Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

complete novice

3 posters

Go down

complete novice Empty complete novice

Post  warragul Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:25 pm

To All,
Yes, another novice. I am attempting to determine what detector I need to get started and where I can learn how to detect. I am based in Victoria and envisage travelling to the Maryborough region to fossick.
Any suggestions re gear etc. would be much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation

Warragul

warragul
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

complete novice Empty Re: complete novice

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Gday Warragul, welcome to forum, questions you should answer,
1. Whats your budget
2. what the detector is going to be used for (gold or coin/ relics)
3. New or used detector

When you finally buy a detector some detector shops training days, which will give you the basics of your machine. You can also join a club and they will help you with lots of questions and generally help out newbies. Joining this forum has been a good start as is a wealth of information here, some forum members might even help you out and give you info like, settings, general locations and they might even invite you to go out with them. and the best advise is research research research.

Regards Johnny sunny

HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello warragul, the search bar at the top right is good for finding earlier threads about different detectors and gear and their approximate costs. Anywhere from $1500 to $4500 seems to be what's required for a secondhand machine, and Minelab seems to be the favoured brand for goldhunting. The Minelab website has archived information on all their detectors if you want to look there.

Welcome to the research stage, this forum is a good start. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:57 am

G'day Warragal welcome to the Forum.

My only suggestion would be try before you buy.Talk to the major Detector shops,see what you think might suit you and hire it for a couple of days before jumping in head first as a newbie,only to find down the track this hobby don't suit you.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down