Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bogene's settings ?

4 posters

Go down

Bogene's settings ? Empty Bogene's settings ?

Post  Gold1 Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi , I'm interested to know if anyone out there is using Bogene's settings on a regular basis and what results you are getting ? . For those of you that haven't heard , its basically where you turn your threshold right down to zero and your gain right up . The detector goes silent until it finds a target that is . Bogene and his mates had been finding alot more smaller gold this way . Personally I just like the total quietness of these settings and so I tend to leave my detector set up this way . I've found plenty of small gold since . I also found a big 69 gramer last week at depth too , so it seems to work ok on the big stuff as well . Anyway just wondering what other peoples experiences have been in regard to these settings ? . Oh yeah , in case you are wondering , I run a 4500 .
Simon / Gold1

Gold1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Bogene's settings ? Empty Re: Bogene's settings ?

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi Gold1, I have a 4000 and do a similar thing. I set my thresh hold at either just audible or just not audible and I have an in line booster which I turn up to about 3/4 on the dial or till the noise from the booster is quite audible. This setting tweets and beeps on everything but I usually can tell the difference somehow. I am definitely getting more small targets and small lead pellets are very common now. Up to 10 in an afternoon, where I was only getting 1 or 2. Found some very small gold in areas I had searched. Not stating it is a good thing to do, it is just what I do and i works for me. albino

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:44 am

Gday gold1

I have heard of these settings before and I think we discussed it one time on here as well, but I think it may be been some time back though, maybe a year or two.

Anyway my opinion on this has not changed and I used to do a similar thing with my gp extreme on excessively noisy ground or salty areas when I had no other choice and wanted to keep detecting, but I only did this when I had no other option but would not recommend it for general use.

The reason for this is that the threshold is there so is that you can listen for subtle changes in the ground as you know, without the threshold you will only get the strong and obvious signals, whether they be a shallow small piece or a large piece at depth, there are many other signal types and wavers to the threshold that you will miss, you will of course get gold as stated but I believe that you will be missing a lot more, as you are making the machine less sensitive to the signals.

I have also heard of the setting being used in conjuction with a booster as suggested by sparrowfart, where the threshold is turned right down and the booster right up, this seems to me to de defeating the purpose of having a threshold and you could in fact be unwittingly dumbing your machine down, so insted of listening to your threshold you are listening to the electronic hum of the booster instead giving you a false sense of having a threshold signal, if you get my drift.

From my experience a large percentage of the signals you will get from gold whether it be large or small at medium depth and beyond is nothing more than a waver in the threshold, just enough to be able to pull you up and get you scratching about, it stands to reason that without the threshold working as it should as a "barely audible hum" you would not be able to decern it as you have no reference point so to speak.

Its nice to run a completely silent machine but I like to be able to hear the changes in the ground conditions as sometimes this will also indicate to you an area that is more mineralised than the rest of the ground you are working and this can indicate the likely presence of nuggets.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  monoman1961 Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:13 am

hi all here is a link to bogene's post. once there click on search and type in bogene
the post is tuning the GPX4000

http://www.finders.com.au/finders-forum-info/finders-forum/

Last edited by monoman1961 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
monoman1961
monoman1961
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:14 am

i know lots of people who run with no threshold at all...they love it and seem to pick up lots of gold.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:34 am

hi
 i had not heard of these settings,but having thought about it i agree with stayer,but i couldn`t put it as good as he did. couple of months ago i got a nice 4 grammer which i thought was maybe a slight change in ground noise till i was down about 2". i allready had the gain on 12 on my 4000 and if i had the gain on 15 with the threshold turned down to nothing , there is no way in the world i would have got that piece

Last edited by day one on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added too)

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:44 am

G'day Gold1.

Ive also tested these settings on just about every Minelab pulse detector known throughout the past
and I'd have to agree with Stayyer on this one. I mean,who wouldn't want to hear nothing but positive
signals coming through your headphones or speaker?.Problem is without threshold,tiny nuggets which emit
the faintest of break in threshold sound will disappear,especially as the ground tends to get hotter in
mineralization. Also ive tested this theory on deeply buried positive gold targets,that gave me a faint break
in threshold sound,which did pull me up for a scrape of the ground,whilst when i turned back the threshold
to where i couldn't hear any threshold hum,neither could i hear the target.Believe me when i say,it's those
really faint deep target signals that your after,which could lead to what i call 'The tip of the Iceberg' ..
So even the faintest of threshold(to suit the individuals ear) is better than no threshold at all.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:49 am

so do you just go back to standard settings and drop the threshold right down and turn the gain right up? you could just turn the threshold up bit by bit just until you could hear the hum without it going stupid...

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Stoppsy;

Settings depend on a combination of coil/ground conditions.Threshold to what you're comfortable
with.Keep in mind that even the faintest of threshold is better than no threshold at all.As for Gain,
just enough so that positive targets are distinguishable from ground noise.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Claimpeg wrote:i know lots of people who run with no threshold at all...they love it and seem to pick up lots of gold.

they might get a lot of gold .....but it would be interesting to know how much they miss

Back to top Go down

Bogene's settings ? Empty No Threshold

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 am

Hi All,
In Cue WA the ground is mostly noisy and to walk around with the threshold just on you will get those spurious noises which sound or mask what can be a target signal.

What we have found and tried(compared ) is Bogene's settings, and the difference is amazing, you walk around with just the hum of internal electronics, not a noise which can and does sound exactly like a small signal.

Any sound or signal is easily distinguished because any signal that is heard is target or potential target signals and not that annoying threshold buzzing that some people put up with.

A story,...A relative newcommer to prospecting was told to have his threshold cranked right up to get those faint target signals to register, what a racket it made and what a dork he would think he now is!!!

What i am trying to say is any noise or unwanted sounds coming in mask a small signal, by small i meen that the signal recieved by the detector was small, this doesn.t meen that the target is small and to have a threshold signal masking what should really be heard seems pointless to me.

Its no good writing about it because you need to get out there and experiment for yourself and compare your own findings and most of all swing slower and you will understand what i am trying to say.

Regards Ron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 pm

i tryed it, my mate found a target with his detector so i ran the 4000 over with no threshold and it didn't pick it up. i put the threshold back to where it's ment to be and it picked it up with no probs...but i was using an 8"mono coil...i'm not sure how much depth you lose doing it but when i tryed i lost a heap...what's the deepest that anyones found doing this and what size coil?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  goltzy75 Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi all! Has anyone tried bogene's settings using the standard dd coil? Could it work? Can it work using standard earphones with no booster.

goltzy75
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down