Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stone or Tully ?

5 posters

Go down

Stone or Tully ? Empty Stone or Tully ?

Post  dno Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Have not been a member here long and was after some help with maps. I have several maps all from the same camp and see the tully maps mentioned here a fair bit, so was wondering which are the best and why ?

dno
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Stone or Tully ? Empty Re: Stone or Tully ?

Post  staples61 Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi DNO,
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of info here.
The Tully maps have more detail and are in a smaller scale.

Staples

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 pm

John Tully maps because I could never fold back the Stone maps Laughing
Seriously the Tully maps seem to be more accurate when it comes to tracks, diggings, reefs etc.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I use both, paper and digital of each.

It is interesting to see how accurate they are when using them on the GPS to navigate around the bush.
I use these maps now days as a guide only as there are better sources for research, but they do put you in the right area's.
Remember they got thier info from old records too.

No map is going to be 100% accurate in all aspects, my advice is to use them to get you to the area you want to be at, and then read what the ground is telling you once you are there.
Use sites like geovic or the equivillant, all info is going to vary slightly.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Definately the tully maps. I have both sets stone, and tully. Stones maps dont have some tracks marked on them and some of them arnt where he says they are . Tullys are a lot more accurate and detailed. However tullys maps as of yet still dont cover a lot of areas, where as stones maps do. In a way both sets will put you on to gold bearing areas and I also use a navman to be sure of where I am. Cheers Steve.

Back to top Go down

Post  dno Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Sounds like the next round of paper will be tully, my local map shop is a an hours drive and only carries Stone's map's so I've not had a chance to compare the two, but will order some from Maryborough through the mail.
I use the Geo Vic site and Google earth as well both great tools. Funny thing is you can never have to many maps.

Thanks for the great info and your help guys look forward to meeting a few out and about.
Cheers dno.

dno
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:59 pm

dno, my favortie book has always been and always will be a map, it always can show you something different!! Wink

Be sure to check out these guys if ordering maps, (I even think they used to be a member here) I have dealt with these people many times and they are extremely good to deal with, never had a problem..... => http://www.gondwanaonline.com.au/category32_1.htm
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:28 pm

dno wrote:which are the best and why ?

Tully.much more detail

Back to top Go down

Post  dno Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Good link Goldstalker and a couple $$ cheaper then fleebay too. Nothing better an spending a bit of time eyeballing the paper.
Thanks again guys.

dno
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 pm

If you spend a little time on the geovic site and select the layers relating to mines, public forests, tracks and leads etc you can make your own "tully" type maps for any area you want. With a little looking you can find obscure blocks of public land hidden in amongst private land that possibly has not been detected as hard as many other spots.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  dno Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:36 am

Tributer wrote:If you spend a little time on the geovic site and select the layers relating to mines, public forests, tracks and leads etc you can make your own "tully" type maps for any area you want. With a little looking you can find obscure blocks of public land hidden in amongst private land that possibly has not been detected as hard as many other spots.

Tributer
Great advice, Thanks.

dno
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down