Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a PI Detector

+16
chopppacalamari
Kon61gold
granite2
adaduam
OldMogo
ACTIV8
mallee00
xenon
shicer
woody
everhopeful
polak
monkey
Rov
GoldTone
mariner3800
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Building a PI Detector - Page 2 Empty Re: Building a PI Detector

Post  Guest Sun May 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi Fencejumper,

I think his idea is great, the more the merrier but it belongs elsewhere and OPEN SOURCE is nothing new, almost all the detectors on Geotech are open sourced...some good some not so good.

You are right in that he has no right to claim the abilities to be as good as a GPX5000 as we have all seen what the QED has had to put up with, let the detectors speak for themselves is what it should be, any amount of bullshit can be said but proofs in the pudding

Not really Minelab bashing ...just stating fact!!!(note how many times MINELAB got advertised)

And Mallee00, i totally agree with you, when the QED came out to play i jumped on board and could only see good things coming from the project and didn't mind saying so....but the Minelab supporters(Whealers and Dealers) jumped down my/ our throughts because they saw it as a threat.

Credit where credit is due...Go the QED

And Stuff Minelab

Ron

PS: Yeh, i am M/L bashing now

Back to top Go down

Post  ACTIV8 Sun May 08, 2011 8:10 pm

I find it astounding that outhere should use this thread to fly the flag for
Doug’s forum. It would seem Doug has asked someone here to advise Byteman that his forum is the place to canvas support for the detector concept. In the past outhere and correct me if I am wrong I have observed you being the messenger and creating some heated moments on other forums. Do we need that here?
Byteman I am sure many would like you to expand on what you have let us glimpse.
ACTIV8

ACTIV8
ACTIV8
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Activ8,

You don't get it, i do like using Minelab but despise their attacks on the smaller projects that could be a thorn in their side

Everyone knows that M/L have the monopoly for now and we the end users should be encouraging these other detectors, some people are paying thru the nose...over $6000 just for the detector and then you should have 4-5 coils to go with it and a bag,GPS and other bits and pieces

That makes $10,000 to get set up ....to find flyshit!!!, thats a lot of .1gr nugg's to pay that sucker off, 310 nuggs/ounce x $1500/ounce...thats SIX ounces of gold.....thats 1860 x.1gr nuggs about a years prospecting full time....damn well do the sums and stick it up them!!!

True, it can take just one nugget to counter this but in one year running this park i have seen 3 people that could pay for their machine out of several hundred prospectors!!!

Who pushed my button!!!!

Byteman, all i am trying to say is you would do better and get more help on other forums than this one, as i have said mostly it is an end users forum, to which i enjoy being part of.

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  ACTIV8 Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Well I am sorry outhere but I find it confronting and condescending that you presume to
lecture me on, and I assume others may take the same view, just how stupid we are for spending a reasonable amount on our hobby.
My detectors have been well and truly paid for with results, but if this was not so, why are you and other well known protagonists you are associated with so concerned. Question
It may come as a shock but most of us do not need you and Doug championing our cause
or showing us the error of our ways. Some may say butt out.
ACTIV8
ACTIV8
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  OldMogo Sun May 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Murachu wrote:Byteman, what you are advocating is anarchy ,pure and simple, Dont get me wrong if dredging were legal ide be in it -- well in this great democracy it isnt at present but there are some of us fighting for the rights!
I fully agree Murachu.

Byteman your attitude is what can end up stuffing prospecting for everyone. No No
There are a lot of people from these forums and also prospecting clubs who are actively lobbying to have restrictions relaxed and regain some of our previous rights.
Comments like yours only serve to hinder their efforts.

Mogo

Last edited by OldMogo on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

OldMogo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Well, I am just stunned to say the least. Authere expect a PM soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 12:10 am

Hi Activ8,

I don't presume anything at all, i know we are being taken for a ride(words chosen carefully) it has been said to produce or the cost to M/L for these machines is miniscule to what we are being asked to pay, if you think thats a fair deal well soldier on buddy but if you are like the rest of us we presume that there isn't an alternative so we bight the bullet and buy what we have to buy.

But to denegrate a new detector on the block before its even finished that is low and i for one fight for the little guy and this is one fight i'm sure everybody thinks is nearly won, so in saying that, hold on to your $10,000 outfits because...

The QED... IS coming.

Ron

PS: Gee, its all quiet on the western front, must be mummy's day!!!!!....Hi MOM!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 am

Being fairly new to the "gold prospecting game" I for one researched for many months all the info I could acquire about what metal detectors were out there on the market. As, at the end of the day, and like the majority of people, I have a budget that I have to try and keep to.

I did read a snippets here and here regarding the QED but all the info I read did not convince me that this machine was capable enough of finding the gold we all chase. That is why I too, bit the bullet and bought a new GPX5000. This machine, by what I read, had the edge over every other machine out there on the market at present.

Yes, $6.5K to me was a hell of alot of money to fork out in one hit (plus the added cost of a couple more coils etc), but, in order to have the edge over other detectors and to possible have the potential of picking up gold that was missed by other people with earlier machines that have gone over the same areas I would be prospecting on, I figured I would be better off buying the latest model machine.
I see it as an investment that, treated carefully and looked after, would last me mant years and hopefully end up paying for itself and more.

Currently, I believe ML have the best product out there on the market and that is why I ended up buying one. There are many other "gold detectors" on the market, but as I said earlier, if you want the edge over other detectors you have to pay the extra money.

I do agree with Authere that we are paying to much for this product (especially when you look at how much cheaper the exact same model is sold for in the USA and elsewhere), but ML know that they have the matket here because they have the best product at present. Now if indeed Whites, Fisher or anyone else came out with a detector that was superior to ML's then I would of bought that one instead.

I do hope that Byteman has designed a detector that will outstrip ML's ability as there is nothing better than a bit of competition and if he has or does produce them, I will be in line to purchase one.
GO FOR IT BYTEMAN and I wish you all the luck in your field tests.

Sometimes the little people do win in this world, especially if you get enough public support, so come on people, show a bit of possitive reaction for something that will benifit us all in the end.
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi Xenon,

It's great to hear someone talk sense for a change, everybody agrees that M/L are the best there is for our ground we detect on(home grown)but getting it rammed down your throat every time we say anything about another detector wears pretty thin after a while.

I've said my piece so in saying that i hope the little guys get a working detector out there for a bit of competition and bring the playing field back to normallity

Thanks Xenon!!!

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Mon May 09, 2011 4:21 pm

authere wrote:Hi Xenon,

It's great to hear someone talk sense for a change, everybody agrees that M/L are the best there is for our ground we detect on(home grown)but getting it rammed down your throat every time we say anything about another detector wears pretty thin after a while.

I've said my piece so in saying that i hope the little guys get a working detector out there for a bit of competition and bring the playing field back to normallity

Thanks Xenon!!!

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I see competition a great thing for all concerned. Where would we be without it......Alot worse off......
I am neither anti nor pro Minelab. I believe if someone has come up with a good concept that will better our chances for finding that yellow stuff, then they should be encouraged and not down trodden.

Geez, what would of happened if people told Alexander Fleming (Sir) the inventor of penicillin, that he was wasting his time and to stick to using leeches???????? It is a good thing that he persued his experiments and came up with what we all use now in our medicines.

Competition encourages better outcomes. Just look at the difference between the GPX4500 and the GPX5000....... Bugger all.... Now if there was stiff competition around then the GPX5000 would of prob came with a built in gps system and a few added extras to boot, who knows? ML have the market here and they know it.

xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 4:46 pm

BTW the offending poster Did in fact have his account disabled yesterday and it has since been deleted.

mongo -- good to see Very Happy -- as I have said Im not for denying any one having their say in committee or around the fire ! but these are public forums and one must be sensible about what you put in print ! Im the first to say some laws are asses! but there's a right way and a wrong way to do something about them ! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  adaduam Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Byteman,

Good for you! At least you are "giving your ideas a go!" Too many people want to Knock something! (probably cause it wasn' their idea?) I wish you the best of luck with your proto type! ANY product can be improved! Just needs the right person to come along and look at it from a different angle. I for one would be very interested in the progress/outcome of your project.

I think you picked a real good Title for your topic! Laughing It seems that you have some "Interest" anyway sunny

There sure is some negative thinking out there eh?

Keep it up and may all your problems be large & golden!

alan u

adaduam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 pm

adaduam wrote:

There sure is some negative thinking out there eh?

alan u

where is the negative thinking alan........don't get caught up with what ron goes on about...he likes to make it sound like people are putting the little guy down where new detectors are concerned.

the truth is it's the stupid comments that some people make that attracks the knockers not the new detectors...i'm sure most of the people on this forum would like to see some new detectors that work and are a fair price

Back to top Go down

Post  adaduam Mon May 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Point Taken fencejumper Laughing

adaduam
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 pm

I have always supported Minelab because they had, and have, the best gold detector and they are an Australian company but I have always said that if a better detector came out I would probably buy it.

But if some one comes along and says he is building a detector that will destroy Minelab then a lot of people will listen and probably put off buying a Minelab.

While some will listen, others like myself have seen it all before. Rabid Minelab haters, and there have been many over the years, most of whom are certainly in need of help, will do this in the hope their fabrications will impact on Minelab sales. They probably do in the short term.

If you doubt what I'm saying then count up all the people over the years who have led us up the garden path with promises of a new detector that will go deeper and be more sensitive than Minelab machines. They are many and none of their promises ever eventuated.

If someone is actually trying to build a better machine then good luck to them but please keep it under your hat until it is perfected, tested seven ways to sunday and ready to go on the market.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Jim,

The trouble with the designing of a new detector is M/L's patents which can be very broad and it takes people in the know to sort thru them and to totally redesign the wheel when coming up with a new M/L beating machine it takes more than one persons ideas.

Take the QED for instance, although bugsy's name is on it he has had help and one day with a bit of luck they will have their coming out but mostly it cannot be done without help

The future looks rosy to the fact that many detectors are being worked on, some open source and some private so the future looks real good for us detectorists...heres hopin!!!

Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Gentleman

Byteman was aking for an expression of interest and away we went bashing Minelab, supporting the QED, and going to other forums etc.

Many of the comments are excellent but please endeavour to keep to the topic.

Irregardless of the technicalities of the open detector, you have to do your market research in the first place to see if you can sell the product and if it is worthwhile pursuing the research.

I have found Bytemans story very interesting although his tale is very similar to other detectors which have been developed but have hit a brick wall to get to the sophistication of the latest Minelab.

Often we wonder is it worthwhile spending say $2000 on an SD2200 to get better depth, or would it be worth while to spend say $500 and put a sophisticated detector together which is similar to the GPX5000. I know many of the technically minded guys on this forum would love the challenge.

However we have to acknowledge Jims point that for any detector to be successful, it needs to be thoroughly tested and proven.

Good luck Byteman, it is a very interesting journey and should you continue, it would be great to see how you go. I am sure that there are many here who would gladly assist you

Jeff

Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Well I for one am registering my expression of interest. I would love to see it happen and I would love to hear about gold found with one of these things.

I however am too timepoor to put one together and then I'd never be confident that I did it all right. I don't get many detecting days so I'll just stick to minelab.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Authere you're spot on about the Geotech forum and the stuff going on there. Indeed there are some clever folks there working on all manner of projects, some of which are far more complex than my efforts thus far.

I think that as time permits and when I finally get moved into my new workshop I'll begin posting up some videos for you to see of my progress and I'll also be able to show comparisons to the GPX5000 for reference. I think many of you will be quite shocked at how close you can get (open air testing) to the performance of a GPX detector with several dollars of components and a few dozen lines of software.

My personal opinion is that it is unlikely that anyone is going to come out with a "Minelab killer" based on PI technology. I think Minelab have perhaps taken the performance of this technology to near its limit. What may come from smaller start-ups, experimenters and hobbyists is a detector with comparable performance to the GPX series at a reasonable price provided they can dodge the literal minefield of patents. This is where the open source idea comes into play. Best of all, imagine the excitement of finding gold with a detector you built yourself, to me that's the greatest reward.

Back to top Go down

Building a PI Detector - Page 2 Empty hmmmmm

Post  glenno Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 pm

So what are we getting into here ? sounds to me like your hardware is on tact but we are (you are ) going into software to program these chips ) don't laugh this is serious. I have given up constructing boards etc software and tech is all the go now. ***** coil tech is old hat and you must design to specs of new tech this is going to get very interesting WE CAN ONLY GO FORWARD Razz So tune up on your assembler and C code lol I warned people years ago about computer and chip tech guess what ( KNOW BODY LISTENED ) they want it all in a box with a switch yeah right no prob ( Just like your washing machine vacuum car etc etc etc ) Question Question Question Idea Idea Idea cyclops Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
glenno
glenno
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Building a PI Detector - Page 2 Empty 1 more

Post  glenno Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Also that tractor on your video looks ok but it would take our Australian Safety Law's 15 years to PASS IT ( which I can Guarantee they will find numerousness LITTLE Problems with ( To Suit there Nazi way of thinking ( heh ))) Because were all the old crew now and there the new crew to save us from what we already know GOOD LUCK my Friend in Your Venture cyclops affraid
glenno
glenno
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Building a PI Detector - Page 2 Empty Sorry Had to Do this

Post  glenno Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 pm

This they definatly won't PASS cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lmE17Dg23w

glenno
glenno
glenno
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Tue May 10, 2011 6:48 pm

If and when a new detector arrives (no matter what name) and delivers with evidence to back it up, I will stick with my antiquated GP3000 until such time, if it backs up with evidence etc, then I will situp and take notice ...
BRING ON NEW TECHNOLOGY Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  markvd Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Good luck to you if you go ahead in your venture, and Keep me posted. For someone having a go Id be happy to help em, FOC, be it Labels, graphics or full signage for promotions, too few people try and those that do are likely to succeed. DO iT.

markvd
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post  OZDigger1 Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:43 am

Did this project develop further?

OZDigger1
New Poster
New Poster