Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detecting on wet ground?

3 posters

Go down

detecting on wet ground? Empty detecting on wet ground?

Post  crabby Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:47 pm

well we had our third trip to the gold field area of vic with the gp3000 and managed to find some more .22 calliber shells and some rubbish but no yellow stuff yet.all part of the learning curve and we will get there in the end.
i do have a question though.we stopped to have a bite to eat then the rain came in giving the ground a wet look but not soaking wet and the detecter went nuts when we started again , could not ground balance it out and the detector sounded like a police siren goin off so we called it quits.

is this normal in wet conditions?

thanx crabby

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

detecting on wet ground? Empty Re: detecting on wet ground?

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:35 am

Gday Crabby

It sounds more likely that you were picking up electrical type interference ( EMI ) rather than noise from the ground, although I have experienced one area that once wet it would make the detectors moan and groan but this is not usual (well not for WA anyway ) I dont know where you are located but it could be the norm for some eastern states goldfields areas.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:49 am

You could have a break down in coil shielding, when the coil gets wet it could cause the detector to go off as you discribed, did you try another coil??
cj

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  crabby Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:30 am

no we didnt , w just had the one coil with us.we did dry it completly but it didnt help.will try that if we ever get in that situation again.we couldnt work it out so it was the end of our detecting day so we decided to just have a look around and came across some good looking what looks like untouched ground for our next trip Very Happy
glad it doesnt sound like a common problem cheers

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Out4Fun Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:23 am

Hi Crabby,

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago.

I went out detecting in the northern part of the Goldfields and that day the detector sounded as if a monkey is gone mad. It was a Saturday, it rained in the morning and the cloud cover during the day was constantly changing from dark grey to light grey - the ground was still wet too. Some members pointed out that the EMI was terrible that weekend and some other people had the same problem detecting.

It was right, the next time I went out again - some clouds and a bit of sunshine - the detector was back to normal. No more problems, except that I did not walk over gold, only rusty bits and pieces were found.

I am sure you will have more success again when the weather is better.

Cheers
Ralph
Out4Fun
Out4Fun
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  crabby Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 am

thanx ralph
sounds like it was just one of those days Very Happy
thanx for all the reply,s guys
much apreciated Cool

crabby
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down