Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trespassers should be........

+22
paulf
Alan WA
Kon61gold
The Modern Day Prospector
toadskin
Rtanweb
Flakmagnet
coilman
matelot
Scotty
granite2
gef50
byronbinalong
rarebreed
GoldstalkerGPX
nero_design
ichi-ban
glenno
Geronimo Reilly
maka
spinna
richter-scale
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Trespassers should be........ - Page 4 Empty Re: Trespassers should be........

Post  Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:12 pm

A recreational prospector to me is a person who occasionally goes out prospecting either detecting or otherwise at random times for relaxation and pleasure outside of his normal activities. he is a person likely to buy a metal detector spontainiously and may never have used one previously, he might not have ever even seen a bit of gold but may be on a trip from somwhere to anywhere and finds himself in an old goldfield one day and suddenly decides to give gold detecting a try just for fun, maybe just for a day or two.
Then later discovers that he cannot even move a rock legally without becoming a criminal unless he has a permit or license or has carried out a bazillion hours of research and litterally begged somebody to let him turn his detector on and wave it over a bit of dirt that turns out to be microsmidgen size patch on a gigantic lease that hasn't seen a human being in 20 years.........Until he steps out of his car and turns his tector on and BANG! GUZUMP! out of absolutly nowhere , the lease holder appears like an apparition out of the dust. affraid pale

I am dramatising this a bit so as not to sound too serious Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:37 pm

granite2 wrote:Ichi-ban you continue to cover the same ground so often its a wonder you don't get giddy. And if you think its so tough to make a living then do something else. If the laws there are so wrong then you lot arn't doing enough to change them.

Oh trust me Jim, it ain't tough being out there 8 months a year, using the best metal detectors known to man - a bulldozer and a GP4500/5000. It's a bloody dream come true after 30 years of walking miles for scraps. Digging out about an ounce a day on an average patch - priceless - and for everything else, "There's Mastercard!!". Jim, I get a hard on just thinking about it.

The PMAV have made so many representations to the Vic government it is amazing. They have also had many laws changed and amended to allow prospecting where it had either been previously banned or was in dire danger of it being banned.

Well done to the PMAV - I congratulate their efforts 100%. Are you a member Jim? No!! - I thought so,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rita Bentley and her husband deserves a medal for all the work they have done. As a result Victoria is the best place to go prospecting legally in Australia.

What does it say on the plethora of Victorian rego plates that we see over here every winter,"Victoria, the place to be"??. So WTF don't you stay there if legal prospecting is so schmit hot

You don't even have to get permission to go on an EL.

Really? Well you bloody well do here in WA. So get used to it sunbeam 'cos it ain't gonna change in your lifetime.

The only problem is, its a small state with a helluva lot of prospetors and the gold is getting very thin on the ground compared to the huge state of WA.

So welcome to WA Jim. Fill yer boots. But respect our laws and our ways.

Like a government, you get what you deserve and if you don't change the laws, or the government then you deserve what you get.

Tell Queenslanders, NSW and NTs that. We're all OK over here in The Wild West. It's our gold so we make the rules. Remember the "Golden Rule" Jim - "He that has the gold makes the rules"

You have never taken any notice of what I have said except to roar back into the attack as to why I am doing the wrong thing and you are doing the right thing.

Put simply Jim. I respect the law and you don't. I do the right thing and you don't. I can't change the law on my own so I make the best of the law I have. You don't, you just break it. WTF should I take any notice of someone that's takes no notice of us and shows no respect for us here in WA.

Recreational prospectors don't dig deep holes with a dozer or scrape huge areas of dirt but you blokes with your toy dozers and high and mighty ideas about how you have the right to do this are the blokes who are doing the wrong thing.

Not according the mining and environmental laws here in WA, we don't Jim. We get the leases, the permits, the clearances and after 9 months of waiting for all that to be done - we dig it up. You people that simply sashay in to WA, wander as you see fit, don't give tinker's damn about us and remove gold from other people's leases do the wrong thing.

And don't say you blokes don't I have seen it myself many times where a leaseholder gets wind of a patch nearby and sneeks his tractor out and rapes the patch before slinking back to his lease. When - and if- someone comes asking about the illegal scraping everyone looks innocent and says "Ooooh how awful, but it wasn't me".

Find out who did it, Jim, take photos, take the evidence to the police. I can't fix that problem only you and the WA Police can do that.

Illegal scrapings and dozing isn't done by recreational prospectors its done most often by LEGAL leaseholders who have the audacity to blame it mostly on Eastern staters.

Two wrongs don't make a right Jim. I don't push illegally and not many do these days, The fines are too big and there's too many "eyes" out there. But if you want to try it - be my guest. It can't be that hard Jim, 'cos you reckon nearly everyone's doing it. Should be easy for you. You seem to very adept at doing illegal stuff. Spend $120,000.00 on an excavator, Jim, and by crikey "Give it heaps". I'll even bring the beer and watch your face when you see some "blow in" from the caravan park has taken half your gold and now you can't repay the bank for the loan on your new excavator!!

I think just about all that can be discussed in a sensible manner has been discussed and I see nothing to gain by continuing. You can go on doing the RIGHT thing while I go on doing what I do.

"doing what you do"?? You mean illegal detecting?

As for your accusation of me stealing gold - I have never knowingly stole gold anywhere in any state in Australia, and I have prospected in them all.

Jim!! You've admited on here, also in other forums and in Leonora Caravan Park that you subscribe to the theory that if a leaseholder is not on his lease then it's open season for detecting by anybody. You've been heard saying it in public places. You've even inferred on here that you don't believe in all this "Get Permission" nonsense. Jim, you are fully cognisant of the fact that just about 99% of WA is under lease for mining tenements. So if you didn't get permission to prospect, and it sounds as if you don't bother with THAT miner (sic) detail, then you took the gold knowing you were doing so illegally. So essentially Jim, you've stolen gold in at least Western Australia and I suspect, every other Australian State as well.

I congratulate you Jim, on making me even more hostile to recreational prospectors than ever I was before. I'm sure my mates that are watching this thread closely will be feeling the same way. I know one of 'em is because we were talking about you just yesterday.

And next time you write a story in GGT about finding a 40 ounce patch at the Specking Patch with pictures of "Tit Hill", along with pictures of where you were camped and your washing line strung between trees, make sure it's true. Because you've just denied it was true on this very thread. Otherwise, we'll have to assume that everything that's printed in GGT is just bullshit and the publishers wouldn't be happy with that would they!!.

Have a great time on next years trip to Victoria,

Cheers, Jim

Last edited by ichi-ban on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : omissions and spelling)

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Adrian ss wrote:A recreational prospector to me is a person who occasionally goes out prospecting either detecting or otherwise at random times for relaxation and pleasure outside of his normal activities. he is a person likely to buy a metal detector spontainiously and may never have used one previously, he might not have ever even seen a bit of gold but may be on a trip from somwhere to anywhere and finds himself in an old goldfield one day and suddenly decides to give gold detecting a try just for fun, maybe just for a day or two.
Then later discovers that he cannot even move a rock legally without becoming a criminal unless he has a permit or license or has carried out a bazillion hours of research and litterally begged somebody to let him turn his detector on and wave it over a bit of dirt that turns out to be microsmidgen size patch on a gigantic lease that hasn't seen a human being in 20 years.........Until he steps out of his car and turns his tector on and BANG! GUZUMP! out of absolutly nowhere , the lease holder appears like an apparition out of the dust. affraid pale

I am dramatising this a bit so as not to sound too serious Very Happy

Adrian, as Jim has often said to me, "If you don't like it - do something else".

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Mate I have been prospecting, Fosicking, Mining, Metal Detecting for more years than you have had heart beats. I have forgotten more about gold prospecting in the last five minutes than what you have known in your entire life to date. So get off your high and mighty self righteous horse and stop trying to tell people they shouldn't be gold detecting just because they disagree with some of the regulations; Just because the regs stand as they are does not make every one of them right.
Jeeze Laweeze!

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Adrian ss wrote:Mate I have been prospecting, Fosicking, Mining, Metal Detecting for more years than you have had heart beats. I have forgotten more about gold prospecting in the last five minutes than what you have known in your entire life to date. So get off your high and mighty self righteous horse and stop trying to tell people they shouldn't be gold detecting just because they disagree with some of the regulations; Just because the regs stand as they are does not make every one of them right.
Jeeze Laweeze!

Adrian, you must be about 80 years old then. I'm 65 and I've been in it since I was 30.

I don't agree with a lot of the laws just as you and Jim don't. The difference is that stick I by the law because it's the only thing between order and chaos across the goldfeilds. Go gold detecting all ya like. Just stay off my ground, every other person's ground, mining company ground and you can have what's left. Use the laws we have set up for you. If you don't like that then suffer the consequences, which could be the police, a geologist getting nasty, a prosecution or a leaseholder giving you an earbashing or a caravan pushing you won't forget in a hurry. Understand? - "STAY OFF!!"

Adrian, if the laws aren't to your liking then try and get 'em changed or just "STAY OFF!!"

I no longer really give a rats about recreational prospectors any more after listening to thier attitudes on here an elsewhere. You and Jim Foster have done more in a week on this forum to wreck any sympathy or good relations that may have existed between leaseholders and recreational prospectors. You've proven beyond doubt that you can't be trusted because your motives are all wrong. I wouldn't give you an inch because you'll take a mile. The whole lot of you can go to buggery as AFAIC.

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:03 pm

HMMM I'd love to see that article in the G&T you carry on about Ichi-ban. Can you scan it and post it on here? If you don't have a scanner you can simply photograph it and post it as a photo. Forty ounces off the Specking Patch??? I wish!!! I doubt if I even found 40 fly specks. Rolling Eyes

As I'm happy to tell everyone, in 32 years of detecting I have missed out on the bigger nuggets and patches. My biggest patch was about 12oz on new ground at Pikes Hollow many years ago. My biggest nugget was 6oz at Agnew. Also many years ago. But I don't really feel I missed out as I have always been able to find plenty of little stuff. Often more than enough to pay for our trip. cheers

And the only leases I reckon are fair game are those that are owned by Real Estaters who tie the dirt up without no intention of working it. I have had no trouble getting on most places but when I'm refused permission I take no for an answer and look elswhere. Very Happy

And all those Accusations you have been throwing around makes me wonder: doth he protest too much? Razz

Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Well, while I think that Ichi-ban just likes to stir the pot, I don't see a problem for anyone who is keen to swing a coil in WA. The law allows anyone with a miners right to work pending ground and anyone who wan't to do the research can get a few section 20a's in what should be good areas. Who wants to have to keep looking over your shoulder for a month or two.

After all, If you want to work Illegally theres miles of good land to prospect in NSW, QLD and NT, so why would anyone bother going all the way over there? Rolling Eyes
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 pm

[b]TROLL ALERT!!

Oh ichi-ban,
I am also 65 and I have got 15 years on you. My Grand daddy started me young and taught me well. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Trespassers should be........ - Page 4 Empty Trespassers should be.....

Post  matelot Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:37 am

Well Adrian ss, according to your previous post, I must be a professional prospector. But according to your last post, then I am a rank amateur. So call me what you like (depending which way the wind is blowing at the time), I don't mind. You may continue with your ideas but I am in the middle of arranging my next trip over to W.A. It takes plenty of research and preparation.

Regards Roger. pirat

P.S. I've always wondered about the ...... ideas coming out of Canberra.
matelot
matelot
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:58 am

matelot,
I guess we will all interprate these post according to our culture, understanding and beliefs.
I wish I had the money to spend on a RECREATIONAL activity that a lot of you blokes seem to have access too.
At last check I had 91 dollars AU a house and a car (44 years old) after 65 years........OHHHHH Sob!.... Sob,Sob,Sob Nd BOOHOO. But what do I care.....I woke up this morning, Very Happy so all iz good wif va werld n I get ta tork ta yez blokes.........Even if yez ar a bit off yer rockers.....(That's Cradle, rocker Box or Dry Blower for yez Recreational prospectors) lol! lol! Been in va WA sun a bit too long maybe lol! lol!

PS,
I iz jus jokin Laughing Very Happy

PS again:
Make that 51 bucks 13Dec 2011: Should just scrape through to Pension day Very Happy

Last edited by Adrian ss on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:48 am

Itci-ban, I see you have posted again but not the G&T article that you claim to have where I wrote about finding a 40 ounce patch at the Specking Patch.

If you cannot post a copy of that article it means you are wrong about that. And if you are wrong about that then everything else you have said could also be construed as wrong.

I await your posting of a copy of that article with bated breath.

I also wonder if you are keeping copies of this thread, I am.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:20 am

Blooming heck I love this forum; Some of the threads go off the rails a bit now and again but that is what I thrive on and the vast variety of people who post here is fantastic;There is always something that can be learnt.
Cheers
cheers

Last edited by Adrian ss on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 am

Ha, always a laugh here. Actually this thread could be renamed after that movie, 'GRUMPY OLD MEN'.
Paul

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 am

paulf wrote:Ha, always a laugh here. Actually this thread could be renamed after that movie, 'GRUMPY OLD MEN'.
Paul

Duelling Walking sticks at 20 paces Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Cant see what the fuss is all about.

Itchys saying it is as it is.

Granite is right too about the real estaters. (not easternstaters ) Very Happy
They annoy the serious prospector too.

I know of one 'serious' prospector who goes up to companies
who aren't doing much with their ground and says 'give me a tribute
or I'll peg a SPL'. Gets ground to push.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Keep it cool fellas, the path is getting a bit narrow

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 am

HI granite2

I did read an artical in AGG&T a while back about 40 oz found in the Specking Patch but haven't been able to find my copy yet. No idea who wrote it scratch That's good going on that patch but would likely have taken a fair time to accumulate Question

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Adrian,
it wasn't me who wrote that story and unfortunately it wasn't me who found it Crying or Very sad As I said earlier my biggest patch was about 12 ounces at Pikes. Smile I think Ichi may have got me mixed up with another Jim. It is a common enough name as I personally know 5 other Jims Very Happy One of them is a freelance journalist and photographer in the states, same last name as well.

I love detecting in WA and WA has been very good to us in the amount of gold we have found over the years. But the gold value is one thing and the enjoyment of being out there in the peace and quiet with only the sounds of the birds and the wind in your ears (when you aren't detecting) makes it a very enjoyable place to be. You would only sit on a noisy dozer when you had to make a living and fortunately we never have had to make a living from the gold. Wink

Then there are all the wonderful folk you meet up with. I have met people out there detecting from all over the world as well as from all over Australia and haven't met one yet that was a pain in the A. But then nearly all of them are recreational prospectors who do it more for the love of being there than anything else.

Another thing we love is the history of the place. My favourite book on WA is Mates & Gold and the first time I stood in the Redcastle caves it was like I had stepped back in time. To actually stand where the Sligo brothers and Lucky Harry Swincer had camped all those years ago was a momentous feeling. Another WA goldfields character I know a lot about is Tom Cue. I have a story about Tom in an upcoming G&T magazine that contains probably more information about the man then any publication ever printed. You wouldn't believe how many of the same places Tom and myself have both been. And that includes Canada and Alaska. The article is called Coincidence? keep you eyes open for it.

I was once verbally attacked by a bloke who said he'd been making his living as a small gold miner all his life and swore black and blue you could never find 100 nuggets (total weight 15 grams) in 9 days as Cheryl and myself had at Tibooburra. It was about a story I wrote in the G&T and he took great exception to it so you never know what some people think. Suspect

I will only stop going to WA when I'm too old to do so but a mate of mine still goes and he is in his 80's so here's hoping I can last as long as he has.

Cheers, Jim cheers

granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:48 am

I have followed this thread with great interest mainly because I would love to visit WA, before I am too old, and yes I too have just passed 80

Before seeing the pictures of that lovely looking country that Jim included on his disk, I could not imagine anywhere being so pretty and worthy of a look and a little detect, right across it and up to Halls Creek, then home via the top end.

However after reading the tone of some replies to Granite’s posts I must admit to second thoughts.
Just goes to prove that there is a lot of selfishness mixed through the gold mining and detecting areas in Australia, However there is also a lot of people very willing to show others better ways to detect and or search for gold

Thanks all for what each of you have posted, it all goes to really make this particular forum very informative and one of the best.

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Trespassers should be........ - Page 4 Empty Trespassers should be.....

Post  matelot Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 am

G'day Scrubhen(Ron),
Don't be put off .Do it today. And don't forget East of Nullagine. The scenery will blow you away.

Regards Roger
matelot
matelot
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 pm

granite2.

Great post mate, you summed this game up very well.........You sound just like a young bloke I was talking to just the other day cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Ron, don't be put of by Ichi-Ban he is only one bloke with an unhelpful attitude. Most folk in WA are very good to get along with and are usually very helpful. Very Happy

We have detected in WA for ten winters now and not had any bother worth worrying about. Even the owner of the only lease that we strayed on was OK and had a very helpful chat with us. Join the APLA well before you head over and you can then access more ground around Kalgoorlie and Leonora, just for starters. Smile

A couple of years ago we did have one bloke try to move us along but as we knew we had permission to be there we took no notice of him. Razz

The scenery is fantastic from the bottom end to the top end of the state. But make sure you do your trip during the winter if you want to have a look around Marble Bar and Nullagine. By the middle of August its beginning to warm up in that country. Cool

I cannot recommend WA enough as a place to go detecting so Ron, go for it. Life is not a Dress Rehersal, you only get one go at it so make the most of it. cheers

Cheers, Jim

granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Trespassers should be........ - Page 4 Empty you got it tough?

Post  Greenwell2 Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Howdy guys and gals,
Have been reading this post and can see both points of view. Here in Tassie ( which I noticed according to Ichi-ban doesnt exist as he never mentions it and yes I am sensitive to Tassie being ignored Very Happy ). I decided to try to find out who leased what in anticipation of actually getting a detector, and found this site with a map showing leases and licenses. Just for the record the grey area in the map is World Heritage Area and cant be farted in let alone prospected. By the looks of it there are very few places where I can legally detect. So does that mean I give up the dream of going or take the risk, and yes when the time comes I will write and try to get on the leases legally. Lets hope I can get a few positive responses. Also while I am here if anyone knows what the different categories of licenses means can they let me know as I cant find out what they mean( online at least). Oh yeah the link

http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/Viewer/Exposure/E3?REQUEST=Entry&PRJ=Tenements&DELETE_DEFAULT=Y&SID=57479777&MODE=mrt
Cheers
Greenwell2 aka Roger but not the one previously in this thread Very Happy

Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum