Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coil/rx setting DD or Mono when using a Mono Coil

4 posters

Go down

Coil/rx setting DD or Mono when using a Mono Coil Empty Coil/rx setting DD or Mono when using a Mono Coil

Post  nuggets Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:36 am

Hi All,

I have a question about the 4500 settings. On my last trip I was using the coil/rx setting in Mono when using a Mono coil and have read that many users use the coil/rx setting as DD when using a Mono coil. Can anyone explain why you would use the DD setting while using a Mono coil and does it impact the performance if you use the Mono setting when using a Mono coil.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Coil/rx setting DD or Mono when using a Mono Coil Empty Re: Coil/rx setting DD or Mono when using a Mono Coil

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:29 pm

you shouldn't run a mono in dd setting. you should run a mono in mono . i don't know why people would run them in the wrong settings they would be missing so many targets. i have a gpx 4000 with an 8" mono and i run it in it right setting and i pick up .1 grams at 8 to 10" deep. run it the coils the way it should be.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Coil/rx setting DD or Mono when using a Mono Coil Empty Re: Coil/rx setting DD or Mono when using a Mono Coil

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Howdy nuggets,

Are you sure your not mistaken?
People will use a dd coil in mono mode setting....sometimes.
For best results use a dd coil in dd setting & mono coil in mono setting.

As far as I know, the discrimination function which I think most people don't use only works with a dd coil in dd coil mode. You might get some people trying to do this with a mono coil though....(i think it was JP who said it doesn't work?)

Are they finding lots or any gold nuggets?

Cheers, Ferris.

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Ferris,

Not long after purchaseing my 4500 I was searching for all the info I could on the best settings for the 4500 and was advised by more than one experienced user of the 4500 on specific recommended settings for the 4500 and it was recommended that the Coil/rx setting while using a Monoloop coil be in the DD setting. I am sure there may be varying opinions on this depending on things like the location in which it is being used. I purchased an info package on the best setting for the 4500 offered by an experienced user and this setting was recommended. When I read this recommendation it did seem to me to be unusual.

As to whether or not they are finding lots of gold I don't know but I am sure they are finding more than me.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 pm

i would just run them the way the should...the only way to try it is find a target and try both to see what happens. jp did say not to do it on the dvd xfactor. ...run the detector the way it should i think
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Stoppsy,

I think you are probably right there. I am still getting to know the machine and have used the mono coil/rx setting when using a mono coil on my last trip. Didn't find any gold but did find plenty of other targets and some at much deeper depths than I was previously finding using the standard 11'DD coil on the factory preset settings which is all I had tried prior to this trip. As you say I will keep experimenting and find out what works best.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:12 pm

just get some off the people on the forum to post some settings up that work for them and the best thing i had done was had a chat with jp, he helped me out big time...have you got jp's dvd for the gpx 4500? worth getting his dvds they help alot as well....just keep playing around with the settings you'll get what your after.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Discrimination only works with a DD coil and in DD.
Running a DD coil with mono on the front cap makes the coil a sudo mono (from what was told to me).A slight increase in depth and signal response im lead to believe over a DD coil in DD.
Running a mono coil with DD on the front end cap help reduce some noise from noisy grd/days as for depth unknown but not fussed as i can still use the detector in b$tch conditions.

Nuggets
To me there is 3 main functions that need to be played with one is the gain, second is target volume and then stabilizer.
Motion is always set in slow and audio is switched from normal to boost (subject to how noisy the detector becomes in boost), i only go to very slow if the grd is noisy or atmospherics are playing up and absolute last option is audio in quiet.
There is no guaranteed settings its something you have to experiment with, hooking up with some seasoned operators is always a good option and hopefully will set you on the right path.
Start out by dumbing the 4500 down and then increase settings as you go, by starting out with everything turned right up (like most do)will disappoint you.
The 4500 is a good detector but it wont lead you to gold but will let you know if you walk over some (hopefully Smile ).
Regards
John
PS when ever increasing the target volume or decreasing make sure you adjust the threshold as it does change as you will notice.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:36 pm

freshwater wrote:Running a mono coil with DD on the front end can help reduce some noise from noisy grd/days as for depth unknown but not fussed as i can still use the detector in b$tch conditions.
Regards
John

well there you go, you learn something new everyday.
But from what freshwater says, you would only want to do it occaisionaly.
I still think, if the ground is too noisy, you would want to use a dd coil in dd mode....after all, that is what it is designed for.
but we do get lazy sometimes and a flick of a switch is easier and less time consuming than changing a coil !!!

cheers, ferris.

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Freshwater hit it on the head cheers

I used to always run my mono's in the DD setting as advised by some well known prospectors. (not sure if on the forum or not)
Recently on a trip to Talbot I was given some very helpful advice by a seasoned operator (THANKS) now I run my mono's in the mono setting unless as described in above posts that you are having a bad interferrence day.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 am

G'Day Nuggets,
I've often wondered this also. I've found that my 4500 ran much quieter with a mono coil when the Rx/Coil switch was set to mono, and nosier when set to DD, but JP has always preferred and recommended running a mono coil in DD mode. JP in fact has gone into detail about this on the 4500 DVDs, but it all left me a bit confused.

However, one of the principal Minelab design Engineers said this "A mono coil with the Coil switch set to Double-D is the more pure form of connection, with minimal processing" So when we select Mono with a mono coil, we may be, in certain situations, causing a very small loss in sensitivity. But we also cause a similar reduction when we reduce the Stabilizer, it's just at the opposite end of the signal path, we do it to achieve a measure of what the 5000 does inherently.

The manual recommends one way, but in some situations it will pay to use alternate settings, JP knows when to apply this intuitively, experience will dictate to you also, the slightest edge at the right time sometimes results in a chunk in the hand, and a beaming smile on the dial.

Cheers
Grey.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Grey mentions loosing a tiny bit of sensitivity when switching from DD to mono on the front end cap, which is exactly what i have found when using a mono coil in mono RX, by running my mono in mono mode, hot rocks are also reduced as well as EMI.
There is also a deep filter at work when using a mono in mono mode via the RX switch, JP can elaborate some more as im unable to find the post to my questioning him about this some time back on another forum.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Howdy Narrawa,

I am planning on giving it another go this weekend if all goes to plan. Looking forward to seeing that gleam of gold.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 pm

good luck nuggets hope you find a good one...find a good target and have a play around with the settings befor you dig it. i took some off my gold out a put it into the ground and cover it over and worked out witch settings picked it up the best. take a pen and a pad out a write down the settings you are trying so you can go back to them...i wont be heading out until bathurst is over.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Will do Stoppsy. If I have any luck I will see if I can figure out how to post a photo.

Cheers
Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:51 pm

can help with that if you need me to...

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Howdy all,

Recently picked up my first little piece. It's a bloody tiny little bit attached to a piece of quartz. I was so surprised to see the glint of gold after digging so much trash I was a bit rough with it and broke a tiny piece off it as I was cleaning it up. My first impression after picking it up and seeing a bit of gold was that the whole thing was gold but it turned out to be mostly quartz with a bit of gold fairly loosely attached just holding on to the quartz. Oh well needless to say I'm hooked.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:32 pm

good stuff nuggets keep it up
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Well done Nuggets cheers Did you try any different setting on this target before you dug it up, or like mostly done, just dig it up and then think, I wish I had tried this or that.

BTW running a mono coil in either MONO or DD on the front cap will not have a noticable difference to the casual user.

It is mainly for running a DD coil and being able to change the DD coil to a pesudo mono coil, by setting the switch to mono on the front cap, which is basicly turning a full size DD coil into a eliptical shaped mono coil, being that the left hand side of the coil now does most of the work.

The main thing to remember is never run a MONO coil in cancel mode as you will loose about 95% or more of the signal response.......where as you can run a DD in cancel mode to get rid of interference from power lines etc.

Congrats Nuggets once again on you find and may there be more to come.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Dave,

I invested in a dedicated mono coil 11" Commander Mono. Prior to this I was only using the stock 11" DD. I can't remember all the settings but I was using enhance and adjusting the gain, stabiliser and target volume a bit. My rx/coil setting was Mono using the mono coil. Something I am going to do regularly now is bury one of the many BB's I have found prior to starting and try tuning the 4500 to that as best I can before detecting. On that day I found adjusting the manual tuning a bit after doing the auto tune was helping to quieten the machine a bit.

I am hoping to improve my stats. I reckon I dug at least 400 targets to get that first piece. So my advice may not be the best to follow.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 pm

nuggets wrote:Oh well needless to say I'm hooked. Nuggets

G'day Nuggets,

Welcome to the brotherhood >>>> you will never be the same again cheers

Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 am

Hi all,

Just got back from another short trip over the weekend. After wearing the fingers out of my gloves scraping the crap out of the bottom of dig holes over a few days I managed another two small pieces totalling 0.6grams for both pieces. I really was amazed to see the tiny glint of gold through dirt after digging so much rubbish. It truly is a magical thing to see. I wish I could have stayed longer but had to get back to work.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:39 am

well done nuggets, nothing like finding gold it's the best feeling....
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks Mate, I am already thinking about my next trip

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:57 am

you have the gold bug now.

Back to top Go down