and the coverage of an eight inch coil, indeed, it should be great for detecting in some tight country, gullies etc.
Cheers, AUoptimist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Boys,as we started to use smaller and smaller coils,we started finding smaller and smaller gold,(0.1gm and below).This in turn,gave birth to the term "Fly Sh*t". I just wonder what new term we'll be using,some time in the near distant future,upon unearthing (0.01gm nuggets and below). Could it be "Fly Dandruff"?.............

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 am

Gday

Sometimes referred to as ant s..t, smaller than fly s..t, I really hate those tiny pieces and after a few minutes of messing about trying to find them I usually just throw the dirt back on the ground, often you will just speck it in the end. Mad

This 8x6 mono would be pretty deadly on small pieces for sure, but not only that small coils are simply designed for access, if you like to work creeks and crevices, or like to get in between the rubble in rocky areas then you simply have to have a small sensitive coil, as I have earlier said I sometimes will use a small coil for patch hunting a hillside or rubble strewn ground for the simple reason I can get the coil in nice and close to the ground, right down in between the rocks, if you are using a bigger coil then you have to wave it above the rocks and will lose quite a bit of its depth capability.

Once you find an indicator or a few pieces then you can shift some of the rubble and get on with the job with a larger coil, the little coils can actually be used also for the purpose of a sort of loaming method where picking up the really small stuff can give you an indication of the direction it runs in, once you have this direction you know where best to concentrate your efforts, this also applies when you are looking for specimen pieces as sometimes they can contain only small amounts of gold and can't be picked up by bigger coils so they are easily missed.

I mainly use the 8" minelab mono, and I have been really surprised by its depth capability on more than one occasion, so if you are working an area that is restricted by rubbly ground or vegetation then dont be afraid to get a small coil on and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you can come up with.

There is also another reason for small coils, some detectorist find bigger coils hard to manage due to various injuries or levels of fitness, and I have even heard people say that they would rather use a small coil and not have to dig big holes, and they are happy to get small bits and pieces as most are close to the surface and only require a bit of a scrape to get them out.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil. Empty RE: New 8x6 NF mono coil.

Post  AUoptimist Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:50 am

Hi All,
As the two previous posters pointed out; it is generally accepted that small coils are great when it comes to locating the small yellow stuff, and working in tight country.
As a newbee at this great hobby, purchased a ML5000 last October and unearthed my first and only small nugget (o.5gram)to date on the first outing.
Being a new chum so to speak any gold at this point in my detecting efforts is both welcome and adds to the learning experience.
A good bit of the country I have been researching and covering with a pan and now a detector is "VERY" rough, steep and covered in rocks and downed timber.
In a lot of instances just walking about some of the real estate is quite difficult, for these reasons I thought this new 8x6 mono coil would be ideal in this type of terrain, my smallest coil is the standard 11 inch mono that comes with the ML5000.
When it comes to the size of the gold found, fly dandruff, or larger it's still gold and from my point of view as a beginner it's quite welcome, who knows there is always the chance that the small stuff could lead to better outcomes.
Bring on the cooler weather.
Cheers, AUoptimist.

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm

G'day AUoptimist.

Don't mind my comments.I like to stir the barrel every now and again. StayyerAU sums it up perfectly. Stayyer,I never thought about that one.From now on "Argentinian ant sh*t it is.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 am

Gday

Well said Kon Laughing

There is nothing wrong with working a spot for small gold, sometimes its harder to find than the slightly bigger pieces so that gives you the chance to hone your skills, in some areas almost all the gold you will find consists of sub gram pieces, hundreds and hundreds of them.

There is just a much enjoyment in working a patch of tiddlers as anything else, and the other thing is when you find a spot like that you just never know what else could be lurking about, so you then start to think about graduating to larger coils, sometimes thats all you will get but if you are consistantly getting bit after bit why would you walk away from it? I dont.

If you prefer to detect for small gold then you need to be using small coils, light and sensitive and small enough to get into all the missed nooks and crannies, years ago while detecting on my own I met with a group of blokes (3) who were working an area that has many scrapes and reef workings, they had been in the area for some ten days and had about 10-15 grams of small pieces each, all were running minelabs, 3000's and one 2200, and all had 14" dd coils on, I camped over with them for the night as I was moving further north the next day, I was running the extreme and mostly used the 8" and 11" mono coils, by that time I had about 30 or so grams of gold and I told them that I mainly used the smaller coils about that area as they were simply more productive.

They were not really believing what I was telling them, anyway next day I left to go further north and spent the next two days working several areas that I had found previously, on the way back home I decided to call in and see if they were still in the area and to see how they were going, they were still there in the same spot, and had picked up a couple of more grams apiece, by this time I had three specimens and many more smaller pieces, about six to seven ounces all up, you should have seen their eyes bulge when I poured that lot out on the table, and to rub salt into the wound I pinged another speci close by where they had been working that had about 15 grams in it, and several more small pieces, they suddenly believed what I was telling them about using smaller coils and think from that day on were converted into the idea that you have to use the types of coils that best suit the ground you are working in order to get the gold, if you spend all your time looking for the glory nugget you could be missing out on lots of other pieces.

I does not always go like this but I can tell you for sure that if you are beating the bush for nothing with a big coil then change tactics and go down to one of your smaller coils, it all adds up and sometimes you simply have to get the grams in order to get the ounces, and its always better to go home with a handful of sub grammers than empty handed, a detector is a tool and the coils we use are a way of making the tool work in different ways, thats all there is to it, devide your detecting sessions up into a portion of the time where you will use a small coil and snoop about the rough areas, and then get a bigger coil on and do the flats or open areas, if there is gold in any form there you will be more likely to get on to it in this way than to doggedly perservere with only one coil.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Nugget Finder 8x6 mono coil. Empty RE:New 8x6 NF mono coil.

Post  AUoptimist Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 am

Hi StayyerAU & Kon,
Thanks for your informative replies, being new to the game every bit of information gained is very welcome.
For those interested, the latest information on the new 8x6 NF mono coil is that we are not likely to see them for a while yet, apparently some unexpected problems with the proto have occured during the testing phase, work in progress.
Cheers, AUoptimist.

Last edited by AUoptimist on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

AUoptimist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down