Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protecting the detector in the wet weather

4 posters

Go down

Protecting the detector in the wet weather Empty Protecting the detector in the wet weather

Post  yellowmellow Thu May 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi All,

Going detecting this weekend in the GT in Vic and since its going to be a bit wet i would like to know how to protect my detector (a GPX4500) in the wet weather.

Are there such things as covers for them while you detect.

As iam going to using the gpx4500 for the the first time i would like to protct it as much from the rain as possible.

I am going detecting mostly on sunday.

Any thoughts.

Any how i managed to read the manual and get some suitable settings for the GT.

Also does anyone from the Ivanhoe fossickers club a member of this forum i would like to know more of the next camp in may.

Cheers,
Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Protecting the detector in the wet weather Empty Re: Protecting the detector in the wet weather

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 5:28 pm

hey mate, i have made from a dry as a bone jacket that i had laying around it keep it from get wet...the other thing i have done have trilled 2 holes in the back cap so the water don't sit and leak into the box...i'll post pictures up if i can find them...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Protecting the detector in the wet weather Empty Re: Protecting the detector in the wet weather

Post  llanbric Thu May 19, 2011 5:34 pm

A plastic supermarket shopping bag covers the box, just tie the handle loops together, not stylish or hi tec, but cheap and effective.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 5:45 pm

From what i have bean told by Barry Johnson that is do not detect in the rain, water & electronics do not mix!

Rod

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Thu May 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Thinking of putting the control box in a gar bag and putting 2 shopping bags on top as added protection also setting up the detector before i go so i dont have to play around with the settings just to turn it on.

Any other suggestions.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 pm

The best way to stop your detector from getting wet from rain is to.....Leave it in the car and go panning. Laughing Twisted Evil

I would hate to see someone's detector get damaged because of a little bit of gold they may/maynot find. Then there is the issue of detecting on wet ground........not for this kid Evil or Very Mad
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 6:44 pm

the problem with the shopping bags is moisture getting in as there's no airflow getting in. with the cover i made the front is open so the air still go's in and there's no moisture building up......
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Thu May 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Any other cost effective suggestions.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 8:12 am

Gday

Ideally you shouldnt really detect in the rain anyway, but its a good idea to carry some protection when you are away from camp in case you get caught in a downpour, the two things I carry are one plastic shopping bag, the grey ones are best, the plastic is thicker and has a greasier surface texture and repels the water easily.

The other thing is one of those cheap poncho's, can be bought for about $2/3 both of these things fit between the control box and the protective padded cover, if you leave them in there you will always have then when you need them.

With the shopping bag it takes only seconds to fish it out and pull it over the control box and you can pull it over the box from the back end and when the entire box and front end where the coil lead goes in is covered then you use the handles to securely tie the bag in place around the detector shaft.

The poncho you can throw over yourself and then drape over the detectors control box as well, neither of these items will do for long time use but will protect your detector in a crunch and until you get yourself under cover or back to your vehicle.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  opalngold Fri May 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Eureka wrote:Any other cost effective suggestions.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
Howdy, I have used a shopping bag as well, I always carry 1 in the backpack. I also have a childs raincoat which works pretty good as well, the sleeves help to hold it on the control box. lasts longer than a shopping bag.
Cheers Greg

opalngold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Fri May 20, 2011 7:45 pm

I might have to invest in a purpose built cover for the control box.

I have seen them before.Some prospectors use them they just wrap around the control box i think the brand is wisterma.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm

fencejumper wrote:tim
if you want a purpose built cover for the control box,
try typing in "dd control box cover" in e-bay...they are fully enclosed

These are a very good cover and I have one on mine, although not 'waterproof' so to speak they do offer great protection from light showers, dust, scratch etc etc. well worth the few $$ they cost.

No matter how we protect our machines remember that the vital item to 'weather proof' is probably the power lead comming into the rear of the machine.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down