Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asking what is chaining

5 posters

Go down

Asking what is chaining  Empty Asking what is chaining

Post  Justdigging Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi am new to prospecting but have read that people have chained an area and researching what this means but coming up blank and thought post the question to the experts , also just a point of clarification of my curiosity am located in WA and see a gold season from May to Sept and was wondering is this because the weather is kinder ie cooler to work and dig and also the lighting thunder storms are less likely to interfere with the coils . Sorry in advance if this is stupid questions but always brought up on no such thing as a stupid question just a unasked one it Question Question
Cheers Dave
Justdigging
Justdigging
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Asking what is chaining  Empty Re: Asking what is chaining

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 pm

G'day Dave, Chaining is a method of dragging a chain behind you to leave a mark in the ground so upon your return in the opposite direction you will see where you have been, this is done to achieve the best coverage of all ground with the coil so that you are not missing any nuggets.
You are spot on with the seasons too.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers Laughing
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Justdigging Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks mate for the feedback , still a bit house bound with shoulder op so reading heaps and making a few mods , but cant wait to have a good dig at it . My first go was in a far bit of under growth but can see now with your answer and different ground how chaining would work .
Thanks GoldstalkerGPX for feedback cheers p
Justdigging
Justdigging
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Just Digging
As Goldstalker said dragging a chain shows you where youve been.It amazing how much gold can be left behind because it hasnt been properly covered.If you come across a piece its wise to chain the area.Back and forth ,left and right and Diagonially.
A length of chain 2 foot long and 3 foot of nylon chord tied to the back of your harness does the job.Its also the cheapest gps system to find your campsite.Just follow your chainlines home.
Cheers Dig
PS If you can get hold of an old motorbike chain from a bike shop they do an excellent job

Last edited by Dig24crt on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Awsome idea. I drag my foot on the beach but i have never heard of chaining. I use bread crumbs to find my way home...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  everhopeful Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 am

hey maka..with bread crumbs..just follow the seagulls.

everhopeful
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Chaining is what Goldstalker said Smile

Just for the reference - the chain is attached to a rope, and the rope attaches to the belt, at the back. THe chain bit has to be long & heavy enough to leave a solid mark on fairly hard ground.

it is more usefull in wide-open spaces. Such as WA salt lakes. In the Vic forest i would not bother - dragging the foot works fine.
On the field might be usefull, but not if there is green grass covering the ground.

To make things more confusing:

raking is more effective than chaining when working a patch. you an see where you ve been just as well, but you also gain inch or two in depth.

Discuss Smile

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down