Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook?

4 posters

Go down

Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook? Empty Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook?

Post  excell123 Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:09 am

I tried this place last weekend. I test panned all over and not one bit of colour, also no black sand either, ud think there would be something there as there was alot of gold in this area.

excell123
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-11-27

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook? Empty Re: Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook?

Post  nero_design Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:46 pm

excell123 wrote:I tried this place last weekend. I test panned all over and not one bit of colour, also no black sand either, ud think there would be something there as there was alot of gold in this area.

The best spots at Moonan Flat are on just about ANY of the privately owned properties there. Even the locals will mention (if you ask them) that there's no easy gold to be found on the State Forest & Crown Land areas there as they are small and the spots have been "done to death" by not only the locals but by anyone passing through. Ask for permission to detect or pan on a property there.. it will probably be worth your time. The last time I was at Moonan Flat, the first thing that caught my eye was how gold-bearing the place looks. Pretty remote spot though. Watch out for the roos on the road at dusk.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook? Empty Yes it does look like gold would be there

Post  excell123 Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 am

It is very scenic , there musnt be much alluvial gold there, i didnt bother detecting there

excell123
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook? Empty Re: Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook?

Post  Geronimo Reilly Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

G'day Excell, if you intend to explore those areas more, then get hold of a book called "Pioneers of a Great Valley"
by I.M. Simpson. They have it in your Maitland Library - shelf location R994.42. Its got heaps of useful info about that whole area & some good mud maps of diggings & mines. Its in the reference only - but you can copy any relevant pages. Hope that helps you. cheers Geronimo.
Geronimo Reilly
Geronimo Reilly
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Geronimo:
You are a human pinpointer.

/I tip my hat to you good sir.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Geronimo Reilly Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 am

nero_design wrote:
Geronimo:
You are a human pinpointer.
/I tip my hat to you good sir.
I appreciate the comment - its all about helping each other, but i must tip my hat to your excellent post on PLB's & EPIRBs. Cool Top of the class Sir king
Slainte, Geronimo. cheers
Geronimo Reilly
Geronimo Reilly
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever been to Moonan Flat, Moonan Brook or Stewarts Brook? Empty Thanks for that advice

Post  excell123 Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:51 am

I will go to library

excell123
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wil Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:23 am

Hi excell123 I have done a fair bit of panning & detecting at stewarts brook with very little results. the mines in the area are all deep lead with very little surface diggings.
I have a share in the old school yard up there so have had a fair go up there.
however it is a very nice area & the camping ground has longdrop loo's only with the brook running along side the grounds.
the area was known as the "dennison digs" some of the finding sound encouraging but I have spoke to a number of others I have come across panning or detecting up there & I havent seen the same person twice fossicking in the twenty years I have been going there.
I dont bother anymore.
Having said all that I did find a small quartze vien in bed rock in the brook once that gave up a little bit of colour but that was a one off.
it might be better over at copeland but I believe it is only a very small area designated for fossicking & has had a canning.
wil

wil
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down