Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie - Looking for a knowledgable detecting partner

Go down

Newbie - Looking for a knowledgable detecting partner Empty Newbie - Looking for a knowledgable detecting partner

Post  neo__04 Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Hey all,

Newbie here, Just wondering if anyone is heading out this saturday and wouldnt mind sharing some knowledge with someone learning the craft. Im located in Warrnambool and will probably head either ballarat or maryborough direction, but anywhere inbetween is still fine. I have a GP extreme and many bullets and tin cans to my name.. But no gold.

Hoping someone out there would like some company and could maybe share a tip or two in my quest for the first bit of gold.

Feel free to PM me if interested.

Regards

Jeremy

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Newbie - Looking for a knowledgable detecting partner Empty Re: Newbie - Looking for a knowledgable detecting partner

Post  Guest Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Jeremy I'm heading of to Rushworth this Saturday, but I wouldn't mind you tagging along some other time for a lesson or two. But remember it takes months or even years to learn this hobby properly, not ounce or twice and then you will be finding gold. I know chaps that have been doing this for years and now are just finding gold. I live in Maryborough so I can show you what to look for, but then it will be up to you to put it into practice. We are all still learning, the full timers and the hobbiest. But the one thing that I can't stress more "is join a detector club" and go out with them mate, that is were you will learn the art of finding gold. The other thing at I would like to see as you and others that are living in Vic is to join the PMAV as this organisation are the ones that are keeping the Vic gold fields open for you and I to enjoy Smile
cheers mate
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Newbie - Looking for a knowledgable detecting partner Empty Re: Newbie - Looking for a knowledgable detecting partner

Post  neo__04 Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Wombat,

Also thanks for the offer, will definately be taking you up on that.

Well aware I have a long stint of months/years ahead of me before finding any gold/getting good at detecting,
but I just think it would be great to be out with someone willing to help out and offer some advice and even if they say that im doin everything fine, then ill be happy, just means then for example that my detector settings etc might be fine, but i need to learn the read the ground etc etc..

When your starting out, any little bit of advice or guidance out in the field is as valuable as the gold that I may hopefully find!

Anyone else, looking for some company for saturday, Let me know Smile

Thanks again all

Regards

Jeremy

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 pm

best off luck neo__04 you'll have a great time with wombat i hope use do well...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:36 am

Jeremy

If ya was in the west id be keen to show ya the ropes no probs man.

You seem to be doin it right and its gonna be no time at all before ya hear that sweet smooth sound of
ya 1st/2nd & 30th nugget...... just dig every target regardless of what anybody tells ya ok... Very Happy

P.S Mono COILS only!

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  neo__04 Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Just bumping the thread.

Still heading out in the morning. Still going alone.. lol

If anyone gets this before midnight and wants some company. Be glad to tag along.

Thanks again.

If no one wants a tag along. More than happy for you to PM me and give me a tip on where to go. Heading pretty much anywhere in the central vic goldfields.
Suggest me a place?

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Neo_04<
i am also going to Rushworth tomorrow for a meeting.
Next weekend we will be in Laanecoorie for 4 days detecting-Melbourne cup weekend.If you can come would be great to catch up with some other members and plenty to see and learn.If you can come Pm.
There are few forum members your way so i am sure its matter of time to get out with someone.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  neo__04 Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Well ended up having a big day out, not a successful gold day, but a fun day.

Started out heading to enfield for a look, was a bit wet at that time of the morning (7am), looked pretty steep and i dont know the area so i drove through and headed to creswick for a look. Just picked up some rubbish, detected for a few hours here, then headed off to bendigo for a look. Did a bit of 4wd & detecting here, just junk again, then headed off to maryborough for an hour or two. I like the look of maryborough, so I may concentrate my future learning efforts there I think.

No gold (i think i need a tutor), But was a good day out. Had the day off so enjoyed the travelling around as much as the prospecting.

Still on the hunt for the first bit of yellow Smile, next time.....

Jez

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Glad you enjoyed your day out, and good also to see you put in the effort on your own, and I'm sure it won't be long before you find someone willing to detect with and give you some pointers on the finer things about detecting.

Another good idea is to go out on the one day tours and get first hand training, they cost a few $ but its money well spent as it cuts the learning curve. There are a couple of different ones that operate around Maryborough area.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  neo__04 Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:31 pm

yeah I think i'll have to do that. Definately money well spent.

Just have to make sure I get up there as often as I can to get some practice in

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down