Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The word on coils

+11
kim
Flakmagnet
geof_junk
YibiDavid
deutran
granite2
Narrawa
shelby23
nero_design
paulf
sandy2010
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The word on coils Empty The word on coils

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:51 am

Hi all
Apparently an early 14 mono is a perfect match for the Gpx5000 and Coiltek Maryborough is taking orders.Seems that a local prospector finding multiple ounce chuncks has created a new interest in this coil
Fact
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

The word on coils Empty Re: The word on coils

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:42 am

hi dig
i keep changing what coil i`m using , i`m currently rotating a 14x9 blitz , a 8" commander and a 11" commander , but a few months ago i did get 14 pieces one day with the old style 14" round mono. i might have to throw it back on for a while
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 am

While I can't comment on the older 14" coils, not having used one, I have a real soft spot for the NFA 14" round which has clocked up 20+ oz for me so far.
A good size, easy to swing general purpose coil.

Back to top Go down

Post  sandy2010 Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:41 am

Hi dig,
You did'nt mention which brand of 14" coil.............was it Coiltek or N/F ???

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:45 am

Are you talking about the old 'terracotta' colored coil, if so I used an 11" one on my 4500 and found it really good.

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:53 am

My 4000 runs like a champ with the non litz wire Coiltec Goldstalker 18 Mono Elliptical. Some of the targets it picks up at depth leave me shaking my head Shocked
Same goes for the Coiltec Goldstalker 14 round DD. I tested one for a few weeks when they first came out and it picked up a stack of gold for me in Hot ground where many Mono`s had been before.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:05 am

Hi All,

I found my very first piece of gold with a 14" coiltek coil but would be hard pressed to go back to using it again as i have compared it with a 14x9 N/F and the N/F leaves it for dead in sensitivity and depth

Anything under .3gr hardly existed with the old coil and the N/F would go as low as around .05gr

Why would one walk around with an old 14" round coil when your chances would be better served using the latest N/F 17x11 or the 24x12

In my opinion, jam your old coils as they just don't cut it any more, to use them is leaving gold behind

Madtuna, you surprise me using a 14"N/F coil being semi-pro these days!!!

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:30 am

Why would that suprise you Ron? On shallow and what's concidered to be flogged ground, that 14" has proven itself day after day after day.
While I mainly use two coils, the 18" NFA round and the 14" NFA round, what I quoted is what I got with THAT coil alone.

Different coils for different soils. This year one proffessional I know killed it with the little NF Sadie 8x6, even taking 170 + sub gr. pieces on one day alone.
I myself got 56 pieces out of one patch not much bigger than your dining table with the Commander 8".

P.s... I would hardly call myself a proffessional, just a full time detectorist.
p.p.s.... the size of ones coil has no correlation to the size of ones penis Very Happy
Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by madtuna on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:32 am

I've heard that rumor myself. This is how the coil rumors started in the Sudan a couple of years ago: one guy uses a particular detector with a specific coil, he finds a bit of gold, word gets out and then a rush for that coil begins.

I don't doubt it although I personally feel that more recent coil editions from any of the main three coil manufacturers would be better suited. I'm making this comment only because this is typical human behavior when it comes to coil purchasing behavior... but I suspect the reason this early 14" mono is sought after is not so much because of the specific coil type, but simply because someone found a fair bit of gold with it. And the only reason the prospector was successful in finding such good gold with is is most likely because he had properly tuned (and learned) his GPX-5000 metal detector.

I know you didn't mention coil names but there were a lot of people that insisted on the 14" Early (white/grey) NF coils in recent years as they felt this was an unbeatable coil for large volume gold recovery and reef exploration. Actually, of everyone asking for that "older" coil, not one of them knew what brand coil it was that they should be asking for... so we know this is simply a rush based on rumor and nothing more.

If you were to sticky tape a 20c coin to the front end of your coil and claimed to find three ounces of gold with it the same day, I can assure you that hundreds of hopeful and confident prospectors would be taping 20c coins to their own coils expecting the same results. The following day there would be wildly heated discussions on the various internet forums (including this one) debating what year the 20c coin was that was used by the original prospector. Within a week, there would be at least one more chap finding a kilo of gold in short time with an additional 5c coin taped to the back of the 20c coin which in turn was taped to the successful coil. Two weeks would pass and then we'd see an advertisment in Gold Gem & Treasure magazine for a "Coin'in Booster" which would be a vast improvement on the 20c + 5c coin combo with a custom cut slab of silver plated nickel disc that is three times the size of the 20c coin but would be supported with testimonials written by nameless prospectors claiming great success with the radical new device. It will sell for $290 and will be available in at least fize shapes and sizes depending on the coil used. Those not inclined to fork over $290 when a regular 20c + 5c coin appears to do much the same thing as the CoinĂ­n Booster does will complan about the idiots wasting their hard earned cash. The skeptical people will wonder privately if they ought to just bite the bullet and try it themselves.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 am

Hey Nero,
Should I sticky tape the 20c coin under or over the 5c coin and what type of tape should I use?
Do you know where the coin`in booster is available?
Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:56 am

so THAT`S what i`ve been doing wrong. i`ve only got 10 cent coins taped to my coils. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:14 pm

LOL! Would you believe someone just phoned me (on my private phone) to ask if I could get him a "Coin'in Booster".

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

The word on coils Empty Hi from Neale in Biloela Queensland

Post  shelby23 Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi
I was wondering my detector wasn’t finding gold.
Yes I heard it first on this forum.
I heard Minelab have approved the 20 cent mod now. Very Happy
Chinese Whispers

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

I heard if you hold your mouth to the left while walking with a lean, you'll find more gold.
Yesterday in the hot WA sun i tried it..........its a myth!!

You actually have to hold your mouth to the right.
Very Happy

Just in......those new coil cable clip thingies cause your detectors luminous radiation (Aura)...to output a more balanced field into highly magnetic ground, which intern keeps the electrons flowing in an orderly manner from your battery to your control box.
And we all know if electrons flow in a disorderly manner...all hell breaks loose and internal noise in generated....much like a fire drill in a multicultural factory.

Just in right now!! if detecting in the WA heat, wipe 30+ sunblock on your coil and cover it with glad rap.
Why??....sunblock blocks the sun....self explanatory, glad rap keeps it fresh...self explanatory...but it also keeps the dirt from sticking to your coil...bet ya didn't know that!! Very Happy

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi Dave Sandy and Paul
Yeah apparently its old terracotta coloured coiltek 14 round mono.We certainly have been spoilt by the lightweight 14 x9 monos which equate to a 11 1/2 mono.14 plus 9 divided by two.You would think the 14x9 would have more sensitivity but the 14 round more depth.Anyway with talk of remanufacture it wont hurt hurt to drag this old beast out of the cupboard and give it a burl.
There are coils from the past that have gained legendary status.The Minelab 18 round kevlar Mono and the Coiltek flatlead 14 and 18 dd come to mind
Perhaps the saying many a good tune can be played on an old fiddle is still relevant
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:38 pm

madtuna wrote:Why would that suprise you Ron? On shallow and what's concidered to be flogged ground, that 14" has proven itself day after day after day.
While I mainly use two coils, the 18" NFA round and the 14" NFA round, what I quoted is what I got with THAT coil alone.

Different coils for different soils. This year one proffessional I know killed it with the little NF Sadie 8x6, even taking 170 + sub gr. pieces on one day alone.
I myself got 56 pieces out of one patch not much bigger than your dining table with the Commander 8".

P.s... I would hardly call myself a proffessional, just a full time detectorist.
p.p.s.... the size of ones coil has no correlation to the size of ones penis Very Happy
Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve(Madtuna),

I hear what you are saying about the smaller coils and that combined with the new GPX5000...pretty deadly on the small stuff

Apart from ones size and it does matter!, i would have thought that a 17x11 would do all that your 14" round would do and more, including deaper!

Going on what you said about being a full time detectorist that would make the missus and I full time detectorists..part time as we have to take it day about

Sounds like you did a bit better than us this year, we managed a half kilo.

There wouldn't be a need for a couple to manage a caravan park over your way by any chance?

One coil i havn't used is a large round coil, it's probably why i have missed out on any good stuff this year as i nearly always run the 17x11

Regards Ron

PS:(couldn't resist!!)Sorry Dig24 for highjacking

PPS:Happy New Year to everyone!!!!

PPPS:New years resolution... to find a kilo of gold this year!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi Ron, you may be right but I don't own any eliptical coils so can't compare them unfortunately. When I want deeper I just throw on the 18" round and if I want deeper again I just pinch Linc's 20" or 25" lol
The 14" NFA round has served me well and I have faith in it, so I stick with it. This comming year I will be trialing a variety of other coils, aswell as elliptical.

Not sure about the van park I'm sorry.

happy New year to you too mate!

cheers,

steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:12 am

Narrawa wrote:I heard if you hold your mouth to the left while walking with a lean, you'll find more gold.
Yesterday in the hot WA sun i tried it..........its a myth!!

You actually have to hold your mouth to the right.
Very Happy

Just in......those new coil cable clip thingies cause your detectors luminous radiation (Aura)...to output a more balanced field into highly magnetic ground, which intern keeps the electrons flowing in an orderly manner from your battery to your control box.
And we all know if electrons flow in a disorderly manner...all hell breaks loose and internal noise in generated....much like a fire drill in a multicultural factory.

Just in right now!! if detecting in the WA heat, wipe 30+ sunblock on your coil and cover it with glad rap.
Why??....sunblock blocks the sun....self explanatory, glad rap keeps it fresh...self explanatory...but it also keeps the dirt from sticking to your coil...bet ya didn't know that!! Very Happy

Very Happy see , thats why i like this forum so much , it is a font of information. i didn`t know ANY of that.
i`m going out today to buy some cable clips , 30+ sunblock and glad wrap
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:42 am

[quote]There are coils from the past that have gained legendary status.The Minelab 18 round kevlar Mono and the Coiltek flatlead 14 and 18 dd come to mind.

Dig 24 is spot on with what he says about the above. The old flat lead Coiltek 14" and 18" DD coil used a different wire in its windings to later models and has been regarded by many as the ultimate coil. I can't say too much here other than I do know it is an exceptional coil.

The 18" Minelab Kevlar mono was also an exceptional coil. When I field tested it for Minelab many years ago I was astounded at how light it was and how it slid like a greasy pie over grass etc. It also had exceptional depth and would also be a great coil on modern detectors.

No matter what claims you will see from the big coil manufactures if a mono coil is wound correctly and cased right it will be a good coil and only if the coil isn't wound right will it be a poor coil. The wire make doesn't matter as I still maintain Litz wire is no better than the wire used by Coiltek for many years as well as used by many coil manufactures in the States.

On the other hand a DD coil can be made to do different things. Coilteks DD Pro was wound in such a manner it gave a larger and much more stable EMF thereby achieving great depth, sensitivity and stability. In its day it was unbeatable and even today will probably do a great job.

Having said all the above I have not tried any of those coils on My 5000 being content with the ultra light weight of our 14" Coiltek eliptical mono's

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:00 am

[quote="granite2"]

The 18" Minelab Kevlar mono was also an exceptional coil. When I field tested it for Minelab many years ago I was astounded at how light it was and how it slid like a greasy pie over grass etc. It also had exceptional depth and would also be a great coil on modern detectors.
thanks mate
i`ve got one of those coils. i`m going to put it on the 5000 and have a play with it
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 am

Gus wrote:Hey Nero,
Should I sticky tape the 20c coin under or over the 5c coin and what type of tape should I use?
Do you know where the coin`in booster is available?
Razz

Duz ya stikem edge on or flatton n wot axial alignment to va coils inductive centre of Q n Mho duz ya setem clown What a Face Shood I uze a plastik micro skrue ta adjust va angle ov va dangle

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:59 am

There is one experienced prospector here using this coil and doing well,I have no doubt its a good match for the 5000 particularly if they've been using the NFA's as well.
Theres also 2 other reasons I can think of such as price and stability.Some of the more recent coils in the spoked design can false on sticks and leaves.With price of coils just climbing one of these 14" would only set you back $100 or so.From what I,ve seen they find small gold just as good on the 5000.
I had both the 14"DD and mono with the 3000 and the only regret was selling them.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  sandy2010 Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:08 pm

I will be offering my 14" Coiltek mono coil (terracotta) on Ebay with a "buy it now" price of $650.00 (preferential treatment will be given to forum members).......today only !

You only need to find 12 grms to cover cost......anything else is profit.

LOL.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Sandy
What would have been the buy now price if I"d kept quiet.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  sandy2010 Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi dig,
Two cartons of Coopers Pale Ale..........I have expensive tastes !

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

The word on coils Empty Re: The Word on coils

Post  YibiDavid Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:46 pm

I have both the 14" DD & mono which I was seriously thinking of selling due to their weight & age, but thanks to Dig 24crt I will now keep them & give them a burl when I go to W.A this winter. I only have a GP3500 ( which no body even mentions any more??). Old detector, old coils combined with "Old prospector" look out you " Sand Gropers" I'm heading your way!! Dave Laughing
YibiDavid
YibiDavid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Even if the older design of a coil turns out to have a serious benefit, I don't think I'd be tempted to go paying money for an old coil, especially one that has been well used. Old coils that have done a lot of hours can be coils eventually get a little less sensitive. I think the useful lifetime of a coil that (has been used on a daily basis) is around 4 years.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Marco
The missus is sitting here laughing.Has been using the same coil for ten years.
Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Good on you, Kath. Smile And I bet you are still way out in front of Dig. Razz

We hope you Both have a great new year.

Cheers, Jim & Cheryl
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Jim and Cheryl
Hope you have a great 2012
Yeah still the same story Jim 20 metres or 20 mins whichever comes first.
Cheers Noel

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next