Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a sluice and need some help ???

+5
Bushed-Tracker
monkey
artrix
mulgadansa
j123easy
9 posters

Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty Building a sluice and need some help ???

Post  j123easy Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Guys
as i don't live near any mining/prospecting shops i am building my own sluice and have some questions that you might be able to help me with

how long and wide would you recommend i make it?

also the diamond mesh that go's under the rifles what diameter should i use?

any other thoughts would be appreciated as you have used the sluice and know what works

if you have pictures that would help me pm me and i will give you an email address to send them to me

Thank you in advance

j123easy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty Re: Building a sluice and need some help ???

Post  Guest Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:52 pm

pm sent

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty Re: Building a sluice and need some help ???

Post  mulgadansa Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Gday J123
How much dirt do you want to treat in a day?
Why I ask, my mate and I built a 100 tonne a day sluice about 25 years ago. Are you after something small or large?
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:58 am

100 ton!! any pics?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty sluice size

Post  j123easy Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi Bret
I will be making one bigenough for me to shovel into
but the 100 ton would be every ones dream love to see some pics of it and hear how it worked and how much luck you had with it
James

j123easy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty Sliuce size

Post  monkey Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Hi j123
try this site they have some good plans. and heaps of help. been with this site for years
alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com/index.cgi
I have built one of my owen disigne but no pic's

Allan
monkey
monkey
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushed-Tracker Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Built a river sluice once that worked well. Basically a 5 ft length of old cable tray from the scrap yard. Then built a riffle section out of angle iron about 13mmx 13mm and made it removable. The angle iron was canted slightly in the direction of flow. Some matting underneath - suitable stuff can be got from caravan shops.

The feed end, also removable, was more cable tray, now split down the centre and a larger sheet of flat alloy was riveted in place to form a wide vee.

This was assembly and set up in a flowing creek with roughtly 13mm water flowing into the feed end. The water was accelerated down the riffle section due to the fan shape of the feed end. You could easily tack a larger mesh on the top of the feed section to exclude oversize - but just as easy to pick them off the riffles.

You need to play around with the amount of water feeding in to get a good 'riffling effect' down the sluice box - enough to shift the tailing steadily down the riffles but not too aggressive.

This would handle shovelfulls at at time and was pretty efficient. I regularly tested the tailings and only once found a trace of flour sized gold - never any gritty bits. Cost - only a few dollars for the matting the rest was scrap steel and time.

John
Bushed-Tracker
Bushed-Tracker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty i built one 30 years ago but i have forgotten most of it but ruff enough seem to work ok so long as you can rock it one handed as i used it at hoskins town near queabyan-canberra australia as there is local mines from there up to captains flat

Post  skeatesy Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 pm

i built a sluse at canberra australia as we have a lot of aluvial gold around and so long as you can rock it one handed ruff enough is good enough .i came from bendigo victoria australia and it the kingof gold fields back in the 1850's and is still producing gold and as children we would sit in the middle of the road for hours scouring over quatz for mundick as we never found any thing else but bendigo is famous for the largest gold nugget the 'welcome stranger' found at fortuna which was taken over by the army but popet heads were a childhood memory and exploring mulock heaps .
skeatesy
skeatesy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://http:sites.google.com/site/skeatesy

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty building a sluice

Post  fastgold Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 pm

suggest you make sluice 20-25% longer than normal and place v-lotted mat down over the additional length at top. See action mining re wave tables as they use this matting on them The v's allow the finer material to settle out beneath the sand size and larger particles. you mind be suprised as to the finer gold that is retained. Please let us no how it goes,fastgold

fastgold
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:23 am

Here are a few different wet sluices I've built in the early days of prospecting, when Minelab released their SD series my time is now taken up with detecting only.
The first sluice was easiest to make and worked by far the best. Recycled water with rinse aid additive and even the mustard gold was retrieved....

Building a sluice and need some help ??? F3f1927e

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Wetseparator001

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Wetseparator002

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Wetseparator003

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Wetseparator004

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Goldwheel1

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Goldwheel2

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Goldwheel3
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 am

mulgadansa wrote:Gday J123
How much dirt do you want to treat in a day?
Why I ask, my mate and I built a 100 tonne a day sluice about 25 years ago. Are you after something small or large?
cheers
Brett

Hi mulgadansa , find any pics yet ? would love to see the 100 tonner sluice , where about did you work this unit some 25yrs ago?

http://lsie.chez.com/activity.htm

http://msi-mining.com/gold/trommel/

http://engappsllc.com/index.php?pg=md2

http://www.gold-net.com.au/archivemagazines/dec99/dick2.html

cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am

Building a sluice and need some help ??? 400tperhr

used to put about 400t a day through this and the sluice was 24'' wide x20 foot long x 6'' deep with saw tooth riffles -- I have started a new thread on those

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am

j123 this is what i use today a"Banjo"

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Newbanjo010

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 am

j123 heres a link to the story of the modern banjo and a few sketches there not great drawings but if you have any questions pm me Very Happy

http://www.gold-net.com.au/archivemagazines/may02/59329034.html#3

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Murachu mate the little bloke would be hell of a lot easier to lag around these days than that big one Laughing

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice and need some help ??? Empty No Name Resources - 10 Minute Clip

Post  24kt Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:52 am

That is a big sluice

Have a lppk at this workings " No Name Resources - 10 Minute Clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_EJpUlOwk "

cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:25 am

24kt you shouldn't put up vids like that man!! Very Happy oohh i feel a trip comin onnnn! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Murachu wrote:Building a sluice and need some help ??? 400tperhr

used to put about 400t a day through this and the sluice was 24'' wide x20 foot long x 6'' deep with saw tooth riffles -- I have started a new thread on those

Hi , I reckon I have seen this sluice some where in Vic ( I actually drove past it ) but just can't place the spot, never mind someone actually put some thought in the design of this unit.

LOL Murachu , seems you have been quite in the sluicing scene? I cant wait to test run my unit still experimenting stages LOL.

Cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

good for you 24kt and that blue baby was in Avoca before we bought it and we sold it to a guy who was going to use it for washing mineral sands i think!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down