Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX5000 vs GPX4500

+6
xenon
nfinder
Jonathan Porter
nero_design
Flakmagnet
Tributer
10 posters

Go down

GPX5000 vs GPX4500 Empty GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:43 am

Hello all,

Was just flicking through the net and found this comment.

Side by side testing has shown that the GPX5000 will not go as Deep on large gold as the GPX4500.
This not a fault in the GPX5000, the 5000 is made to get smaller Gold in heavy Mineralized Ground.

Is this correct...... What a Face

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 vs GPX4500 Empty Re: GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Post  Tributer Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Brookesy888 you might get people strongly defending both positions.

I have heard of all kinds of things from people i trust mostly, strange signal responses from the 5000, the 4500 going deeper on test patches, the 5000 doing very well on very small gold a few inches down, and this mixed in with big differences in performances between different coils that are the same model.

I have a 4500 and after seeing some friends with the 5000 i am not going to upgrade and get rid of my 4500. But that is a personal choice.

Bottom line is they are both very very good and can both find deep gold with the right settings and coil for the situation. If any members are in the market for a detector and can afford a 5000 and you detect seriously, get a 5000.
They are both excellent machines however its your skill, ground coverage efficiency, research, time swinging and where you choose to detect that are the success factors from now on. .
Tributer

Last edited by Tributer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammer change)
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 pm

brookesy888,

It would be interesting to know where (what site),
you saw that quote on.

All the best,

Flak
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Guest wrote:Hello all,

Side by side testing has shown that the GPX5000 will not go as Deep on large gold as the GPX4500.
This not a fault in the GPX5000, the 5000 is made to get smaller Gold in heavy Mineralized Ground.

Is this correct......

The statement is entirely false. The GPX-5000 will go to the same depth as the 4500 and may even be able to respond to deeper targets with the appropriate setup on the more recent machine. But the GPX-5000 is said to be capable of finding the smaller gold at greater depth than previous detectors can. Possibly because the 5000 is a quieter machine with heightened sensitivity, it will respond to targets (deep and shallow) that the others may have missed. Either way, the vast number of users have shown by their own experiences that this indeed appears to be the case with plenty of gold being won from previously well-detected areas that even professionals thought were "hunted out". There's no evidence that I have seen (or even heard of) that would suggest the 5000 has less depth on large gold than the 4500.

As brookesy888 has already requested: Where exactly did you come across this comment?
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:07 pm

nero_design wrote:
Guest wrote:Hello all,

Is this correct......

The statement is entirely false. The GPX-5000 will go to the same depth as the 4500 and may even be able to respond to deeper targets with the appropriate setup on the more recent machine. But the GPX-5000 is said to be capable of finding the smaller gold at greater depth than previous detectors can. Possibly because the 5000 is a quieter machine with heightened sensitivity, it will respond to targets (deep and shallow) that the others may have missed. Either way, the vast number of users have shown by their own experiences that this indeed appears to be the case with plenty of gold being won from previously well-detected areas that even professionals thought were "hunted out". There's no evidence that I have seen (or even heard of) that would suggest the 5000 has less depth on large gold than the 4500.

As brookesy888 has already requested: Where exactly did you come across this comment?

Yeehaa, Marco and I finally agree on something!! lol!

Thing about the 5000 is this, it goes just as deep as any GP series detector BUT it does it in a much quieter manner which means the targets are more obvious compared to background signals created by ground, EMI or the electronics. Precision is the word that springs to mind when I think of the GPX 5000.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  nfinder Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I saw the below on ebay today.
The seller info was metaldetector(2175), Frankston SE Vic. See in the detail below it states Link Technologies.
What the? Is there any truth to the statement re side by side testing - Minelab please explain.
Thanks
NFinder

1 X Full upgrade to Minelab GPX 5000 Metal detector that you already own.

Minelab manufacture the best Gold Detectors Available, professional prospectors use Minelab.
We do not upgrade other makes as they will not be as good as a Minelab.
This has been proven many times in testing.

Our Upgrades give you the the best traits of both the 4500 and 5000.
Part of this upgrade is to increase the Depth and sensitivity to Large Gold Nuggets.
We here at Link Technologies can customize your Detector to your exact specifications.

These are the newest upgrades available for these detectors.

Less interference

Deeper and more stable

Better Ground Balancing

3 Different modes for Enhance, Sensitive , General and Large Gold

3 different modes for Normal, Sensitive General and Deep.

5 year warranty on all work.

For more information on our upgrades read Gold Gem and Treasure article by Jack Lange.

Or check out the website
http://detectormods.com

We have carried out hundreds of upgrades, extra performance is Guaranteed.

nfinder
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:01 pm

nfinder wrote:I saw the below on ebay today.
The seller info was metaldetector(2175), Frankston SE Vic. See in the detail below it states Link Technologies.
What the? Is there any truth to the statement re side by side testing - Minelab please explain.
Thanks
NFinder

1 X Full upgrade to Minelab GPX 5000 Metal detector that you already own.

Minelab manufacture the best Gold Detectors Available, professional prospectors use Minelab.
We do not upgrade other makes as they will not be as good as a Minelab.
This has been proven many times in testing.

Our Upgrades give you the the best traits of both the 4500 and 5000.
Part of this upgrade is to increase the Depth and sensitivity to Large Gold Nuggets.
We here at Link Technologies can customize your Detector to your exact specifications.

These are the newest upgrades available for these detectors.

Less interference

Deeper and more stable

Better Ground Balancing

3 Different modes for Enhance, Sensitive , General and Large Gold

3 different modes for Normal, Sensitive General and Deep.

5 year warranty on all work.

For more information on our upgrades read Gold Gem and Treasure article by Jack Lange.

Or check out the website
http://detectormods.com

We have carried out hundreds of upgrades, extra performance is Guaranteed.

no thats just woody trying to rip people off as usaul

Back to top Go down

Post  nfinder Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 pm

I question why would they make such statements if they were not confident in backing them up.
Do they know something the dealers and minelab wont come out and say?
Im trying to weigh up all the info I have, 1) my experiences with my 5000, 2) the feedback from others I know using 5000's and those that have reverted back to 4500's 3) the fact it does not seem to play well with other coils (particularly large coils), 3) that Ian from Minelab will be in Kalgoorlie later this month for a forum with users, 4) Detectormods with testing that shows it wont go as deep as the 4500 and a mod to fix it.
What's this all mean - I wish Minelab would come out and put the concerns to rest.
Thanks
NFinder

nfinder
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes, found that comment on Ebay too.

Now whether that is a false statement or true dtatement begs to be answered.
Are you saying Woody rips people off with his mods???????? That sounds a bit harsh .
Am yet to see a NEUTRAL test between these 2 machines, but would very much like to see one or two if anyone has a link to these tests I would like to see tham.
Yes, would be nice if ML came out with a comment but as we all know, they always remain very tight lipped
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 pm

The question about mods is simple, no one except for Minelab have the schematic for their detectors and as such for anyone to mess around with them is akin to poking around blindfolded in the dark looking for a land mine. Exclamation

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 vs GPX4500 Empty Mods

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:57 pm

I am new here and have not made many posts I am still appoligising for one post.

But I have to say what is the issue with aftermarket mods to a minelab detector you buy the base model and if your not happy you get extra parts to get it to perform better isnt that how it works. I bought a fully modded GP Extreme havent used it yet no time and I also have a GPX4500 that performs well out in the field. The only reason I bought the 4500 is because of the SETA PROJECT I watched the DVD and deemed this detector to be the best so I bought it. With the extreme we,ll see how it goes out there if it finds gold I will be happy.

I must of missed something because apparently I have something to do with pennyweight as I said in another thread whooooooooooooooo isssssssssssss pennyweight. confused

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

modernprospector wrote:

I must of missed something because apparently I have something to do with pennyweight as I said in another thread whooooooooooooooo isssssssssssss pennyweight. confused

go and read the bloody thing again.......i said if i wanted to see a modded detector on film i would call pennyweight...

WHERE DID I SAY YOU HAD ANY THING TO DO WITH HIM?.....

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 vs GPX4500 Empty Modern Day Prospector

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Sorry mate my shout again No

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Let's all put brain in gear before engaging mouth. At least read a post twice before responding.

Robert

Back to top Go down

GPX5000 vs GPX4500 Empty 4500 vs 5000

Post  harrysheroes Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi all,

I have just traded my fantastic 4500 which i have used to find over 16 ounces of gold in the 2 years i owned it , We detect every 6 day break we have off and have detected over our known gold spots many times.
This 6 day break with my new 5000 using the 11" mine lab mono coil as my 12" nugget finder died i have found 18 nuggets in very worked ground.
I think that the more i get to understand my new toy the better i will get with it. I had my gain running at between 13 -15 in fine gold and
the machine was very quiet and stable.
While my 4500 was a great machine the 5000 is a deffinate step up and after only a short time i have no regrets about upgrading through Reeds.

Cheers to you all

Marty
harrysheroes
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Guest wrote:I am new here and have not made many posts I am still appoligising for one post.

But I have to say what is the issue with aftermarket mods to a minelab detector you buy the base model and if your not happy you get extra parts to get it to perform better isnt that how it works.

I use to think like this too. I had a modden GP Extreme. not going to bad mouth the mods as the machine ran stable and smooth. but when it comes time to upgrade or trade in the modded machine, quite frankly, you can't. If something does go wrong Minelab won't touch it, so the reselers are reluctant to stock the modded machines as they are required to give a warranty with the product.

I learnt this directly from people in the business when i asked if i could trade in my own Extreme. I sold it separately, then paid the extra for the 5000.

I will say that my extreme side by side to a 5000 on a real undug gold target (1g @ 5inches) did sound the same. But the ability of the 5000 to run as stable as it did resulted in me finding a 1.8g nugget at 10 inches using the 11" commander mono coil. On an area a hell of a lot of detectors have been over.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  the speciman Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:49 pm

GDAY ALL
interesting topic i know the 5000 picks up the crums others have missed on well worked areas but go deeper on bigger gold than a 4500 dont know????? depends on how you set up your machines and wot coil you use and the emi on the day and the mineralization in the area etc etc etc
good scratchin
cheers the speciman

(ps im not upgrading any time soon ill stick to my 45 and 35 )

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  harrysheroes Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Just like to add some more to this topic , I have had my 5000 for about 3 months now and had always operated it in a similair way to my trusty 4500 until today,

I ramped up the gain to 19 and moved very slowly across a well worn patch we have been to many times the results 14 nuggets at 17grams at good depth
the 4500 is an awesome machine but when used correctly the 5000 is in a league of its own.
happy detecting to all
Marty
harrysheroes
harrysheroes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Acan Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 am

Grab a copy of the new JP discs re the new 5000.

This will help with the decision. You can make your own mind up.

Acan jocolor

Acan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-05-17

Back to top Go down