Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PROSPECTING ATTIRE: WHAT A PROSPECTOR WEARS

+16
piston broke
Kon61gold
The Modern Day Prospector
Scrubhen
Razgo
goldslugger
All-AU
gcause
horseshoe
Nightjar
Cal
artrix
newhobby
Flakmagnet
mariner3800
nero_design
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PROSPECTING ATTIRE:  WHAT A PROSPECTOR WEARS - Page 2 Empty Re: PROSPECTING ATTIRE: WHAT A PROSPECTOR WEARS

Post  mariner3800 Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks Guys,

Beat me to the button

Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

PROSPECTING ATTIRE:  WHAT A PROSPECTOR WEARS - Page 2 Empty Re: PROSPECTING ATTIRE: WHAT A PROSPECTOR WEARS

Post  Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:30 pm

is this you nero or the other half?

cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Nice video Nero with a good piece of gold at the end, and what brand of pick is that looks like something I wouldn't mind buying. I wear those gaiters also but not in Camo, made in USA a bit stiff to start off with but breakin pretty quick and comfortable out bush, bought them from Coiltek good investment against snakes.

Cheers Brian.

PROSPECTING ATTIRE:  WHAT A PROSPECTOR WEARS - Page 2 Uvs11112

Last edited by The Modern Day Prospector on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More type.)
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:32 am

Hi Brian... those look to be the same as mine but with the snazzy olive fabric. They felt pretty comfortable the first time I wore mine and I was expecting them to be irritating or uncomfortable when I first got mine. Makes me feel a little more protected against the snakes though. The Pick I bought a few years back and I can't seem to find more of them. I've been told they don't make them any more but perhaps someone else might have seen a source?

Hi Stoppsy, my wife is there but I'm trying to dig one handed with a heavy pick and hold a camera with the other hand... so it's a less than ideal situation in that video. That's the so-called 'unused pick' by the way. You'll notice I was just wearing boots and jeans in the vid. Too many blisters that day from the rubber boots.

Unfortunately, since you posted that link here, I have just received the following messages between 10:27pm and 10:32pm this evening describing me as a fat, gay, animal rapist (apparently a molester of both goat & dog):

LINK TO screen capture of ONLINE MESSAGES
Note that offensive language may be found in the image linked.

I was so appalled at the bad spelling and poor grammar that I showed my wife. She too was appalled at the bad spelling.
Fortunately, I have blocked unwanted comments due to past bad behavior and have a system in place for Comment Approval.... so he signed up a fake YouTube account and went through the lengthy process of setting up his fake identity for nothing.

The sender is a member of this forum. I suppose he forgot that it's an offense under Australian law to send lewd, threatening or offensive material to another person courtesy of the telecommunications act. ( U mad, bro? Your tears are delicious!)

But this poor behavior relates in a way to the thread I started. We see people gravitate towards trends , clothing, techniques, equipment and methods that other prospectors are using. There's a good reason for this: it's because people really want to maximize their chances of success during the laborious and energy consuming pursuit of gold. If they think a particular product or method will give them an advantage over the earlier technique, they'll adopt it themselves. The internet is another tool for finding gold, just as a pick or a metallogenic map is.

I write on the online prospecting forums because I have a genuine interest in the subject. No other reason. And yet the biggest complaint that i receive privately from people who have perused my comments online is that I might be making it easy for others by sharing information. They really don't like me passing on casual material on goldfields, even if you could pull that same material from a book in a public library. I certainly NEVER impart information told to me in confidence and I do not reveal other people's favorite spots. I even have a few of my own favorite areas that i wouldn't care to see dug up in my absence. I only know what I have learned so far. Gold Prospecting is not like a new science that reveals new secrets every few months that nobody knew before. I've met many people who know a lot more about specific subjects in prospecting than I do. What I've learned is generally what most of the forum members here have already discovered for themselves or researched themselves. Some have been detecting or prospecting for decades longer than I have and they've also found more gold with a head-start spanning a time when there was more easy gold to be found than there seems to be today. Every person out there involved in prospecting, no matter how skilled or practiced, started with little or nothing. No equipment and no idea of what they should be doing. Myself included and you too. Either they learned what they know from a friends and family who might have been prospectors or they absorbed information after reading books, talking to others, joining clubs, watching videos, watching television, sifting through gold magazines, map reading, actual exploration and personal experiences etc.

I got into Gold as a means to fund my interest in another of my pursuits and accidentally found myself entirely captivated by the subject. If you look back over those pictures I posted at the beginning of this thread, you may find yourself wondering how all those early prospectors started out and whether they learned what they did before or after they arrived at the gold diggings for the first time. The Australian history books are full of references describing the naivety of those arriving at the goldfields and how many were forced to return home empty handed and starved after scratching in the clay for weeks without knowing what to do.

Perhaps the prospectors who got to the spot first and had a few clues on what to do were not as forthcoming with information?
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:29 am

Gday

What you wear in the bush is your business, as long as you are comfortable and carry what you think you might need thats all that matters, most of the clothes I wear in the bush are well used bush clothes the reason for this is simple, red dirt stains everything no matter how careful you are.

When I am digging for a nugget the last thing I consider is my clothing and whether the ground is wet or dry you always get some of it on you, so I dont buy top of the range clothing but always wear good quality boots, anything else I carry is for a reason, like a fire lighter, small clasp knife, water container, whistle, all small compact items that are there if I need them.

Having looked back at pics of myself and friends on various bush trips, we are all wearing what we loosely call "bush fashion" standing about the fire wearing everything we own due to the cold, we look more like the line up for a soup kitchen Laughing

Anyway as long as it suits you and serves the purpose thats all that matters.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:04 am

Shicer and Giveitup have both been banned from the forum

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:14 am

well played Jeff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Stoppsy, my wife is there but I'm trying to dig one handed with a heavy pick and hold a camera with the other hand... so it's a less than ideal situation in that video. That's the so-called 'unused pick' by the way. You'll notice I was just wearing boots and jeans in the vid. Too many blisters that day from the rubber boots.

Unfortunately, since you posted that link here, I have just received the following messages between 10:27pm and 10:32pm this evening describing me as a fat, gay, animal rapist (apparently a molester of both goat & dog):
[/quote]sorry nero i didn't think
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 am

It's a shame some people go down this path with abuse and threats to other blokes who like to make vids of there days out in the bush or post up helpful information for other prospectors. Some members here scream freedom of speech, but does freedom of speech mean you can abuse, threaten, or use links posted up on a forum to somebodies Ytube page to send threats and abuse I for one don't think so. This forum is by far the best online for all things prospecting with a good member base, and unfortunately every now and then you will get a couple of sour blokes who will join up with every intention to stir trouble, but thats life. The good thing about this forum is the admins acted quickly and removed the problem and now the forum continues on with posters having the freedom to post up good helpful information, that at the end of the day will help all of us out in the bush find gold.

Cheers.

Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 am

I think it was Stoppsy that said The heart of this forum is Golden. Its good to see that when crap goes down, there is support from others. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:36 am

Another great post, Nero. Keep up the good work you should be writing for the G&T. The story on prospecting attire alone would make a great story for them.

On the subject of camo clothes, that is a personal choice but after thinking about some of the kind of people I know who wear camo gear I wouldn't be seen dead in it. No

As for painting your detecting gear camo: one bloke I know has lost 2 picks he painted camo before he woke up to the fact that even he couldn't see them and repainted them fluro red. Another bloke took two hours to find his detector with a camo detector box cover and camo painted coil. It frightened him so much he now has a box cover coloured fluro pink:P

As for painting your car camo? I have seen a couple painted camo and I think if you painted your car camo you are a bloody fool and you'd have to become very good at defensive driving. Shocked

And I don't know how you'd go after a prang when the insurance assesser looked the car over. (Assuming he could find it) Suspect

Cheers, and a merry Christmas to you all. Jim. santa santa santa
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 am

This must have been a Sunday, as I have my best going out gear on, I'm am a bit cleaner than usual plus my hair is done.

PROSPECTING ATTIRE:  WHAT A PROSPECTOR WEARS - Page 2 DSC01826

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:33 am

Madtuna,

I would just love to have a look over there as that is also my normal type of attire, unless there is lots of prickle bushes.

But going by most of the pictures that I have seen of WA gold areas one would not require much more other than gaiters and for me Knee pads.

Merry Christmas everyone and especially the moderators
Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:36 am

Thats how I remember you looking....... neat as a pin and fashionably up to date.
A bit too much gel in the hair for my tastes tho

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:39 am

Gees Tuna, we don't need scruffy, dirty people on this forum. This is an area for the sartorial, elegant prospector thank you. Please remove your disgusting photo.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:32 pm

who gives a flyin fig what a "prospector" wears Suspect if they want to wear pink lycra,that is up to them ... I usually wear what i want Cool
now about hats ... so what if someone wants to wear a "cowboy'hat ... it more sun safe than an American baseball cap and if they are happy to wear it and cop remarks ... so be it!
anyone who picks on someone else for what they wear in my view is an absolute TOSSER What a Face so we now have to conform to the fashion police ... get ya hand of it and leave everyone alone ... if ya dont like the forum .... please leave cheers
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:15 pm

A bloke wearing a pink tu tu! You could well attract the wrong type of guests affraid
My prospecting attire consists of, jeans, boots, short sleeve shirt and my wallet, all time's of the year! Start digging, not cold no more!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm

nerd_design wrote:
byronbinalong wrote:who gives a flyin fig what a "prospector" wears Suspect if they want to wear pink lycra,that is up to them ... I usually wear what i want Cool
now about hats ... so what if someone wants to wear a "cowboy'hat ... it more sun safe than an American baseball cap and if they are happy to wear it and cop remarks ... so be it!
anyone who picks on someone else for what they wear in my view is an absolute TOSSER What a Face so we now have to conform to the fashion police ... get ya hand of it and leave everyone alone ... if ya dont like the forum .... please leave cheers

I totally agree with you byronbinalong .if a man chooses to wear a pink tu tu while out detecting thats 100% cool with me .

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Ahhh,I just Pissed myself laughing at that Avitar.
Funniest thing I have seen in a long while.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah thats it.....its the hat Razz
There is all types of gold on this forum Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:00 pm

G'day fellow prospectors.

I believe this thread has gone on long enough and now leading nowhere. Nerd_Design is no longer with the forum

Cheers Kon61.

In order to make this a meaningful discussion, quite a few posts had to be deleted as they were insulting or had nothing to do with the topic.

Thanks Nero for an interesting outlook on Clothing and Camouflage

Jeff
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2