Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method.

+4
joe82
AnnieL
staples61
Nightjar
8 posters

Go down

Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method. Empty Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method.

Post  Nightjar Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello members & guests,
Was shown this chaining method back in the 80's and found my first gold with a Garrett Deepseeker.
You can read the article in the January 2020 GG&T currently on sale.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method. Empty Re: Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method.

Post  staples61 Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 am

Nightjar,
Read your article in this months GG&T ,it makes sense to use a circular chaining method.
I have always tended to circle my nugget finds.Thanks for your efforts in writing an interesting article.
Staples

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method. Empty Re: Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method.

Post  AnnieL Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Yes, I read your good article. Thanks.

I find it impossible to chain when detecting in Clermont QLD, something my friend in WA finds difficult to understand Very Happy
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 pm

So AnnieL, You don't chain through choice or is it because of the terrain in Qld?
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:52 pm

Nightjar, the terrain. Where I detect is state forest so you have logs, grass, leaf litter and boulders - so it’s not possible, nor would any chain marks show up on the ground. Very Happy
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:00 pm

a simple scratch mark with my foot every second or third step In a circular pattern does wonders in that country and here at home Cool

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:49 am

joe82 wrote:a simple scratch mark with my foot every second or third step In a circular pattern does wonders in that country and here at home Cool

.....and helps to find the way home if the GPS fails Laughing
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Gold, Gem & Treasure, A tried and proven chaining method. Empty G G & T A tried and proven chaining method.....

Post  sandy2010 Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Put your detecting gear on the ground, then go find a dead tree branch about 1.5 metres long and about 12cm at the thick end (enough to give it weight to leave a mark when you drag it along the ground).
Find a suitable area where you can drag it to mark a line about 20 metres long then do an "about-turn" and walk back leaving a space about 60cm from your orginal line, and so on........until you have marked say 20 lines.
Now pick up your 'tector. and walk back and forth along the spaces or lines.
It makes for nice easy detecting ,and if you alternate between marking and 'tecting you don't get bored.

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  flouro Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:15 am

Hi All,

Or do what i do when on a patch (few and far between) is to drag my chain which is three in one, an orange piece of conduit with rope attached and three evenly spaced drag chains on it

Mark out about 10-15 rows drop the chain and start detecting, like Sandy says it makes for a good brake from the monotonous swinging of the coil...some people have found motor bike chain wrapped with barbed wire does the trick with difficult ground

The missus goes round and round(makes me dizzy just thinkin about it whereas i prefer to go rectangular in shape and the centre of my swing is the centre of my chaining do not put the chain in the centre of your back for obvious reasons

Cheers,Ron

flouro
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2014-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:38 am

staples61 wrote:Nightjar,
Read your article in this months GG&T ,it makes sense to use a circular chaining method.
I have always tended to circle my nugget finds.Thanks for your efforts in writing an interesting article.
Staples

Staples, Some will say that too much ground is missed when circling when in fact every swing overlaps the previous circle if you're chaining about 500mm apart. The chain drags to either left or right of your foot steps, depending which direct you're chaining.
** BTW, have just noticed, the sketch I did for GG&T shows a clockwise rotation, when in fact I chain anticlockwise, not that it matters.**
Good luck out there.Detecting :bmar
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:12 am

true nightjar I go anticlockwise also buggers me why just feels good hehe Shocked Shocked Shocked

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rockhunter62 Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:45 am

I carry my detector in the right hand and do anti-clockwise circles. Too awkward with your sweep to go clockwise.

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:53 am

rockhunter62 wrote:I carry my detector in the right hand and do anti-clockwise circles. Too awkward with your sweep to go clockwise.

Cheers

Doug

Yes Doug, Joe82, Even though I'm left handed I swing right handed.
Must have been a senior moment sketching clockwise rotation. Embarassed

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down