Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running Threshold as low as 1

4 posters

Go down

Running Threshold as low as 1  Empty Running Threshold as low as 1

Post  Martin R Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:59 pm

Did any of you see this over at Steve's forum ?
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/855-testing-a-few-gold-and-ground-modes-on-an-undug-10-gram-nugget-video/#entry8371

Would you run your TH that low ?

Be interested to hear what JP thinks of this method

Cheers Marty

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Running Threshold as low as 1  Empty Re: Running Threshold as low as 1

Post  G.B. Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:34 pm

Have tried it with a 4500 and didn't like it. I believe it is the little breaks in the threshold and being able to hear them that can be the difference between finding or not finding gold that only cause a slight change in the threshold. No threshold no break os slight variation to hear.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:46 pm

I hear you GB
I've never run a TH that low either on the Gp/GPX's but could the Z be different in the way it reads the signal ?
One would think running it that low that only large target would be read or could this all be wrong with the Z where it may still be able to see those faith targets just the same ?

Got any info on this one Hound ?

Marty

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Martin R wrote:I hear you GB
I've never run a TH that low either on the Gp/GPX's but could the Z be different in the way it reads the signal ?
One would think running it that low that only large target would be read or could this all be wrong with the Z where it may still be able to see those faith targets just the same ?

Got any info on this one Hound ?

Marty

All good questions Martin, I believe the detector still knows the signal is there but if we can't hear it it's not the detectors fault as the only way it can communicate with us is through sound.

If you turn the car radio down and you can't hear it it's still receiving and putting out info but you need volume to hear it, a bit like the detector threshold I reckon.

I know some people use zero threshold and reckon it works, so I say why argue with someone that know what they want.

I still reckon that threshold gives something to compare against with the soft faint targets and so will continue to use it like that.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:42 pm

G'day Marty,

Just had a quick read of the manual about the threshold page 25. The 3rd & 4th paragraph says it all if too loud you may miss any faint targets over the hum of the threshold and if not high enough you may miss any small or deep targets. This is how it read to me and I hope this answers your question Marty.

Cheers. Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:20 pm

I always run my threshold relatively high, I like a lot of information coming back at me.

GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  fisho101 Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:45 am

It's an interesting post alright , I like the way he talks of balancing after unbalancing out things and it makes me wonder if unbalancing it one way or another may benefit to small or large gold. If it's unbalancing produces lesser results for big gold will it enhance the target response on small gold?.
fisho101
fisho101
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down