Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a sluice on the Track

3 posters

Go down

Building a sluice on the Track Empty Building a sluice on the Track

Post  david8igore Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 pm

I was doing some research on youTube, and saw this interesting clip of a fellow hiking deep in to the bush, and building a Sluce out of a tree on the track, very talented fellow :

https://youtu.be/trJghxT7ZX0
david8igore
david8igore
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-11-30

Back to top Go down

Building a sluice on the Track Empty Re: Building a sluice on the Track

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 pm

That was pretty cool! Very Happy Very Happy
Do you think we over design these days?

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  david8igore Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:24 pm

maybe, however its so much easier lifting the sluice off the roof rack, than spending 2 hours making one.. however, there is that prospect of going where no man has been for a very long time Smile
david8igore
david8igore
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 pm

You just hit the nail on the head with that statement.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 am

david8igore wrote: however, there is that prospect of going where no man has been for a very long time Smile

Smile Mate that is why our equipment is made small easy for carrying Smile
James 101
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  david8igore Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:21 pm

I hear you James, I just got a GRUB STEAK Flair Sluice, nice and small but I think I will be limited by the processing capacity, think it will be a great sample processor though.

http://www.minersden.com.au/default.asp?pageid=Products&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=724&prodid=1865&site=15

Still that being said, nothing beats making something out of nothing !!

Just hoping I can cope with the cold in ophir in two weeks time lol they've had a few sub zero days of late Smile
david8igore
david8igore
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 pm

hey david8igore
was up ophir way on the weekend mate and wasnt to bad with the cold
let us know how the sluice goes ive never been a big fan of the angus mckirk gear
cheers Dave
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 pm

david8igore wrote:I hear you James, I just got a GRUB STEAK Flair Sluice, nice and small but I think I will be limited by the processing capacity, think it will be a great sample processor though.

http://www.minersden.com.au/default.asp?pageid=Products&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=724&prodid=1865&site=15

Still that being said, nothing beats making something out of nothing !!

Just hoping I can cope with the cold in ophir in two weeks time lol they've had a few sub zero days of late Smile

Mate Angus Mckirk gear I feel is ahead of it’s time, {more so coming from America} they seem to work really well. It really dose not matter what type of gear you are running, it comes back more so to location and access as to what type of gear you can run. Mate make sure you have good quality gum boots, they can and do make all the diferance. Cheers mate have a ball on the weekend.
James 101
©️

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Now that I've watched it, I can't un-watch it Laughing

Interesting, thanks for sharing david. Although I think I would rather carry my gear in also.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  david8igore Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks James,

I'm not heading away till the following weekend, been fixing cancer in my Truck, had two rather large rust holes in the drivers foot well and the rear foot well Sad spent the last we weeks patching the holes, then Painting the underneath with Bitchumen paint so I can handle the water crossings across the creeks with out her filling up with water lol...

Going to have to make a trip to Bunnings too to get some good rubber gloves to keep my hands warm from feeding the sluice, don't have any gum boots yet, only some red backs, so think I'm going to have to invest in some good gum boots too.

Does anybody have any Tips on Sampling?, I've never really sampled before, I'm thinking of trying to collect approx 10-20 samples, of approximately half a shopping bag each then sluicing them individually to see which sites need a revisit, then detect and collect pay dirt at the good spots... this is my thinking, however I'm a bit of a novice, so any advise from any experienced guys out there would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
david8igore
david8igore
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Sampling good question everyone has their own view on this but this is how I go about it. First you must know the type of reef you are looking for. The quartz reef is what most look for, and of course do not forget that quartz can be any colour. But quartz with ironstone are the most likely to have gold, more so if it has cavities filled with a yellow brown oxide of iron. Most material from such reefs will need dollying unless the reef is what they call a specimen reef. You may collect numerous samples placed in a sand bag separate each sample by a bit of string tied at around 12 inch intervals. It is also important to record or take a GPS log on each sample site and mark it on the bag. That way if you happen across a good strike you can return to said spot.
Cheers
James 101
©
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  david8igore Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:15 pm

James ,

Do you process your samples at home, or on location? I'm looking at going for 3 days, I'm even tempted to take Monday of and stay there for 4 days.

Was thinking of sampling about 2-4 - 20cm pan's full at each location prehapse more, But I'm thinking that maybe too much for 20 samples. How big a samples do people normally take?

I'm more looking for Aluvia gold, so i can find good locations to detect also, Thinking of Old Creek beads, prehapse even current ones, that are around .5- 2km's or so to hike to. I'm sure there are many areas of Ophir that have not been flogged to death, however its just finding the time to explorer. Currently i have spent all my time detecting with no luck, so i though i would spend some quality time sampling.

As you can see from my pic, i have a go anywhere truck Wink hehe
david8igore
david8igore
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:34 pm

A few tips on sampling

Idriess

Back to top Go down

Post  david8igore Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:21 am

thanks for that,

Also found this in the forums too http://nla.gov.au/nla.oh-vn2339187 very intresting audio, track 2 (session 2) at about 18 minutes in, hey starts to talk about ophir

thank you very much for this lead Smile
david8igore
david8igore
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 am

Mate these two books will give you all the information you will need. When specking along a creek look for all the recommended traps but also look to the high water mark the benches and such. cheers

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t3941-pdf-book-the-gold-seeker-s-handbook

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t3957-pdf-book-getting-gold

cheers

Back to top Go down