Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prospector Dan

3 posters

Go down

Prospector Dan Empty Prospector Dan

Post  DaddyD Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:50 pm

I started out as a treasure hunter in the early 60s on benches in Canada before I started prospecting great way for a kid to have fun and start a collection

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2020-09-16

adrian ss and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Prospector Dan Empty Re: Prospector Dan

Post  adrian ss Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:25 pm

There is no doubt that treasure & coin /Relic hunting can take you to some historic sites and the finds can be rewarding if you know how to research properly.
Knowing the old passenger, mail and bullion stage coach routes and where hold ups occurred and where the bush rangers and outlaws hid out has lead to some significant finds.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4365
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:23 pm

Doing research is a good tool but once you gain knowledge you can go to any site and know where and where not to look

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:26 am

Is that not the entire purpose of doing research...To gain knowledge and know where to look and not to look, to know what equipment and safety gear you will need depending on what your research tells you and what you want to do. and achieve.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:39 am

Ha Ha Ha your missing the point

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 pm

Please enlighten us to what your point is, it seems to me that Adrian was spot on Very Happy
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:30 pm

DaddyD wrote:I started out as a treasure hunter in the  early 60s on benches in Canada before I started prospecting great way for a kid to have fun and start a collection

Coin and jewellery hunting is how most of us started out metal detecting and kids can get interested  because they will find something every time they detect the play grounds, beaches etc. But if you start out gold detecting then you might get turned off a bit because gold is not easy to find.
    I started gold detecting first in 1960 and as I grew old and decrepit I moved into coin, jewellery and relic hunting plus a bit of Ghost towning.
Now I do the beaches  because it is easy on my body and I like being at the beach.
If you want to be a treasure hunter, searching for sunken ships and lost bullion and artafacts from thousands of years ago then research is mandatory.
If you want to detect for gold then it is not much point searching where the gold was obtained from deep in the ground. You have to research where the gold was found within a few feet of the surface and that requires research; Sure you can find a bit here and there in the mullock heaps that has come from deep in the ground but it might not keep you interested for very long.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Prospector Dan Empty Prospector Dan

Post  DaddyD Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Ha Ha Ha OMG

DaddyD