Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nugget finder advantage 12inch elep mono coil (depth)

3 posters

Go down

Nugget finder advantage 12inch elep mono coil (depth) Empty Nugget finder advantage 12inch elep mono coil (depth)

Post  frankl Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I have a gpx 4500,purchased a nugget finder 12 inch elep mono coil in november.I have found a few very small peices at around 3cms (just over a inch) deep.I have tried burying a 3 gram nugget at 10 cms ( about 4 inches ) and get no signal.The minelab seems to be running well.Are these coils ment to be like this,or is there some way in the settings I can make it go deeper,am I using the wrong coil if I want to go deeper.I'm in the Maryborough Vic area.Can some one advice me if I have the right coil or do I need some other coil that will go deeper.
Thanks again
Frank Smile

frankl
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Nugget finder advantage 12inch elep mono coil (depth) Empty Re: Nugget finder advantage 12inch elep mono coil (depth)

Post  deutran Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi Frank
The coil you are using would be considered a small coil.Most coils in this range should easily pick up a 3g nugget and you should expect a fair bit deeper up to double the depth you are describing.First thought is to return settings back to factory normal,ensure mono is selected,correct ground balance etc.Go back to the manual and work through the quick setup.
The other possibility is the nugget,is it solid or a spec,is it flat or round or coarse as these could have a significant effect on depth.Try a 1 cent coin if you have one or a five cent that should give you something similar for a quick comparison.
If you still have difficulties contact someone from the forum close by who can do a side by side check for you and sort it out.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Nugget finder advantage 12inch elep mono coil (depth) Empty Re: Nugget finder advantage 12inch elep mono coil (depth)

Post  Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:15 am

hi frank
i`ve got the NF 14x7 and the testing i have done is by no means extensive but i have concluded that the 14x7 doesn`t go a hell of a lot deeper than the 8" commander , so i think your 12X7 would have even less depth , but it would be very good on small pieces. i think a very good all round coil is the commander 11" mono and on bigish targets would have a much greater depth than the 12x7 and the 11" is VERY good on small pieces. in all this heat lately i have been using the 8" commander because it is nice and light
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldAddict Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi Frank,
I am using the 8" commander coil on a 5000 and I found a 1.3g nuggy this morning at about 6" deep in Maryborough and you would have to be half deaf to not hear it so I would definately be looking at your settings as 3g at 4" should be a resounding signal that you couldn't miss.
I have never used the 4500 so unsure what settings to advise but doing a factory preset as suggested by deutran would be my first step as you should be getting a lot more depth.
Hope this helps

Cheers,
Peter
GoldAddict
GoldAddict
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi frankl ,
Here is a vid with my 4500 running a 12x7 NFA coil ... just to give you an example .
This little bit weighed 0.39 grams & was sitting quite deep ..
Cheers
gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  frankl Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 pm

thanks for the replys fellows really apreciate them I'm on my way home with a 3 day stop over in Bendigo.If some one is close in Bendigo and would to meet up and give me a few tips would be good.Can you post a link for your Vid Gully hunter it might help me work out where I'm going wrong.
Thanks again for all your help
Frank

frankl
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down