Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gpx 4500 - problem with mono coil please help

4 posters

Go down

gpx 4500 - problem with mono coil please help Empty gpx 4500 - problem with mono coil please help

Post  PeterT Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:51 pm

G'day all

Myself and my dad are new to prospecting, we've been at it for sometime even though we haven’t found any gold yet, we've found everything else =D we quite enjoy it and won’t be giving up.

The detector we're using is a 4500.

The problem we're having is with the 14" Elliptical mono Advantage not detecting an ingot gold coin i use to test with. The DD picks it up no problem.

I've tried to be lucky with these settings suggested here, they are:

Front end:
Search mode: Deep
Timing: Enhance
Ground balance: fixed
Threshold set to around 1/2 o’clock

Rear menu:
GB type: General
Motion med
RX: 11
Audio: quiet
Tone: 49
Stabilizer: 11
Signal: 16
Target V: 12 with headphones
Response inv
Iron reject: 0
Tune: 95 also have tried auto tune

With the above settings, there’s an audible threshold hum, but when sweeping over the coin i get nothing, not even with a nail.

But if i change the search mode to G and soil timings to N where it does pickup the coin it goes berserke from ground noise i believe (have tried on many grounds with the same result, could i be that unlucky?) It’s all peaceful with the above settings, just no target signal? We've been in deep bush so doubt it could be anyother kind of interference, but i could be wrong, but so consistently though?

I’m so confused, can someone help me please?

Thanks.

PeterT
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-27

Back to top Go down

gpx 4500 - problem with mono coil please help Empty Re: gpx 4500 - problem with mono coil please help

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:12 pm

G'day PeterT, With what you have described I would say that the mono coil is faulty, it doesn't matter how dumb you make your 4500 it will pick it up and you will hear a response.
Have you got access to another mono coil??
or if you know someone with another 4500 try that coil on thier machine. If a dealer lives close they may be able to help you out with some simple quick tests.
Probably more importantly did you buy your coil new?
Sorry that's not much help, but I would be contacting my nearest dealer for advise.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

gpx 4500 - problem with mono coil please help Empty Re: gpx 4500 - problem with mono coil please help

Post  Guest Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Should go berserk in Cancel however Check the Coil/Rx selected to Mono..

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks GoldstalkerGPX and ARARAT.

I did buy the coil new from Minelabs at Whitehorse rd in Vic and it is switched to mono on the front panel.

The reason I mentioned cancel mode is because the coil would then detect metal above ground but if otherwise set in the settings I previously posted there wouldn't even be a whisper.

For some time I’ve had this coil I’ve suspected it may be faulty. Being a novice prospector i wasn’t sure. What GoldstalkerGPX said makes me somewhat happier it isn’t the detector and mono mode itself, i hope. I'll see what i can do to resolve my issue. If anyone else as any ideas what may be happening here I’ll be much appreciated. Thanks again.

PeterT
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi PeterT, with those settings you have on your 4500 that coin should be screaming out , as mentioned - swap the coil with another mono & try ,
narrowing it down to either the coil or the 4500... lets hope its the coil
good luck with it
cheers gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Peter,

If you live close I would happy to bring over a mono for ya to try..

I'm in Ashburton..

Regards
A

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks guys. ARARAT i live in Melton, quite far, i appreciate your kindness.

One thing i forgot to mention is there's no problem switching to mono using the dd coil the detector comes with.

Next time i head out to Castlemaine, i'll drop in at Coiltek Gold Centre Maryborough and see what can be done, sure they'll be happy to help.

Cheers.

PeterT
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Just got back from coiltek gold centre in maryborough. They tested the coil and it is faulty, thank god for that. I bought a coiltek nugget stalker they tested with and all is working well. Cheers everyone.

I highly recommend them. nice helpful people Wink

PeterT
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:24 pm

PeterT wrote:Just got back from coiltek gold centre in maryborough. They tested the coil and it is faulty, thank god for that. I bought a coiltek nugget stalker they tested with and all is working well. Cheers everyone.

A good report of service from any dealer is helpful to all of us
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  silwane Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 pm

HI there Peter,

I'm in Hillside and out Castlemaine a bit. I would be glad to let you try 1 of my mono's on your 4500 as its the same as what I'm running too. But unfortunately I'm off overseas in 2 days for the next week or so. So in the meantime if you don't get things sorted out by the store or some one else I would be glad to meet up out in the sticks to try it out.

Cheers,
Paul
silwane
silwane
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 pm

PeterT wrote:Just got back from coiltek gold centre in maryborough. They tested the coil and it is faulty, thank god for that. I bought a coiltek nugget stalker they tested with and all is working well. Cheers everyone.

I've only just read this now, thanks for the feedback. Good customer relations is more than half the battle ay!
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down