Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Building a Simple Banjo

4 posters

Go down

To Building a Simple Banjo Empty To Building a Simple Banjo

Post  Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:00 pm

To Building a Simple Banjo

How to build a banjo? The first rule is to use your head in regards to making odds and ends which go tougher fit. A banjo can be as big or as small as you want or need. And a banjo can only be as good as the pump driving it. I can only give you a rough guide on how to build a banjo it will take some time to get the hang of working it. The levels are important don’t have it running to fast or you will lose gold ½ inch to the foot is the fall required or there about. How you work the banjo is by getting the fall right then shoveling the sand into the top hopper depending on how big you made the banjo you will need to pull the rocks out I do this with me shovel it saves bending your back.. a simple form of the banjo is one box on top of another.

This is what the banjo was based on, it was called a wet jigger and used back in the 1800’s there is a photo of one in a book called Gold Fossicking in Australia, and also in the 1934 miners guide put out by the NSW Mines Department which is no longer available.

For the Jetting pipes use 20 mm pipe, one 20 mm elbow one 20 mm T joint and two 20 mm end caps. For a one inch pump use 1.5 mm jet holes for a one and a half inch pump use 2 mm jetting holes.

To Building a Simple Banjo Banjo

To Building a Simple Banjo Banjo1

To Building a Simple Banjo Banjo2

To Building a Simple Banjo Banjo3

To Building a Simple Banjo Photobanjocopy

Last edited by James 101 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

To Building a Simple Banjo Empty Re: To Building a Simple Banjo

Post  kiwijw Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Now where have I seen those before???? G'day mate, hows it going??Smile

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:48 pm

How you been doing JW? Heard about your bad luck I’m thinking you should come on over to oz mate. Me well I been doing very well indeed. cheers Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  eagle653 Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Now where have I seen those before????
on the old MSN site
i was under the impression all that stuff was lost when the computer crashed, ahh well erring is human after all
great info nonetheless
Eagle 653

eagle653
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:19 pm

eagle653 wrote:Now where have I seen those before????
on the old MSN site
i was under the impression all that stuff was lost when the computer crashed, ahh well erring is human after all
great info nonetheless
Eagle 653

Very Happy yes indeed great info Very Happy

Last edited by Murachu on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Murachu wrote:

i heard it was all in Yahoo groups --taken when the AGP MSN site closed ! Very Happy yes indeed great info Very Happy

As usual Spud you are making an incorrect and unfounded statement.
NONE of the information above Is or has ever been posted on the current Alluvial group's Yahoo pages. All files that do appear on our yahoo files page have been individually sourced by myself or compiled and edited by me and one or two others.
Considering the new Alluvial group was the migration of the old msn group and not a brand new group, the fact some information was copied across to the new proboards forums is logical and simply part of the move.

Remember...The msn site did not close, it migrated over to proboards!

Cheers Ric

Back to top Go down

To Building a Simple Banjo Empty Building a Banjo

Post  charliec Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:54 pm

HI James 101 ,
Would you have any info / drawings on the bottom box - with Riffles & Matting .

Cheers Charlie C

charliec
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:03 am

Goldsubaru wrote:
Murachu wrote:

i heard it was all in Yahoo groups --taken when the AGP MSN site closed ! Very Happy yes indeed great info Very Happy

As usual Spud you are making an incorrect and unfounded statement.
NONE of the information above Is or has ever been posted on the current Alluvial group's Yahoo pages. All files that do appear on our yahoo files page have been individually sourced by myself or compiled and edited by me and one or two others and as far as I'm aware none of ### ###### files are posted on our Yahoo site.
Considering the new Alluvial group was the migration of the old msn group and not a brand new group, the fact some information was copied across to the new proboards forums is logical and simply part of the move.

Remember...The msn site did not close, it migrated over to proboards!

Cheers Ric

well who could blame me for that association --
Panning - how do you do it
Jefgold as Stevo 444 suggested go to www.alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com they are a great bunch of blokes and gals that are more than willing to help you on any question about Alluvial prospecting. You will have to join first but that is only a formality. You can get plans from the site on how to build your own highbanker and sluice plus many more interesting topics regards to prospecting. The other site that Freshwater has suggested will not be much help to you because "membership is by invitation only". were the site I have suggested you can join on your own accored and will be more helpfull.

Cheers Wombat

by Wombat
on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Search in: Panning
Topic: Panning - how do you do it
Replies: 55
Views: 3094

as I cant join AGP I have no way of agreeing to your assertion that none of my photos are in any way being used to promote the AGP--------SO as someone said "Lets Move Forward" Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Charlie mate,
I use a floor mat with a smooth bottom which cost around $10 from Home Hardware or Bunnings. And the riffles sit around ½ inch high with a small lip at the top. See photo. Also take the time and have a read of the PDF file which link is below. It will explain all. Sorry I took some time in getting back to you I had a few computer problems. Cheers
James 101 Cool

http://ygsftp.gov.yk.ca/publications/tech/analysis_sluice.pdf

To Building a Simple Banjo BanjoriffleandmattingSmall

Back to top Go down

To Building a Simple Banjo Empty RE : Building a Banjo

Post  charliec Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 am

Hi James,
Thanks for the info & pictures , I will have a go at building one .

Cheers Charlie

charliec
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 am

Charlie mate if you get stuck give us a yell more than happy to help. Check the updated plans out they seem a lot but are very simple once you start. Cheers.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t3854-updated-banjo-highbanker-plans

Back to top Go down

Post  charliec Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi James ,
Just wondering what the measurements are for the skid plate ( L.W.H ). And the aprox angle for the hoppers .

Cheers Charlie

charliec
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Charlie the rule of thumb is for the skid plate to start at the rear of the top hopper underside ending a little under 4 inches from the top hoppers outlet. The skid plat at the rear of the top hopper needs to sit around ¼ inch off the hoppers floor. And around 2 inches at the out let end of the top hopper. That angles for the top hopper is made to be adjustable this is done so you get a choice when working different kinds of material as an example if you are working clay you will run the hopper flat but increase the angle as you move into sandy type of wash. On the bottom hopper the angle is governed by the size gold you are working the smaller the gold the less angle you work at about ½ inch to the foot is not a bad start. Sorry about the old style of measurement but it is easer for me to think that way. Grin cheers

To Building a Simple Banjo 22skidplateMediumSmcopy

James 101
© J.B

Back to top Go down

Post  charliec Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi James ,
With the bottom hopper are the sides bent at 90 degree ?
And the top hopper is that about 65 degree ?

Cheers Charlie

charliec
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:56 am

Thats about right mate but on the top hopper I would give it around 75 to 80 degree bend.
cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:30 am

Bump up.

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Guest wrote:Bump up.

Hi to the guest who bumped this post.

This was a fly in fly out mission??? James or Maruchu, if it was you? you guys have left a VOID of information since you left.
It would be good to have you back on board.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am

rc62burke wrote:
Guest wrote:Bump up.

Hi to the guest who bumped this post.

This was a fly in fly out mission??? James or Maruchu, if it was you? you guys have left a VOID of information since you left.
It would be good to have you back on board.

Hi Rc62burke mate did you finish your H/banker if so how is it going for you would like to see some photos of it. cheers mate

the original James 101

Last edited by Whiskers on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down