Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mods for the GP's?

Go down

Mods for the GP's? Empty Mods for the GP's?

Post  Beer Beeper Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:46 pm

I have a GP 3000 so I am interested. Reading the web sites, it makes it sound like the Mods are the best thing since sliced bread. I do not have money to burn. If they are good, do give him business and credit for sure but are these Mods genuine and the real deal(or not or you don't really know) because I don't know? What is the truth about these Mods!??

http://tinyurl.com/de62va
"This is for a Mod to a GP-3000 or Extreme Minelab Gold Detector. This mod changes the Timing in Sensitive Deep mode and will give outstanding depth improvement. This mod changes the parameters set in the internal Eprom inside the detector."

This is a must have modification as the performance increase is truly outstanding."

"There is NO detector available that can beat the depth on the modded detector!"

Q: As an other person asked before , what's the percentage in depth gain with the mods ? Thanks 14-Feb-09
A: How does up to 4 inches on a 1.5 gram Nugget sound? This mod is truly outstanding.

http://detectormods.com/
"New Mods for the GP Extreme and GP-3000 as
of Feb 2009. Huge depth increase on all sized Gold, Stabilizes the detector in noisy ground.
Give a much clearer signal on all Gold sizes
and at all Depths. Guaranteed! You probably
will not hear much about our modded detectors from other prospectors. It most likely that they
are cleaning up before the word gets out."

GP-3000 GP Extreme GP-3500
Variable Coil Dampening Mod, Front End Receive bypassing Mod, Extra Gain Mod, Filtering Mod for less noise. Power output Mod for greater depth, Deep Medium and Sensitive Mod. We have a new timing mod that will blow a GPX-4000 out of the competition. A Fully modded GP or Extreme will beat a GPX-4500 in a lot of situations.
The Prices for the Extreme/GP series starts at $300 and goes to $600

The Modification list is growing all the time so check back to see what is new. If you want your detector modded you can post it to Link Technologies. 15 Liddesdale Avenue Frankston Victoria Australia Zip 3199. If you have any questions you can email me at vk3kcg(@)amsat.org or Phone me 61-03-90175549.

Be Aware that my Wife also lists lots of stuff on my shop.
http://tinyurl.com/de62va

Last edited by Beer Beeper on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Mods for the GP's? Empty Re: Mods for the GP's?

Post  Guest Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi, I also would like to know more about these mods too

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Beep Beeper, it is no coincidence that these mods appear now. The EEPROM mod and others were discovered back in the days of the 2200 but has been kept a secret for at least 5 years or more that I know of. Never mind these guys, they like to have their fun with us "modders" but to be honest woody left himself wide open to it by coming up with "a mod every second day" which didn't really give any meaningful gains.

Nowadays he has got his act together and does a few more tests before announcing it. There are a few mods that can be done to the GP Series purely because ML did their future research and carefully left certain features off each detector for marketing. The major example that I can attest to is electronically there is no difference between a 3000 (or extreme) and a 3500. All ML have done is made the differences that are obvious and all are controlled by the firmware in the MCU. The 3 GP detectors have EXACTLY the same timings for Sensitive, Normal and Salt (and the hidden ones) and use the same components and filtering in the first few stages. I am not saying that they perform the same as I explained above the MCU does a lot of processing of the data and that has given the differences such as how much quieter the 3500 is. If you look at the 3 detectors all have the same wiring facilities but they are not utilised on the first 2 GP's.

Providing the mods are performed with the ability to switch them back to standard then you really have nothing to lose except $$ your detector should perform as normal with them switched off. I personally would not have even my own detector (3500 and 2200 which are modded) without that ability. To see what the mods do and what gains you can expect check my site. These mods are the same as what is offered elsewhere.

Hope this helps you.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:58 pm

If the mod is that good then there should be a flood of GPX4000 and GPX4500 on the market and a stamped to buy gp extreems and gp3000's to have the mod done. I dont see that happening!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:46 am

"Hello Ismael .
Have been reading your words for some time now. Here and in other places.
Your honest open approach to the mod thing backed up by your forthright
guarantee is fair enough." by groundrush

"Ismael, you are highly respected and regarded for the work you have done over the years, no one can take that away from you.

You have always been forward with your mods and have NEVER claimed anything you have not been able to prove.......UNLIKE others who are trying to cash in on work that is to say the least DODGEY and unproven." by Scrape

"I can understand people getting mods done to the 2000 but I don't know why anyone would want to mod one of these GP's, they do a pretty good job off the shelf.
But If you must get any mods, get Ismael to do them, at least he will give back up If you have a problem." by Inhere

Some good comments on Ismaels work above and a letter by Ismael below. All from Finders Forum under the post "Hey mabs, want to buy a woody burger?" Hope this helps someone somehow.

Hi Scrape and all, FYI my detector is a 3500 and as far as it goes the mods are completely coil independent, in other words works the same regardless of DD/Mono. As for service or warranty there is none from ML, all these detectors ran out of warranty years ago. I have been modding 2000 for over 8 years now and ML only ever took out the GPM mod when it was a problem in the receive circuitry and as far as I know never ever took out the 4 position mods at all. They left all the GPM components in the detector for me to reconnect and generally told me that they don't have the time to set it up again or reinstall the mods.

If your detector ever required servicing then I would do that before you had it modded just to save time. On the other hand I wouldn't even mod a detector that had some sort of issue before ML had looked and fixed it. My warranty on any detector I mod is that I guarantee it will work better than before. As for a time period for repairs to mods or accessories that I do, there isn't one. That's why I have a good reputation. I have fixed things on detectors and regulators for free that were the owners fault after years of first selling them, something I don't believe any other company does. I get to know my clients and treat them as mates, after all we are all prospectors and become a family of sorts. I don't get rich or even sustain a living from doing mods I like to do them to help those of us that can't afford to go to the latest greatest detector.

I myself took around 6 years before I even bothered to look at getting a GP and was and are still happy with a modified SD2000. I bought my 3500 because I knew I could make it a little bit better from the info I already had on them and was hopeful that it would be better than a 2000. So far tests I have done with the 2000 and 3500 do not show that but the 3500 definitely runs quieter and is nicer to use. If I found a patch (doubtful) that I thought had large deep nuggets I would get myself a 2000 and get those out of range of my 3500. Until that happens Shocked so long as I feel the 3500 is working as good as my 2000 I will use it.

Anyway I just wanted to clear that up and point out that if you can't get a guarantee from anyone modding your detector then DON'T do it. ML will still charge the same regardless of whether a detector is modded or not so it is not an issue. I always leave any components that have been removed or replaced in the detector taped to the PCB's so that ML or myself can put them back if the need arises.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:57 pm
Mabouya, It is pretty hard to substantiate claims with any mods mainly because the mods may well perform as stated on the test nugget but all things being equal no 2 nuggets are the same. Another anomaly is that some detectors are just that much better performers than others of the same series. There are far too many variables to go into but with any mod some targets will increase while others may not and even may well disappear. That is why reverting to standard is a must. Another thing with your post is that upping the voltage on a GP will never increase depth as the transmit is regulated so it will always be the same, however having said that the receive audio circuit can "lift" a little with the higher voltage. A regulated system is definitely the only way to go though as it will give a constant voltage all day and is far superior to a standard battery system. Amplifiers like the B&Z are also a benefit in most cases as again the lift and in some cases smooth out the audio output.

Getting back to claims of extra depth increases it is all relative to how long is your 4 inches and how long is theirs? Rolling Eyes I do know for a fact that the extra timing mod does give an increase on depth but to what extent and over what range of nuggets is still to be seen. Although it seems to be excellent over a full range of targets it is like the claims of the GPX series, so far no GP or GPX has found a nugget of extreme size deeper than an SD detector that has been publicly released or claimed. They do however seem extremely good on the small sh1t that dominates our fields nowadays.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down