Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500

3 posters

Go down

Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500 Empty Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500

Post  Digginerup Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi folks, Just wondering if the more experienced among the forum could share with us what the effects of wet ground/grass etc has on the performance of this detector.
Regards.
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500 Empty detecting in wet ground

Post  tirp56 Sun May 20, 2012 7:36 pm

g,day mate i believe that it helps get a bit more depth,but i am not a 100% sure but you can try it out yourself by burying targets and trying them out on wet or dry days to see if you can tell the difference,or some of the more experienced members of this forum may be able to shed some more light on the matter cheers al

tirp56
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500 Empty Re: Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500

Post  big fella Sun May 20, 2012 9:51 pm

G'Day
With my 4500 wet ground is good, however on the slightest of slopes in the Triangle i know most people will agree that only the very top soil will be wet, the water just runs off,Happy digging it's still hard.
Big Fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500 Empty Re:-detecting-in-wet-ground-with-gpx-4500

Post  Guest Sun May 20, 2012 10:58 pm

G'day and welcome to the forum, I find that in some ground when it is wet you tend to get more ground noise, but it may also help with targets that are in the ground become more definite. Hope this helps. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500 Empty Re: Detecting in wet ground with GPX 4500

Post  Guest Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 am

Digginerup wrote:Hi folks, Just wondering if the more experienced among the forum could share with us what the effects of wet ground/grass etc has on the performance of this detector.
Regards.

Gday

When the ground is really wet, like just after a huge downpour you will find that you will get many more false signals, and also it gets really messy on the coil, allowing moisture and mud to also get in between the skid plate and the coil body which can also cause false signals as well.

Swinging through wet grass will also allow water to get into the coil, between the coil body and the skid plate and if you have any cracks or your coil has any defective joins (have seen this in even brand new coils) then once the moisture gets inside the corrosion will start and shorten the life span of the coil.

Damp ground is fine, two or three days after a good soaking seems to be the best time, the ground is evenly moistened and cool, aiding in penetration and evening out some of the ground noise.

The 4500 will play up a bit in really sloppy conditions but I have found that it does handle it better than my previous gp3500 and extreme, its fine if you are caught away from camp and detect for a short time on the way back, but in these conditions it becomes slow and messy, also the wet mud will stick to everything and if not taken straight away off the coil body it will stain the white minelab type coils leaving them with an orange tinge.

If you do detect in these conditions whatever you do dont neglect taking any of the covers off from the coils you have used and give them a clean up and re tape, if the conditions persist and you have no choice but to detect in the wet, then I would also tape up the insides of the spoked coils at least it will keep the worst of it out, then at the end of the day untape a section and have a look to see if anythings managed to get in.

cheers

stayyerAU

Last edited by stayyerAU on Tue May 22, 2012 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add further information)

Back to top Go down