Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Older gpx4500 versus newer version gpx4500

+4
Jonathan Porter
boobook
Harb
ozgold 041
8 posters

Go down

Older gpx4500 versus newer version gpx4500 Empty Older gpx4500 versus newer version gpx4500

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:36 am

Some time back I was looking at replacing my trusty old gpx4500 with a new release one, I left it alone for awhile as I was unsure about whether or not there are differences between the older version and the new release one, as there are many comments on other forums about what people have experienced with both versions, it seems that there are some real differences in the two but no real clear indication of the extent as some people have commented that they believe the newer 4500 has very little difference to the 5000 and may contain the same electronics now.

The comments that made me think were that some were saying that the newer 45 will ground balance quicker and will run a bit more smoothly than the old ones, and they are pretty hot on small gold and better than the early 45, but they felt that the earlier 45 was much better at larger targets at depth, personally I have found my 45 to be excellent on small gold and often picking up the sorts of pieces that I also get with the sdc2300, and I have found some very deep solid pieces and large specimens with it so it seems to do both pretty well.

Its only that my 4500 is some 10 years old and had a few trips to the doctor that I was thinking of upgrading, but it seems that keeping it and buying another new one might be the better option and then maybe I can try them side by side and see for myself.

Anybody care to comment on there experiences with the 4500

cheers

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Older gpx4500 versus newer version gpx4500 Empty Re: Older gpx4500 versus newer version gpx4500

Post  ozgold 041 Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:43 am

au-fever wrote:Some time back I was looking at replacing my trusty old gpx4500 with a new release one, I left it alone for awhile as I was unsure about whether or not there are differences between the older version and the new release one, as there are many comments on other forums about what people have experienced with both versions, it seems that there are some real differences in the two but no real clear indication of the extent as some people have commented that they believe the newer 4500 has very little difference to the 5000 and may contain the same electronics now.

The comments that made me think were that some were saying that the newer 45 will ground balance quicker and will run a bit more smoothly  than the old ones, and they are pretty hot on small gold and better than the early 45, but they felt that the earlier 45 was much better at larger targets at depth, personally I have found my 45 to be excellent on small gold and often picking up the sorts of pieces that I also get with the sdc2300, and I have found some very deep solid pieces and large specimens with it so it seems to do both pretty well.

Its only that my 4500 is some 10 years old and had a few trips to the doctor that I was thinking of upgrading, but it seems that keeping it and buying another new one might be the better option and then maybe I can try them side by side and see for myself.

cheers

au-fever

===================================================================================

Hello au-fever

Here is what I posted in another section of the forum late last year.

My mates and I have put this comparison to the test, pitting one of the last of the older 4500’s against the newly released 4500.

Some think, they are exactly the same but that is not quite so. In our exhaustive in-ground testing, we have found a number of things that differ.

Firstly the Ground balance on the new release 45, mimics the GPX 5000; it is a lot quicker to G/B than the old 4500, and is a fair bit quieter over hot changeable ground too.

When testing the 2 of them over gold in the ground; the new 45 literally cleaned up the old one on the tiny and smaller nuggets at fairly shallow depths, but when the nuggets were bigger and down deeper, the old 4500 showed its stuff, pulling away by quite some margin.

The general consensus was that the newer 4500, is just like, or maybe is the 5000 without the Fine-Gold timing activated and almost a dead ringer in most ways. I like many others have had a GPX5000, this was for over 12 months, and eventually I went back to the older 4500’s.

We like them for their raw power on the big gold at depth in hot ground, sure they are a little noisy at times, but if you can put up with that, you should do very well.

Cheers and good luck .

Ozgold.

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

Older gpx4500 versus newer version gpx4500 Empty Re: Older gpx4500 versus newer version gpx4500

Post  Harb Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am

How can you tell which one you have ?
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ozgold 041 Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:00 am

Harb wrote:How can you tell which one you have ?

===================================================================

Hi Harb.

If it looks brand new it most likely is the later model.

But to be sure, the serial numbers on the box run past M/Lab Codan, should verify this.

Cheers ozgold

ozgold 041
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:30 pm

ozgold 041 wrote:
Harb wrote:How can you tell which one you have ?

===================================================================

Hi Harb.        

If it looks brand new it most likely is the later model.

But to be sure, the serial numbers on the box run past M/Lab Codan, should verify this.

Cheers ozgold

Yeah I brought 2 of them back when that crazy gold rush was on oversea's.........I sold the 2 extra coils for a bit more than I paid for the whole lot, and later replaced them for a few hundred bucks ! ......they both still look as good as the day I brought them......would have been around 2010
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:06 pm

I have asked the same question to two owners of the "new release" 4500. The comment was "don't really know"
Asked Minelab, and one would have more chance in squeezing gold out of a "hot rock" than a definitive answer.
They have well mastered the John Howard line of question response. Rolling Eyes
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:40 pm

ozgold 041 wrote:
au-fever wrote:Some time back I was looking at replacing my trusty old gpx4500 with a new release one, I left it alone for awhile as I was unsure about whether or not there are differences between the older version and the new release one, as there are many comments on other forums about what people have experienced with both versions, it seems that there are some real differences in the two but no real clear indication of the extent as some people have commented that they believe the newer 4500 has very little difference to the 5000 and may contain the same electronics now.

The comments that made me think were that some were saying that the newer 45 will ground balance quicker and will run a bit more smoothly  than the old ones, and they are pretty hot on small gold and better than the early 45, but they felt that the earlier 45 was much better at larger targets at depth, personally I have found my 45 to be excellent on small gold and often picking up the sorts of pieces that I also get with the sdc2300, and I have found some very deep solid pieces and large specimens with it so it seems to do both pretty well.

cheers

au-fever  

===================================================================================

Hello au-fever  

Here is what I posted in another section of the forum late last year.          

My mates and I have put this comparison to the test, pitting one of the last of the older 4500’s against the newly released 4500.

Some think, they are exactly the same but that is not quite so. In our exhaustive in-ground testing, we have found a number of things that differ.

Firstly the Ground balance on the new release 45, mimics the GPX 5000; it is a lot quicker to G/B than the old 4500, and is a fair bit quieter over hot changeable ground too.

When testing the 2 of them over gold in the ground; the new 45 literally cleaned up the old one on the tiny and smaller nuggets at fairly shallow depths, but when the nuggets were bigger and down deeper, the old 4500 showed its stuff, pulling away by quite some margin.

The general consensus was that the newer 4500, is just like, or maybe is the 5000 without the Fine-Gold timing activated and almost a dead ringer in most ways. I like many others have had a GPX5000, this was for over 12 months, and eventually I went back to the older 4500’s.  

We like them for their raw power on the big gold at depth in hot ground, sure they are a little noisy at times, but if you can put up with that, you should do very well.

Cheers and good luck .

Ozgold.

Hi Ozgold

I too bought a gpx5000 at one point and kept the old gpx4500 as a backup detector then after a week or so of use I felt that my 4500 was much more responsive and that to me the gpx5000 seemed a little dull, I recall thinking at the time that sure it was quieter to run but I felt that they may have been dumbed down to make them be quieter to use, anyway I went back to using the 4500 and immediately started to get gold again, and just for the record I am not bagging the 5000 as other mates have them and do well, but as far as replacing my old 4500 with a new one it may be that I would be better off getting another early model 4500 instead?

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:13 am

During the development of the GPX 5000 Enhance was remapped to be more efficient for better ground handling and depth, I know this because I did the specific testing on it. I'm also sure the newer GPX 4500's are now running the newer GPX 5000 version of Enhance hence the quieter operation. As well as that the newer 4500's now seem to be running the GPX 5000 ground balance software based on what I've seen during training sessions with customers, so one could then assume there have been other GPX 5000 inclusions in the newer GPX 4500 manufacturing processes.

The differences between the older 4500's and the newer ones is a quicker and more precise ground balance, a more refined and better performing Enhance timing and better overall handling of hot ground. These alone make the GPX 4500 right now a very good value for money purchase especially since the advent of the Flat wind coils which brings the 4500 using Enhance up to and beyond the performance of Fine Gold on the GPX 5000 using a standard Mono coil.

Edit additional: A GPX 5000 in combination with a Flat wound coil is brilliant and is still unmatched by any MPS machine for outright ability. It is still Minelab's premier MPS detector and would be my preferred choice if I wasn't using the GPZ 7000.

JP

Last edited by Jonathan Porter on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional info)
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:12 am

We have 2 new 45s and I looked at it this way, the 45s have been out for 10 years or so and the 5s for about 5 years may be a bit longer ,but over that time there would have been up grades to both detectors so all improvements would be incorporated into the new released 45 and I was right . I was using the last of the Australian produced 45s 102 serial number ,when they were released at a reduced price new detector new battery full warranty I thought why not ,yes it turned out to be a better detector regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:32 pm

I wonder if minelab could update an older 4500 to the standard of the later ones

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:18 pm

artrix wrote:I wonder if minelab could update an older 4500 to the standard of the later ones

Why deal with amateurs when you've got Woody sitting there waiting for your call. Twisted Evil
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Slim
Careful what you say the uneducated might take you seriously lol. T02
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:18 pm

When I was selling my gpx 4500,  I had it serviced and the minelab repairs guy rang and told me that he had installed some of the 5000 features. Saying this during the sale I was mocked by some smartass members and they know who they are  V04

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:31 pm

artrix wrote:I wonder if minelab could update an older 4500 to the standard of the later ones

Yeah, I would be up for that too......I mean I have later model Minelab Machines, but it would be nice to keep the old ones as ready to go backups.....
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down