Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you best read into a john tully map for best area?

2 posters

Go down

How do you best read into a john tully map for best area? Empty How do you best read into a john tully map for best area?

Post  vic_nugget Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm

also whats alluvial wash? I guess its the old timers gold sifted/dredged crushed rock left behind?

and are the John Tully maps mud maps what best information's can we get here how do we read it to find a gps location private message me if you would prefer. thanks. Metal detection not panning.

Last edited by vic_nugget on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

vic_nugget
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

How do you best read into a john tully map for best area? Empty Re: How do you best read into a john tully map for best area?

Post  Cams 4500 Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:54 pm

If you read the front pages it will explain the GPS stuff somewhat, I learnt some of it today from another book as well for a better understanding.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

How do you best read into a john tully map for best area? Empty gps

Post  vic_nugget Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 pm

cam I see one location gps one for a massive area still a bit sketchy hope all the roads are there Very Happy
as marked. love dead cat hill who named that a pirate, maybe long john silver himself Very Happy

vic_nugget
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

How do you best read into a john tully map for best area? Empty Re: How do you best read into a john tully map for best area?

Post  Cams 4500 Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Each of the grid squares are broken up, although they are not shown, metres from the left line of grid square and from the top line. (I'm only just starting to learn this stuff myself)  Google lat and long you will find it explained better than I can do.

I have the JT maps as well, they are easy to use and convenient.  The track mapping I have found so far pretty good, generally they exist, but they may not be very good, found one like that a few days ago.  You will probably get lost by taking a wrong turn.

Last edited by Cams 4500 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Cams 4500 wrote:Each of the grid squares are broken up, although they are not shown, metres from the left line of grid square and from the top line. (I'm only just starting to learn this stuff myself) Google lat and long you will find it explained better than I can do.

I have the JT maps as well, got them before I found it all online for free, but the are easy to use and convenient, so I don't mind. The track mapping I have found so far pretty good, generally they exist, but they may not be very good, found one like that a few days ago. You will probably get lost by taking a wrong turn.

Google UTM for the coordinate system used in John Tully maps, each square on the map is 1000metres x 1000metres or 1km x 1km

Use the explanation in the front of his books to explain how to get a starting point for the different map pages.

For example the center of Dunolly would be UTM 54H 743390E 5917210N

cheers dave

Back to top Go down