Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noisy unstable threshold

5 posters

Go down

Noisy unstable threshold    Empty Noisy unstable threshold

Post  daveM Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi
I'm new to the forum which in an indication of how frustrated I am with my 7000.
I cannot seem to get a stable threshold and I know I'm missing all the gold (ratio relative) to my 5000 , at all my old places, patches new ground or where ever. At its most stable I'm getting a noise spike every second or third swing, the worst being a noise spike three or four every times I swing the coil. If it was an earlier model minelab detector it would as simple as taking of the coil cover and wiping it clean, that's the type of interference I'm dealing with. I reckon I getting about 20% out of the machine which translates to about 40% of the capability of my 5000. One nugget below 12 inches and a 5.5gm at about seven inches. I've gone from five to forty oz per year since 1984 to 38 gms in two years I'm trying every variation of tunings and settings. Is there a factory reset or anything to really find out where I'm going wrong.
Thanks.

daveM
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-03-16

daveM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Noisy unstable threshold    Empty Re: Noisy unstable threshold

Post  moredeep Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:34 pm

Welcome to the forum davem,I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction?
I run the 5000 so I cannot help you.
good luck with it all

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

daveM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:07 pm

daveM wrote:Hi
I'm new to the forum which in an indication of how frustrated I am with my 7000.
I cannot seem to get a stable threshold and I know I'm missing all the gold (ratio relative) to my 5000 , at all my old places, patches new ground or where ever.   At its most stable  I'm getting  a noise spike every second or third swing, the worst being a noise spike three or four every times I swing the coil.  If it was an earlier model minelab detector it would as simple as taking of the coil cover and wiping it clean, that's the type of interference I'm dealing with. I reckon I getting about 20% out of the machine which translates to about 40% of the capability of my 5000. One nugget below 12 inches and a 5.5gm at about seven inches. I've gone from five to forty oz per year since 1984 to 38 gms in two years I'm trying every variation of tunings and settings. Is there a factory reset or anything to really find out where I'm going wrong.
Thanks.

G’day daveM and welcome to the forum,

Just a couple of questions, as I have one of the first ones released and have not had any problems like you are experiencing.

1, how old is your 7000 and how long have you had it? And has it been playing up since you got it? Just trying to get an understanding of whether you have gotten a faulty machine/coil. As some of the early machines had some issues. Do you know if your machine has the latest update(software)?

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:17 pm

G'day daveM, welcome to the forum

Pending that all your coil/detector plug lead ends are firmly screwed in place on the detector, then get into factory reset.
Scroll down till you get to the Reset page & select the Reset All option, which will then wipe out all past/previous stored detector settings, as well as emptying out any stored data contained within the GeoStore, returning the detector back to its factory pre-set state & go from there. If the noises then continue to persist, something then might be wrong with either your coil, or internal workings of your detector.

Cheers Kon. T25

Last edited by Kon61gold on Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:17 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Dave, Welcome, Posting your detector settings may help. Also query your/detector EMI check.

Some Interesting info on this Thread especially JP's comments p4 etc.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/15248-gpz-7000-threshold-vs-sensitivity-vs-volume-vs-volume-limit-with-discussion-on-audio-smoothing-coil-control-range-of-motion-and-manual-ground-balance/#comments

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

xmas tree and daveM like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  daveM Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 pm

moredeep wrote:Welcome to the forum davem,I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction?
I run the 5000 so I cannot help you.
good luck with it all

cheers   moredeep
Thanks "moordeep". I'm getting some helpful info. Goodluck.

daveM
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  daveM Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:44 pm

Kon61gold wrote:G'day daveM, welcome to the forum

Pending that all your coil/detector plug lead ends are firmly screwed in place on the detector, then get into factory reset.
Scroll down till you get to the Reset page & select the Reset All option, which will then wipe out all past/previous stored detector settings, as well as emptying out any stored data contained within the GeoStore, returning the detector back to its factory pre-set state & go from there. If the noises then continue to persist, something then might be wrong with either your coil, or internal workings of your detector.

Cheers Kon. T25
Thanks Kon. I did a reset last night that seemed to settle it all down quiet a bit. The capacity of the 7000 to store all that data is a bit of a double edged sword for me. I'm a detect and go type of prospector, a different locality every day . Much appreciated

daveM
New Poster
New Poster

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  daveM Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:35 pm

Mike54 wrote:
daveM wrote:Hi
I cannot seem to get a stable threshold and I know I'm missing all the gold (ratio relative) to my 5000 , at all my old places, patches new ground or where ever.   At its most stable  I'm getting  a noise spike every second or third swing, the worst being a noise spike three or four every times I swing the coil.  If it was an earlier model minelab detector it would as simple as taking of the coil cover and wiping it clean, that's the type of interference I'm dealing with. I reckon I getting about 20% out of the machine which translates to about 40% of the capability of my 5000. One nugget below 12 inches and a 5.5gm at about seven inches. I've gone from five to forty oz per year since 1984 to 38 gms in two years I'm trying every variation of tunings and settings. Is there a factory reset or anything to really find out where I'm going wrong.
Thanks.

G’day daveM and welcome to the forum,

Just a couple of questions, as I have one of the first ones released and have not had any problems like you are experiencing.

1, how old is your 7000 and how long have you had it? And has it been playing up since you got it? Just trying to get an understanding of whether you have gotten a faulty machine/coil.  As some of the early machines had some issues.   Do you know if your machine has the latest update(software)?

Cheers.  

Mike.  

G'day Mike
I got my 7000 quite a while after the release and it came with the latest updates installed. I had the Machine tested and it all came back ok. I did a reset last night and it seems more manageable. That being said the coil could be a bit faulty. Ill find out tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply
Appreciated

daveM
New Poster
New Poster

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  daveM Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:43 pm

davsgold wrote:
daveM wrote: Is there a factory reset or anything to really find out where I'm going wrong.
Thanks.

The full factory hard reset is the best one to clear it, to do this, when you go to turn the machine on just hold the on button down for 5 or more seconds it will come up with a screen telling you what to do and just follow the prompts.

At the end you will need to, when you restart the machine, re put in all the preferences, like I said it is a full hard reset.

cheers dave

PS: what Kon said above is one of the ways to reset, there are actually three types of reset and the hold down the start button is the best one of all, the other two are just soft reset methods.

Thanks davsgold. I did a factory reset last night and it seemed to settle it down quite a bit. The test will come tomorrow afternoon when I head out for a dig. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciated

daveM
New Poster
New Poster

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:48 pm

Thanks daveM,

Hope you have a good day with your 7000.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  dppark Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:40 pm

Hello,

I was out detecting a new area on the weekend and had a problem the same as you. It was a nearby electric fence which i couldn't tune out, I had to move areas.

Cheers

Dave

dppark

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-09-23

bushbasher90 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  daveM Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi there. thanks for the interest. I did a factory reset and nothing changed, in fact it seemed to be more consistently noisy. I will try a different coil and then talk to Minelab if the machine is still noisy.

daveM
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down