Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detecting in damp ground??

Go down

Detecting in damp ground?? Empty Detecting in damp ground??

Post  Guest Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:10 pm

G'day to all Forum Users,

Just wondering if I can get some feed back on the topic of detecting in damp ground.

Still a self confessed novice and I have been hanging out to go for a day in the field and managed to get away for a detect today at my secret little (and I do mean little) patch that I have had some luck with, in the GT of Victoria - (between Tearabagapart* and Wheelthebarraback* in case anyone is interested) Laughing

The area had endured some of the heavy rain which has struck Victoria in the last 3 or 4 days, there were some large puddles on the track into the area, that I had previously never seen any sign of. The soil/ground was generally damp down to 3 or 4 inches.

My questions are - Would I have been better advised to wait until the area had dried out and was I kind of wasting my time detecting in those conditions?

I didn't seem to have any trouble with GB? and used similar settings to what I have done so far - I did however seem to get a lot of "false signals" (or what I thought turned out to be false signals, still learning so who knows) - even though I was lucky enough to snare another little ironstone coated 0.26 gram piece - my third little 'un from that patch so far.

I also found the task of locating my trash/gold finds difficult when waiving my scoop across my coil - the soil was rather damp and lumpy and they didn't seem to register as readily as my previous trash/gold finds.

Cheers, Trev

Back to top Go down

Detecting in damp ground?? Empty Re: Detecting in damp ground??

Post  Aurumick Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:37 pm

G'day gold

I've found detecting about two days after rain is best, and even on cloudy cool days without rain. the conditions seem to be the best for detecting.

Cheers Mick

Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Detecting in damp ground?? Empty Thanks for that Mick

Post  Guest Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 pm

mickAurum wrote:G'day gold

I've found detecting about two days after rain is best, and even on cloudy cool days without rain. the conditions seem to be the best for detecting.

Cheers Mick

G'day Mick, thanks for that.

I had a feeling that the conditions were not ideal......just been busting to get out there again and couldn't keep away - (Tearabagapart can be so lovely this time of year)  Laughing

It was humid and a little hot as well....more of a problem for the operator, as opposed to the detector.

Follow up Question - Does detecting after rain help.... by keeping the ground "cooler" and therefore make the detector a little more responsive??

Cheers, Trev

Back to top Go down

Detecting in damp ground?? Empty Re: Detecting in damp ground??

Post  Aurumick Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:53 pm

G'day Trev

After a rain yes the ground seem to be cooler, Mineralization seems quieter, detector runs more stable, not effected buy EMI's as bad, unless a storm is about, that can be received up to 200ks away spike or false sound get from lighting strike.
If ground is too damp we will get more false ground sounds, some area's it can hide gold targets especially in W.A. ground
hope this this is help full

Cheers Mick
Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Detecting in damp ground?? Empty Thanks for that Mick

Post  Guest Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm

mickAurum wrote:G'day Trev

After a rain yes the ground seem to be cooler, Mineralization seems quieter, detector runs more stable, not effected buy EMI's as bad, unless a storm is about, that can be received up to 200ks away spike or false sound get from lighting strike.
If ground is too damp we will get more false ground sounds, some area's it can hide gold targets especially in W.A. ground
hope this this is help full

Cheers Mick

G'day Mick, Thanks for the input/response.

Without actually knowing, it sort of made sense to me that rain would "cool" the ground and quieten down the mineralisation.

Nice to have someone with experience back that up for me. I do appreciate it when others who know a bit about the caper feel free to pass on their tips and knowledge.

As I said, I was keen to get out for a day in the field and probably should have waited a day or two - put it down to the old gold fever Laughing

Cheers Trev

Back to top Go down