Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

car jump starter

+7
Thunda
geof_junk
joe82
granite2
AnnieL
Sparrowfart
ivanll
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

car jump starter Empty car jump starter

Post  vasilis Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:52 am

Is there a car jump starter that anyone can recommend. I have been researching the Audew 1000 amp to the 2000 amp but seems impossible to buy at the moment being an American brand. Also checked out some Youtube stuff showing comparisons between a few different brands and the Audew seems to shine. I was hoping the Noco GB40 would be a good option but did not look like it is anywhere near as good as the Audew.
Any thoughts out there ?? I am sure most of you out bush have had some experience with charges.
Thank you. Cheers Bill(vasilis)
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

car jump starter Empty Re: car jump starter

Post  geof_junk Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:05 am

Have you looked at the cold cranking current rating of your vehicle's battery. That will give you a guide for your requirements.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:24 am

Thanks for the reply Geoff. I do understand every battery has a different cca but I am looking at how the jump starters perform on a range of vehicles.
Some seems not to be holding a very reliable charging capacity in volts. The Noco gets a great review but I was looking at an American you tube and it came no where near the power of the Audew.
I thought this topic may be of interest to people who are preparing for the outback adventure and I am sure a lot of prospectors already have this in their kit.
cheers.
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:49 pm

No need, save your money.

Most people who camp out have a small 'gen set'. mine is a Honda 2kw that has a 12 volt dc plug in for recharging your vehicle battery, works great, all you need is enough petrol.

bom

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Perhaps a "capacitor" or battery less jump starter.

https://www.rescue-mate.com/

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2009-05-23

adrian ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:18 pm

Agreed The capacitor jobs are great.
I have used one of these to jump start my lil Corolla, works beaut but looks like it would not start a match box toy.
If the battery is cactus as in shorted, open cct, boiled dry, no acid, then the only answer is a battery jump starter pack coz the capacitor type will not run the vehicle ....or ya get somebody nearby with a good battery to charge up yer capacitor jumper. Very Happy ....Hmmmmm but even then it would be of no use coz yer vehicle battery is totally stuffed. Rolling Eyes Anyway if there is somebody close by with a good battery then yer might as well just get a normal jump start

You might get a chuckle from this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOZHgRC_90

What size engine are we talking about? Diesel or petrol?

Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you have a diesel donk then you will need a battery jump starter coz yer glow plugs will drain a capacitor starter and leave nothing to start the donk... What a Face What a Face....unless it is a really big/powerful capacitor starter.

Last edited by adrian ss on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4365
Registration date : 2015-07-03

xmas tree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:42 pm

ivanll wrote:Perhaps a "capacitor" or battery less jump starter.

https://www.rescue-mate.com/

Costs about the same as a spare battery and jumper leads. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:19 pm

Thank you for all the feedback and will look into it a bit further. I am only trying to start up a 2 lit 4 cylinder engine most of the time but I prefer to have a unit that lasts. I tried one a while ago on a small Diesel engine and it was useless. After a few attempts it just died in the A.....s.
cheers
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:41 pm

Some handy info here from Jaycar.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/jumpstarters
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Tis a bit of a challenge which one to decide on,I've been looking for a little while,but get bamboozled with the variety of choice.
lith/ion vs lith/poly ,lith -cobalt,1000/1500/2000amps /recharge every 6 months bla bla etc.Then you read the reviews and things get more blurry.
Chasing something for $150 bucks or less is a challenge,flea bay and amazon are saturated with them.
You get what you pay for they say.I guess it's a spin the bottle scenario,especially when it's only an insurance to get one self out of trouble, I may never use it Shocked

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:48 pm

That was a good article to read Adrian. Better to be informed than not hey!
I also go through long periods when I do not think about flat batteries but it seems that the expression 'expect the unexpected' has come true for me.
cheers
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:12 am

I have one of those ARB starters, seems to work OK.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm

We bought this 1000CCA for our LC100 series.Works great. Mostly used to help others.

https://powersolutionsaustralia.com.au/power-solutions-australia-genuine-1000cca-jump-starter-starts-vehicles-up-to-8-litre-diesel/

Cheers
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 pm

I have tried one of those little jump starters and found it wanting. My best jump starter ever was a 24aH gell cell battery. It lasted 12 years before it was stolen in WA near Laverton. That jump starter powered our 12 volt camp light, charged many and various items such as our camera and phone batteries and even our detector batteries. It had no trouble starting our 4 cylinder diesel ute or Kia. It was heavy but never once did the weight worry me.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

geof_junk and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Lead acid sealed unit are good and can be charged from the car. Power of a battery is Amps times Voltage by time.
lith/ion, lith/poly ,lith -cobalt have a much larger short time discharge amps, and starting a vehicle is short time.
One thing to keep in mind is if the battery is having problems starting the vehicle. Is to disconnect one terminal of it"s battery and use the jump starter, then replace vehicle battery terminal before removing jump starter battery connections.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

granite2 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:23 pm

Just purchased a autogen 2500amp lith/poly jump starter [ it was a spin the bottle decision]
The deciding factor though was the price,ebay 280.00 dolla ,amazon 139.90 dolla, half the freaking price, what the!
LOOKS THE GOODS: What a Face
If it gets me out of trouble once or twice I'll be happy cheers

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

geof_junk and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:26 pm

These are my jump starters.
The little white one started the Corolla ok. After approx 8 months of sitting idle in the back of the car it still retains about 87% of a full charge. The Rooboost is a fairly newby and has yet to prove itself but it is well constructed and feels tough and can push out 2000 amps in a crisis. Both are supplied in good carry cases with the Rooboost case being  very good and relatively crush proof (Feels like fibre glass but is probably just tough plastic.

I notice with the Rooboost that the manufacturer states that it can punch out 2000 amps but the carry box is stamped 20,000mah, so i guess the 2000 A is a short cct current capability.??

car jump starter Rscn1921

car jump starter Rscn1922

car jump starter Rscn1923

Last edited by adrian ss on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:34 am

I use the kings brand starter watches a video on YouTube 15 cars in a row it started but is only good for 2 mobile phones? I keep it in my car and charge it every 3 months and take it in the Polaris when hunting and detecting

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 am

So many options when it comes to products that it is driving me crazy. I bought an air compressor for the car on eBay last week and it is faulty so loosing faith in our cheap Chines products. Hence my question about a good reliable jump starter!!
If anyone has put the jump starter through it's test and has shown to be a good one please post it up.
I followed up on the options suggested by people here but still can't decide.
Cheers Vasilis
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:03 am

I feel your pain,just got to dive in and hope for the best.
paying top dollar is no guarantee.
I did have a look at the Australian owned company that make a large variety of battery equipment ITECH,they appeared very good
and might be better to deal with if you have a problem with their product than an OS mob, cost was a factor though.
Amazon reviews and google product reviews are all you can go on.
goooooood luck

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:16 pm

Wise words indeed Moredeep.
Sometimes research brings more confusion. Nevertheless it's good to fill the brain with information.
cheers vasilis
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Beware of the figures advertises quote they are correct but not what the layman might think is appropriate for his use.

SPECIFICATION
ROOBOOST RB-2000 is the lightest, most powerful car jump starter to jumpstart 12v cars up to 20 times.

Product Name: Jump Starter & Power Bank
Model: RB-2000
Internal Battery: Lithium Ion
Capacity: 20000mAh (74Wh)
Suitable for Vehicles: Up to 10.0L Petrol and 8.0L Diesel
Start Voltage: 12V
Start Current: 1000Amp
Peak Current: 2000Amp

Note the Lithium ion Ah rating would be close to 6 Ah for 74 Wh where as the Lead Acid is 85 Ah giving over 1000 Wh

Yuasa’s SUV, 4x4 & Light Commercial batteries are designed and built tough using robust internal components and advanced manufacturing processes to withstand the challenges of Australia's extreme conditions.Calcium technology for superior starting power. Full frame cast plates for improved strength and durability. Reduced self-discharge for improved battery life

SPECIFICATIONS
Chemistry Lead Acid .... Volt 12 .... Ah  85 .... CCA 720 ....   RC  160 ....  
Note

A good link on Batteries. ....Battery LINK....
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:19 pm

I am fairly certain the the Rooboost will not deliver 20,000mah (20A) for one hour without getting seriously hot. and lithium ions don't like getting hot.
But I got it to start my 1.8 ltr Corolla...I reckon an 8 ltr diesel would stop it dead in its tracks.....Lots of compression and lots of glow plugs to heat up.

I will give it a try out one of these days with a 12 volt 6 amp load and see how long it will keep delivering just 6 amps.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:06 pm

You are dead right Adrian. Your reply illustrates my point that advertised figures are correct but not what most people or layman thinks it is.
In your case the rating means it will give 1 Amp for 20 Hours

A part copy of the link I posted will illustrate this.
"    An amp hour (AH) is a rating usually found on deep cycle batteries. The standard rating is an amp rating taken for 20 hours. What this means for a 100 AH rated battery is this: Draw from the battery for 20 hours, and it will provide a total of 100 amp hours. That translates to about 5 amps an hour. (5 x 20 = 100). However, it's very important to know that the total time of discharge and load applied is not a linear relationship. As your load increases, your realized capacity decreases. This means if you discharged that same 100 AH battery by a 100 amp load, it will not give you one hour of runtime. On the contrary, the perceived capacity of the battery will be that of 64 amp hours."
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunda Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:29 am

I'll throw my two bobs worth in on this subject for what its worth.

I done as much research as possible on jump starters and bought a Project.

And I'll tell you exactly, l do a lot of flying to remote places and land anywhere there a prospect of good prospecting, and usually camp for a day or more.

When its time to move you don't want a flat battery, now hand prop start is not an option with my aircraft, jump starting with a small lightweight device is the go.

And even with this there is a huge problem, as l would need to get out, lift the engine cowel and get back in and start, (no hand brake , plane takes off without me) then disconnect the Projector and catch up with the plane get in and go.

Just not happening.

So, the answer is simple, because the Projector is so small and light l hard wired it into the co kit beside the seat, deliberately run the main battery flat by leaving the landing lights on and tried a start.

No go, so coupled up the Anderson plug switched on the Projector and tried a start, that
Lycoming i0-360 was running at the first revolution.

Not good enough ?
I tried it on the Land cruiser 1HZ 4.2 Diesel, no problems started cold.

Still not good enough ?
A contractor was doing a job for the neighbour and flattened the battery on his dozer (24v) jumper leads to one 12 v battery and started no problem.

Also started my Cat Excavator the same way.

You can leave the projecta hard wired in your vehicle with a disconnected Anderson plug and still recharge it via the cigarette plug so its always fully charged.

Can't upload a picture but its a Projecta
1250 amp 12 volt jump starter. Lithium start $306:90

Thunda
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2021-02-13

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:02 am

Sounds like a good unit that has well and truly proven itself. Very Happy
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 am

Great testimonial Thunda.
It's difficult to obtain good feed back on these units because; for the average joe blow like me will rarely use one.
Sounds like your having fun out there, good luck and don't find any thing too big as you won't get off the ground  cheers  affraid  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

cheers   moredeep

Last edited by moredeep on Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Don't worry about the jump starter Bill & grab the kayak. We might have to drop a few eskimo rolls when working some of those steeper gullies/ravines. Shocked Laughing

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:28 pm

aluminium scuba tanks might effect your coil kon? Q35

cheers moredeep