Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help and advice with 5000

3 posters

Go down

Help and advice with 5000 Empty Help and advice with 5000

Post  monkey Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi all
Need some advice, have bit the bullet and we are buying a 5000 soon. Iam in the middle of the triangle and have private land that has not been flogged to much in the past I can access.(in good areas) my question is what should I buy with it. have read all the post's and researched a lot and still cant make my mind. Basicly looking at, 18" mono round or ? and a 12"or14" mono think NF, hipstik and maybe external twin speaker & booster have not used a ML since I used a extreme back some years. going with the 5000 to take advantage of finegold as I know of a lot of shallow ground, as I spend most of my time sluicing and panning these area. I know it is going to be a learning curve but know I will get there.

thank's for any input in advance
Allan in vic

PS just don't want to waste my money, but still need to give my self the best chance out there. I have the time to take this as far as I want so I want to get it right
monkey
monkey
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Help and advice with 5000 Empty Re: Help and advice with 5000

Post  Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 pm

I'd reccommend the hipstick for any coil 11" and above, twin speakers on a booster I have to reccommend also as I use them lol

As for coils, personally I'd stick with the standard 11" mono that comes with the 5000 for a bit while you learn the machine...deadly coil with extremely good depth.
See how deep the ground is first before forking out for a bigger coil, you may not need the depth if the ground is reasonably shallow, though the extra coverage might be handy if you can swing one in the vegetation etc..

Back to top Go down

Post  Jims Gold Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Allan

Well firstly as you are in the triangle are you buying it from Coiltek?, if so take advantage of their free tuition day to get some answers to your questions.However I would suggest you get used to the machine first before looking at extra coils.I bought a 5000 a couple of weeks ago and am still finding out what it can do Smile ,also I agree with 'Tuna the mono 11" that comes with it is a great coil and you will be surprised at the depth you will get.I'm also thinking of getting a bigger coil but shudder at the thought of the depth of the holes I'll have to dig. Smile

Cheers
Jim
Jims Gold
Jims Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Universal1 Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Allan,

The main coil I use with the 5000 is the 14"x9" Nugget Finder mono. Have found bits as small as 0.08g and it also has good depth capabilities; found a 0.06g bit at 8" with it. The other coil that I use is the 17" Nugget Finder, good depth capabilities and have found small lead shot with it as well. I use the 17" NF mainly on open ground.

As a couple of the other guys have mentioned, the 11" commander mono is probably a good starting point until you learn the ins and outs of the 5000. It's a great machine.

Phil.
Universal1
Universal1
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:15 pm

thank's for that advice steve, jim, phil

Hi Steve I will give the speaker's a go, as I get buzzing in one ear some times and headphones give me the sh.ts. Reason for the big coil, is alot of open paddocks reclaimed by the farmers over time.Being full of diggers hole's in the past. and would need more coverage, and some of these area's are on deeper ground

Jim, yes proberly coiltech as I speak to Andy an Doug quite a bit. But they still won't give me any secret's LOL
I will be taking the day on offer, and may look at a weekend with the boy's in Bendigo(had advice from a friend how went with them and could not speak highly enough of them)
the depth of the hole don't bother my, Iam know to digg down 6 foot to find good wash some time's

Phil, I like the look of that coil, tony mills at dunnolly love's that coil as an alrounder and the 18" round
thank's again PS, the 11" commander will be my friend LOL

monkey
monkey
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down