Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chaining chain

2 posters

Go down

chaining chain Empty chaining chain

Post  reg Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:49 pm

ok here is one for some one out there, i know the one about how long is a bit of string... as long as you want to make it , Suspect but what is roughly the length of a bit of motor bike chain for chaining as this is something i have not tried yet, confused and i came across a piece during the flood cleanup in r,ton.
cheers...reg

reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

chaining chain Empty Re: chaining chain

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Reg a foot or so usually does the trick.
It's not so much the length but more enough wieght to leave a decent mark you can see and not too long to be cumbersome or be a snag hazard.

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:40 pm

thanks tuna your a champ, now all i got to do is find a patch to try it out one day it will happen, if i can ever get out again with the weather the way its going.
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:10 am

Gday Reg

Motorbike chain sounds a bit light weight to me, like Tuna said the chain has to be heavy enough to leave a reasonable mark on the ground, I have a piece of chain (about 1 mtr) attached to the end of a piece of rope thats (about 1.5 mtrs) which has a clip to snap on to my belt, just galvinised link type chain like whats used on trailer, anchor chains etc.

If the chain is not heavy enough at some stage you will turn around only to find that you cant see the drag marks, also sometimes on ground that has plenty of rocks a reasonable piece of chain will part the rocks where a too light a piece will just slide over them barely leaving a mark.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

chaining chain Empty Re: Chaining chain

Post  sandy2010 Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:32 pm

I've tried the chain routine and got tired of snagging, so what I do now is get a reasonably heavy dead tree branch about 2 metres in length,and drag that with the heavy thick base to score a mark on the ground......I pre mark the area as large as required, then I detect.
If I have difficulty on hard ground, I hammer a 4inch(10cm) nail into the branch leaving half of it protruding.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down