Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

working in old goldfields

3 posters

Go down

working in old goldfields Empty working in old goldfields

Post  richmond Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:39 am

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading it for a while...

Where I live there are literally dozens of old workings/mines/reefs within a 10km radius... it's very rugged mountainous country in places with some beautiful creeks... and while research tells me a lot of gold was pulled out of the area both out of quartz and the creeks, I struggle to find references on maps/online etc. It's only through local libraries etc that I've found out certain things - and I've got an old map showing all the claims from the late 1800s. I have never seen any reference to this area on any forum, even though at one point it was shaping up as a very important goldfield, according to historical records.

I went for a wander around one of the mines the other day and brought home a few big bits of quartz that were downhill from some where a reef was profitably mined - cracked it open, and lo and behold there were heaps of tiny specks of gold... I've also found specks in the creek that runs through my place and in quartz that is on the slope at the back of my house.

I haven't bought a detector yet - my wife and I are doing a training day in September with Gold Prospecting Australia up Bendigo way to see if we like it or not... but regardless I think I'll hire a detector and spend a week combing the area... I'm assuming focussing on the areas between the old mines and the creeks is the way to go? Any thoughts welcomed...

Cheers

richmond
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

working in old goldfields Empty Re: working in old goldfields

Post  maka Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:47 am

What general area are you in ( dont give away your location just the state would be ok). Google earth has marks PM me your email, and i will send you some stuff. Cheers
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

working in old goldfields Empty Re: working in old goldfields

Post  chopppacalamari Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 pm

start a pile of those gold bearing quartz rocks. If you trace some to a reef that's not been worked you might be able to start your own mine. I'd be pretty excited about it if I were you. You should look up your area on the DIGS website to see actual mine reports from the old days.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down