Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

17"mono nuggetfinder

4 posters

Go down

17"mono nuggetfinder Empty 17"mono nuggetfinder

Post  Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:29 pm

say if i ran a 12'' mono nuggetfinder on a 5000, working perfect, and changed to a 17" mono nuggetfinder what settings would need changing?? with the 12'' i run
search mode: General
soil/timings: Normal
coil/rx: mono
Ground balance: Fixed

Main Menu
backlight: off
Battery Test
vol limit: 12
GB Type: GEN
Special: Fine
Man Tune : 180
GENERAL
Motion: Med
Rx Gain: 8
Audio: NRM
Audio Tone: 25
Stabilizer: 10
Signal: 18
Target Vol: 8
Response: Nrm
Tracking: MED
Iron reject: off

any help would be much appreicated.. cheers

Back to top Go down

17"mono nuggetfinder Empty Re: 17"mono nuggetfinder

Post  AUgirl Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:10 am

I find it noisy...not sure if I have correct settings either. Will be watching your topic and waiting for the answers!!
AUgirl
AUgirl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 am

here is a link to some good settings to start with. i run in deep and reduce the gain first and then the stability if needed. the 17 x 11 is a very good coil capable of suprising depth and small shalllow pieces.

http://www.goldcitydetecting.com.au/tipsandhints.aspx
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 am

thank heaps for that mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Hasfoundthagold wrote:say if i ran a 12'' mono nuggetfinder on a 5000, working perfect, and changed to a 17" mono nuggetfinder what settings would need changing?? with the 12'' i run
search mode: General
soil/timings: Normal
coil/rx: mono
Ground balance: Fixed

Main Menu
backlight: off
Battery Test
vol limit: 12
GB Type: GEN
Special: Fine
Man Tune : 180
GENERAL
Motion: Med
Rx Gain: 8
Audio: NRM
Audio Tone: 25
Stabilizer: 10
Signal: 18
Target Vol: 8
Response: Nrm
Tracking: MED
Iron reject: off

any help would be much appreicated.. cheers

If we run through the settings, the first comment I'd have is that you need to remember that to be detecting in "Fine Gold" the timing switch needs to be be in "Special" position.
The next is the tuning position. I find that a range between 90 and 110 can usually cover all the bases for me, and I can tweak the knob one or two numbers to make the threshold smooth. I almost never use the auto-tune function.
If you run the medium motion setting that would explain why you have your gain so low. Try using slow or very slow setting and you'll find you can lift the gain up to around the 12 mark and maybe higher. The motion setting controls how short and sharp a signal will be if we keep the same swing speed, and a faster motion will make a sharper response, but the slower motion setting filters are good to use to combat instability and make a smooth threshold.
Normal audio is fine but if you can, try running deep audio (as opposed to deep mode) as it can be selected in any of the mode options. The setting really lifts those fainter responses, but also can cause instability.
I realise that tone is a personal preference, but 25 is way to low for me. Most operators can use a tone between 60 and 65 easily. I choose 63 as my preference but 60 is fine too.
The stabiliser is fine at 10 but don't be afraid to lower it if necessary. I personally stay at 7 or above for reasons I've said before. There is a good article in the latest Minelab Times, by Nenad, who suggests that the gain and stabiliser settings be within 6 in number of each other, ie; if you run the gain at 18 then the stabiliser setting is recommended at least 12. Of course sometimes that is impossible as the threshold would be far too erratic, so his reasoning aims at lowering the gain so that the above is possible.
It needs to be understood that the gain control does not "boost" the transmit, but works on the receive circuit, so any gains are made in the detector electronics. I prefer a lower gain and realistic stabiliser setting rather than some of the radical settings I see in the menus of detectors I trade in.
The link Tricky put up is about what I set all the new detectors up at before they leave the shop, within a number or two, and they work well in this area. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AUgirl Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks for the info...will try it today (weather permitting)
AUgirl
AUgirl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 am

Qld Sandy,

You are the first MineLab Dealer I have seen that
sets up the customers Frond End Cap and Menu Settings for them as a starting point.
It may be that I just have not come across it before, but nonetheless,
it's a very cool idea.

cheers
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks Flak,
I think it's better to set them off with something that suits the area than to let them stumble throught it blindly by themselves. The factory presets are probably good but the detector is so versatile that it is possible to do better. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down