Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE?

+4
GoldstalkerGPX
goldquest
Nature_Pete
Goldylox
8 posters

Go down

TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE? Empty TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE?

Post  Goldylox Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 am

Wish to delete this old thread.

Last edited by Goldylox on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deletion)

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE? Empty Re: TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE?

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 am

Well, I guess it is as good a base as anywhere else in the triangle but if I were you I might hire a detector first and give it a try before lashing out and buying a GPX 5000 as a first detector?....Jeeez n bugga,48 years of detecting and I still cannot afford the best, Sad good luck to ya mate.
There is a property for sale on the Waanyarra Lead close by, maybe ya might have a look at that Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Goldylox,

The forum had a meet up there on the last long weekend, here is a short tally of what people found in the area over 3 days:

"As of Sunday night we had a total of 36 pieces of gold found by members plus the 6 pieces that ARARAT took home that day, this makes a total of 42. I was out with Graham ( who may I say snagged 19 gms on Sunday ) and saw him add another one to the list, so that is 43 and by the way that was well over 1oz from that little spot."

Here is a link to the thread:

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t5134-laanecoorie-weekend-wrap-up?highlight=Laanecoorie

I realise that the area is considered by many to be 'flogged', but the proof is in the pudding. I personally think that it is a beautiful area, people are friendly and there's plenty of space to detect. If that area takes your fancy, then I would say that you're on the right track.

Just my thoughts and all the best with the property hunting.

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks Adrian SS, I'll see if I can find it on realestate.com, but that area hasn't shown up thus far on searches so probably way out of my price range. Only thinking of a 5000 due to house sale, so would be my only chance to get a decent detector from brand new. It was either that or a good holiday to the snow - prosepcting wins hands down. Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks Nature Pete! That sounds hopeful to this almost rookie. Yes, the area has a certain vibe to me, I can almost feel the old timer's out there still slogging away. Heading back up there (from Clunes) soon & think I might just submit an offer & see what happens. Just a humble cabin, but somewhere to chill out & listen to yarns of gold round the campfire. My idea of heaven! Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:50 am

Goldylox wrote:I'm thinking of getting a cheapie cabin type dwelling around the Tarnagulla (Vic) area to base my scratchings from rather than keep driving out that way every free moment to indulge my liking for being out there in Australiana nature with the notion of actually finding something. Having recently sold my farmstead on Qld/NSW border, I figured the Tarnagulla area might be a good spot for this & I can afford to buy my first gold detector too - which will probably be the Minelab GPX 500. I realise that most of the workings around the Poverty Mine area has been detected to death, but wondered if anyone reckons it's still a viable area for a base camp? I have found a couple of potential joints (old Jimmy's place, which has a spare bunk room for anyone passing thru etc) that kinda fits what I'm looking for (the caravan park is now closed and not going to reopen from what I hear). Heading out there again today for another gander at properties. I'd welcome some feedback peeps. Smile

Hi Goldylox, If I understand you are moving from Queensland and want to buy a property in Tarnagulla, and the reason for this radical change is the hope of finding a few grams of gold, it seems a bit excessive do not you think? Why not rent for a few months and see if you like the place and especially if you enjoy metal detecting, do not believe everything you read, and before deciding anything explores various possibilities.

This is my opinion Any Way.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:03 am

Goldylox wrote: Just a humble cabin, but somewhere to chill out & listen to yarns of gold round the campfire. My idea of heaven! Smile

I'll certainly back you on that one! One day, Ange and I might do the same, I just prefer a warmer climate yet somehow we ended up in Ballarat (which is still a top area IMHO) Wink

Cheers,

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm

HI Goldylox.
You have a PM

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm

G'day Goldylox, Tarnagulla is a pretty central location and in my opinion would be fairly ideal. The biggest thing for me is the drive to get to the locations, ie Tarnagulla 3hrs, so to be based in and around some of the best locations there are you would be way in front.

Good luck with your adventures and I hope that you find something that suits, even as a rookie why not buy the best detector that is available. You will have people telling you that you should start with something not so complicated, I started out with the best at the time (gpx 4500) and still running that machine and will be for a long time yet and I was told the exact same thing.

My advice is to do what you feel best for you, weighing up the opinions of others for guidance.

Wish you well, Cheers Adrian

P.S. I think there is another forum get together soonish??
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 pm

G/Day GoldstalkerGPX.
Mate am I a tad slow, Its taken me this long to twig that there is two x Adrian on the forum.
I have left the SS of my name a couple of times, I better not do that any more hey Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Did I here Form Get together, where , when. I will drive over from Adelaide to meet you guys.

madmax800
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 pm

[quote Hi Goldylox, If I understand you are moving from Queensland and want to buy a property in Tarnagulla, and the reason for this radical change is the hope of finding a few grams of gold, it seems a bit excessive do not you think? Why not rent for a few months and see if you like the place and especially if you enjoy metal detecting, do not believe everything you read, and before deciding anything explores various possibilities.

Cheers
Goldquest
[/quote]

Hi Goldquest. Thanks for ur sensible input. I've been renting in Vic for quite a while waiting for my rural Qld property to sell and it finally has. No, the reason isn't gold, that's just a possible bonus due to being down here already & now needing to find a simple home rather than keep on renting. I'd love to unpack after 6 years. It's a hobby (geology & fossicking) since I was a kid, which I can now afford to indulge a little as I head off into my second childhood, so may as well be based in the thick of it. I'm learning a lot & meeting wonderful people along the way too - feel blessed to be here. Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Goldylox wrote:[quote Hi Goldylox, If I understand you are moving from Queensland and want to buy a property in Tarnagulla, and the reason for this radical change is the hope of finding a few grams of gold, it seems a bit excessive do not you think? Why not rent for a few months and see if you like the place and especially if you enjoy metal detecting, do not believe everything you read, and before deciding anything explores various possibilities.

Cheers
Goldquest

Hi Goldquest. Thanks for ur sensible input. I've been renting in Vic for quite a while waiting for my rural Qld property to sell and it finally has. No, the reason isn't gold, that's just a possible bonus due to being down here already & now needing to find a simple home rather than keep on renting. I'd love to unpack after 6 years. It's a hobby (geology & fossicking) since I was a kid, which I can now afford to indulge a little as I head off into my second childhood, so may as well be based in the thick of it. I'm learning a lot & meeting wonderful people along the way too - feel blessed to be here. Smile [/quote]

I understand and agree with your reasons, wishes you good luck and hope you can enjoy this beautiful hobby for many years to come, let us know if and when you're ready to go detecting. Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 pm

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:G'day Goldylox, Tarnagulla is a pretty central location and in my opinion would be fairly ideal. The biggest thing for me is the drive to get to the locations, ie Tarnagulla 3hrs, so to be based in and around some of the best locations there are you would be way in front.

Good luck with your adventures and I hope that you find something that suits, even as a rookie why not buy the best detector that is available. You will have people telling you that you should start with something not so complicated, I started out with the best at the time (gpx 4500) and still running that machine and will be for a long time yet and I was told the exact same thing.

My advice is to do what you feel best for you, weighing up the opinions of others for guidance.

Wish you well, Cheers Adrian

P.S. I think there is another forum get together soonish??

Thanks GoldstalkerGPX! Very positive. Smile Yep, I'm kinda done with having so much third hand in life & roughing it since I retired, so I think getting the best gear I can will help. I'm buggered with osteoporosis (recent broken spine) so have to take into account my ability to even handle a 5000 or anything, but I "hear" they are some of the lightest 'tectors out there. Lots to investigate before I part with hard earned cash like that & I will take a proper course too! Just got in from Tarnagulla one cuppa tea ago & met some great locals at an open house for sale - they all prospect & have their tales. Both mega low budget properties I viewed today were as one would expect...in bad states with crap services & needing extensive bucks thrown into them just to be functional and I'm no diva who needs everything perfect. Maybe building a shanty house from scratch would be smarter. Thinkin' it all over this weekend, but keepin' the eyes peeled for anything else out there. Cheers.

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Goldylox,
Welcome to forum and welcome to Victoria.
As you love chasing gold, choosing the Golden Triangle as permanent base makes a lot of sense and right choice.
Gold-fields are very close for most of Victorians but still driving 2-3 hours adds up.

I have just started detecting recently and in a process discovered many, many old gold towns in Golden Triangle.
Starting from Creswick, Talbot, Clunes, Maryborough, Dunolly, Moliagul, Laanecoorie, Waanyarra, Tarnagulla, Maldon, Castlemaine etc -they are true blue alive golden monuments.

I am going there every weekend, sometimes just for a drive and coffee, country pie, sometimes detecting.
Finding gold is a bonus.
Today i went to Bendigo and just came back to Melbourne driving trough Golden triangle and couldn't help myself then stop to Tarnagulla and few others places to make few photos.
Drive to Golden Triangle:
TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE? Img_0710

I was born on an island practically with one leg in the sea but have discovered beauty of the bush.
Going there in the bush experiencing wildlife and nature, tranquillity, serenity is simply breathtaking.
The reason i love going detecting are experiencing moments like this:
TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE? Img-2010
Simply stunning.

Here is one little house in Tarnagulla recently on the market:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-tarnagulla-107514825
( I am l@@king forward to one day buy a little bit of land there)

I wish you good luck in finding a property and keep us updated.I am sure we will meet somewhere there swinging.
Forum meet is on agenda soon and looking forward to catch up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks Golden!

Sorry, I only just noticed your post. Embarassed

Great photos too! Hope you find your pot of the good stuff at the end of that lovely rainbow. Yes, I viewed that wee cottage and it's pretty far gone, no plumbing, no toilet, white ants, ceiling falling down etc. It's under offer now, but one I was happy to let pass me by. Great location tho - right next to The Poverty Mine and romantic looking ruins of the Wesleyan Church. I took a heap of snaps too.

I'm somewhat torn between a cutesy granny'ish cottage in Korong Vale (no gold there as far I can research - but Wedderburn still productive) and a complete & utter dump in Tarnagulla. The main miner's cabin has been there for donkey's years but the rest is added-on shacks & very home built. I have the contract here ready to post (filled with my numerous conditions!), but boy, it's a filthy hovel and the old dude there isn't budging much on the price because it's his "palace". It has no hot water atm, only power to some of it via extension leads and the loo doesn't even flush. Hah! I really pick 'em...but it's all about location as they say at the end of the day and there is plenty of gold around. Friends doing pretty well there and now I'm the proud Mum of Gerty the gold grubber - my swanky new 5000, so I will be joining in the great treasure hunts with the keenness of a demented rookie despite being a half blind, half deaf gimp. Smile

Gotta decide soon about this potential hippie shack because I need to settle for a while, swing Gerty around this coming summer & plan some horrible renovations if I go for it (or blow it up)...I hate this part. Shocked

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:35 pm

hey goldylox

i have a fantastic idea for you.... you can buy the shack, then host all our vic forum meets and get everyone to pitch in and renovate for you LOL (of course, i will just keep swinging cos someone has to, lol)

seriously, good luck with whatever you purchase and i hope Gerty does her gold finding thing for you Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Goldylox,

I was driving through Dunolly a few months ago and there are some great places for sale in that great place, very close to everything even fuel which is not available in Tarnagulla??

Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi TheHOward!

Decision is made! Tarnagulla shack it is. God help me, I must be outta my mind with gold fever! Shocked

Forum members (who PM me prior so I know who the heck you are & won't shoot you in the butt if caught hopping over my gates) would be most welcome to stop by for a cuppa & a yarn or a bit of company over at ye olde pub (mine's a coffee) which looks like it could use a few more bums on seats... I hear the tucker there is okay & served on a Friday & Sat but forget it weekdays/nights. The block is a kinda cramped sloping 1/2 acre dog toilet at the moment, but I'm sure, after a mega clean up that there's room for a couple of tents/campers if need be (nice dogs welcome too) & there will be a basic cabin (currently with no power or own loo/shower) with double bunks if I can offload some of my junk! There is a so-called strong room (which needs making properly secure imho) for temporary storage of kit if you don't want to risk it being left in your vehicle while you're out there. I have alarms I'll fit to it too. No charge - just say hello. Smile

Not sure if the caravan park will ever reopen - but there is talk (whisper, whisper it's a tiny town)...and I've been offered to run it for the hypothetical new owners if ever that happened as I have a few years experience in that business. Meh, might cut into getting all dusty in the dirt too much tho! Pro's & con's huh? Laughing

ALSO:

There is a small block of land in Welsh Street for sale at only $12,500. It's only good for a caravan/portacabin, but might suit someone who needs something more substantial than a swag camp in the area. I'd put in an eco composting loo and rain tank & away ya go with solar panels. Prob pick it up for under $10k. It's 14m wide x 40m long so fits a van but planning permit unlikely. It's on realestate.com under Tarnagulla land search if anyone's interested.

Hi mariner3800 - Yep, I've seen all Dunolly has to offer and sadly it's still over budget for me as I refuse point blank to have another mortgage to be a slave to. Smile I've been in remote areas a while, so am used to stocking up on the fuel issue - but mainly chocolate. I'll make sure I keep some extra spare unleaded (and Cadbury's Old Gold) for anyone who gets stuck!

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:00 pm

hey goldylox.... i dont need a loo.... im like a bear and yes i do it in the woods LMAO

chocolate and fuel.... glad you have your priorities right, hehehe

oh by the way, i have my coffee white and 2 TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE? Xother_kaffekopp
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 pm

TheH0ward wrote:hey goldylox.... i dont need a loo.... im like a bear and yes i do it in the woods LMAO

chocolate and fuel.... glad you have your priorities right, hehehe

oh by the way, i have my coffee white and 2 TARNAGULLA A GOOD BASE? Xother_kaffekopp

Oooh, TMI dude! Smile

Hope u carry hand sanitizer - which we all should anyway seeing as you can get some pretty nasty sickness from the spores in the dirt & no creeks around for a quick rinse up.

Chocolate, fuel, smokes, pie & chips even. I'll just turn the shack into a Coles Express! Tarnagulla won't know what's hit it since the roaring days. I was out at Mortons Hotel in Waanyarra yesterday with a mate and think the ghosts must have followed me home. Supply & demand must have been awesome in those days. Just for you - I'll give away some eco loo rolls tho - dock leaves are hard to find. lol

I think this evolving cafe will soon be self serve...including smelly sock washing. hehehe.

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:38 pm

hey did you see the geocache in mortons hotel? TheH0ward wrote in it LOL. If you didnt see it i can tell you where it is for next time, lol.

Dude? How about dudette Laughing

i will bring my own loo paper. I like mine with little flowers on it hahaha

Goldylox Cafe .... self serve, hehehe. Would that be gold coin donation?
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustydog Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:43 pm

wow i like your style of thinking Goldylox , hope every thing works out for you.
dont know how much use that area would be to me as i am a digger not a detector , us clowns need water to keep going lol
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 pm

do a rain dance rusty geek you'll be right, hehehe
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustydog Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 pm

that could work TH but knowing my luck it would be a thunderstorm that would wash me away
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 pm

TheH0ward wrote:hey did you see the geocache in mortons hotel? TheH0ward wrote in it LOL. If you didnt see it i can tell you where it is for next time, lol.

Dude? How about dudette Laughing

i will bring my own loo paper. I like mine with little flowers on it hahaha

Goldylox Cafe .... self serve, hehehe. Would that be gold coin donation?

Kewl, another dudette! Smile

No I didn't see it. Got distracted by my damned dog rolling in pooh...roo pooh I hope, but it could have been a bear by the whiff of it in the car afterwards. LOL. She may look cute in the pic - but is the world's greatest dis-service dog - bloody useless guide dog.

Agree flowery bog roll is the bomb...mine's got frogs on it - no croak intended. How interesting. What a topic for a gold forum. Smile

That would be a gold nugget donation...no fools gold allowed. Hahaha.

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down