Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new diggings and relics found - Creswick

4 posters

Go down

new diggings and relics found - Creswick Empty new diggings and relics found - Creswick

Post  Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 pm

has anyone got news on new diggings and relics found in creswick?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

new diggings and relics found - Creswick Empty Re: new diggings and relics found - Creswick

Post  Rtanweb Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Hm... been to cressie. did not realise there was enough forrest to hide any "hidden digs". Are you sure that someone did not find new relics at old diggings, as opposed to old relics at new diggins? Smile

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

new diggings and relics found - Creswick Empty Re: new diggings and relics found - Creswick

Post  Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 pm

I haven't been to Creswick for a long time now but every time I did go I found good gold. You have to go where the going is rough?
These gold fields are a bit of an enigma; Some places the gold is scattered all about and shallow with not a reef in sight, other places the nuggets are or should I say were,big and can be in the gullies or up on the hills and once again no reefs in sight. Other places there are reefs and fine gold. the problem with Creswick is that it has been turned topsy turvy through volcanic action and fault slippage and this makes it difficult to trace the gold to any particular sourse. if i wanted to go back to victoria looking for gold, Creswick is on the top of my places to try list.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 pm

i have been wonting to plan a trip[ there for a bit now.... might have to work out some spots and see how i go...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Gidday stoppsy,
DSE did a controlled burn in Lincoln Lead area at the end of November. If vegetation has not grown too much, would probably be worth a look if you go to Creswick area.
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:07 pm

thanks spinna i'll check it out
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

new diggings and relics found - Creswick Empty New diggings and relics found

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 am

Hello Stoppsy
Adrian SS has described the Nerrina / Creswick gold fields very well...Since moving to Ballarat i have been detecting around Nerrina,and made about 8 trips.I haven`t found gold here yet,but a mate from Geelong has got some good gold here some muti gram,but mainly small sub gram bits..He uses the 8 inch Commander to sniff them out,and has great detecting technique..but also knows the area quite well.

I have found the terrain very hard going,as in hilly and a lot of overgrown scrubby ground..I got a little frustrated with the area Smile and ran off to Talbot / Amherst for the last 3 outings and bingo found a 2 gram bit and two more sub gram bits.. Smile I will return to Nerrina and perservere as i know i will eventually will find gold there,i guess i have to pay my dues and learn her secrets...and use a smaller coil also Smile

I have seen some serious workings in Nerrina,and by the accounts of the online archive reports a lot of gold has been found there..There is so much ground for me to explore,so i will return...and it is close for me...15 minutes away.The area that i have been to is around the White Swan Dam,these fields go all the way to Creswick,so there is a lot of prospecting ground here,but you have to be prepared to get amongst the scrub. Smile

Cheers Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 pm

thanks for the info Eureka Dreams. i'm use to the prickel bushes and that as that's what i'v been in the last few months and still have some stuck in my hands and arms.... things you do to find gold lol! . good to hear that your finding some good gold keep up the good work.... the 8" commander coils are great for small gold, i have found most off my gold with my 8"....
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi stoppsy,
Just been on the internet and found a reference that would be of interest to you regarding your original post. It was in todays Ballarat Courier and relates to gold workings discovered after the burn off in Lincoln Gully.
Go to thecourier and click on "other local news". Scroll down to gold mining past at Creswick.

ps typical that Parks Victoria did not know that the diggings existed when local prospectors have been aware of them for umpteen years lol

Happy hunting spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  musso Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:28 pm

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/goldmining-past-revealed-at-creswick/2043504.aspx
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:34 pm

that's the one i was on about, cool thanks for that guys...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Frog Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for that musso.

Frog
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down