Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX4500 - Is there an adaptor available for the Battery.

4 posters

Go down

GPX4500 - Is there an adaptor available for the  Battery. Empty GPX4500 - Is there an adaptor available for the Battery.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:21 am

Hi all,
Had my 4500 for a couple of months now and love it apart from one feature and that is that when charging the battery the power lead needs to be removed from the battery first. Is there anyone out there who makes an adapter to fit the power lead so you can charge straight from it?
Paul

Back to top Go down

GPX4500 - Is there an adaptor available for the  Battery. Empty Re: GPX4500 - Is there an adaptor available for the Battery.

Post  Nightjar Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello Paul,
This would be a simple matter of changing the plug on the end of your charger lead. Jaycar have the 4 pin plugs, not sure whether the carry the 5 pin?

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

GPX4500 - Is there an adaptor available for the  Battery. Empty Re: GPX4500 - Is there an adaptor available for the Battery.

Post  Guest Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks Peter,
will try JayCar during the week and will post if they have the 5 pin plug or not.
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Topcat Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi Paul,

Jaycar have 5 pin plugs. Part No. PS-2018 & usually retail at $2.45.

Cheers

Ted
Topcat
Topcat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-10-27

http://topcathaveweels.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi Ted, took the charger into JayCar today (before I read you post) and they told me that it would have to be ordered thru the manufactor as they did not have that type of plug.
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:59 am

Gday Ted (Topcat)

These plugs from jaycar, the 5 pin ones have you ordered then before?, I see that its made the same way as the original 4 pin type, do they fit the same as the new minelab ones?

I am not a big fan of the new plug as thay are a bit soft and easily damaged, the thin outer wall is easily bent and I have unknowlingly damaged one of mine, easily straightened but if you have to do it a few times it would most likely break off.

If the jaycar ones fit the same I would get them and change the ends on my leads, you wouldnt happen to know if the do the other side as well do you, I had a look at their site but didnt find anything else.

Thanks for the info

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Topcat Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:31 am

Hi stayyerAU,

I can't vouch for the 5-pin plug (I don't have a 4500), have bought the 4-pin for my 2100 from Jaycar, but when you put them side by side the fittings look similar, so I cannot see any reason why they should not fit. If you know of anyone with an SD series ML then check if the thread on the coupling is the same size as the 4-pin plug.

Cheers

Ted
Topcat
Topcat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Gday Ted

I happened past a Jaycar store in Midland today so I went in for a look, they have the 5 pin plug as described but it is not the same as the minelab one, its made in the same way as the old 4 pin type but does not fit the new 5 pin.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Topcat Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi stayyerAU,

I was unaware that the 4500 5-pin was of a different coupling configeration then the earlier models. We learn a little bit every day. Cheers.
Topcat
Topcat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 am

hi all
in november i posted a question about where to get those 5 pin plugs.no luck.
cajshay answered that you could get them on ebay in the states(thanks for answering cajshay).i had a look there,but it was still the wrong type of plug.if any body knows where you can get these plugs it would be appreciated.

Last edited by day one on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  cajshay Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Dave,
Can you or someone post a pic of plug type, I have an industrial catalogue for millitary plugs. will see if I can identify and post the part number if found...
I run 4000 so not familliar with 4500 style, I thought they were same, ooopppsss

Cheers
Chris

cajshay
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:02 pm

GPX4000 & GPX4500 plugs are identical, the both curley cords will fit either machine, the only difference is the 4500's is a bit heavier dutl and a bit longer than the 4000's

Woody had some for sale at one stage, on ebay I think, he is woodyfrankston or something like that on ebay.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:19 am

Gday

Your right Dave the plugs are the same on the 4000 and 4500, didnt know about the curley cord on the 4000 being lighter than the one on the 4500.

I have had issues with the outer metal section of the plugs getting bent in, and I think this is caused by it striking on something when one ends being fitted to the machine and the other end is swinging about the place, they are very soft and I would like to be able to carry a spare.

The other thing that I have found is that the heavy curley cord that I have with my 4500 is that sometimes it gets caught back on its self, I am not sure why it does it but you will be in mid swing and all of a sudden it catches and you cant swing the coil, you have to stop and untangle it.

So I bought the straight lead and that works fine, but that trails down a fair way and sometimes gets caught on bushes, but its less hassle than the curley cord, might shorten it a tad, and see how that goes.

I will make some further enquiries into the plugs too.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Morning all,
Checked with Bernd this morning at Reeds Prospecting, he can supply both the male & female plugs on request.
Bernd & Petra can be contacted through their website;
http://www.reedsprospecting.com.au

or email direct;
petraw@iinet.net.au

or telephone;
08 92503388

Regards
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  alpaca john Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Good Link there Peter.

I have always found that if Berndt and Petra ain't got it .... they will get it, or else tell you where to find it ..... even nuggets (????? Very Happy )

Also they have the fastest postal service I have met.

Regards from Narooma.NSW

Johnno

alpaca john
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-11-28

http://picasaweb.google.com/elsgold1/ElaineSCollectorBearsAugust

Back to top Go down