Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new starter

+4
Bushed-Tracker
pipeclay
Digginerup
Scottg
8 posters

Go down

new starter Empty new starter

Post  Scottg Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Gday, Just started an interest in gold detecting. I have borrowed the father in laws minelab sd2000. Can anyone give an opinion on this. I have had a practice run in his backyard, he buried a small piece of gold and let me find it, which i did.I am hooked already and this model seems easy to use. If anyone has any hints that would be great.

Thanks

Gary Smile

Scottg
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-07-28

Back to top Go down

new starter Empty Re: new starter

Post  Digginerup Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Scottg, welcome to your new addiction! Laughing Want good advice?, read as many of the posts here as you can and if you cant find answers there I am sure there are some SD 2000 users willing to help, the SD 2000 was a capable gold finder and a the dawn of a new gold era when new and is still widely used,research is the key in locating gold areas within your area and as your father in law already has this machine he sounds like a likely place to start, good luck and enjoy the great outdoor hobby of metal detecting.
Regards
Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

new starter Empty New Starter

Post  pipeclay Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi mate and welcome. the 2000 is still a good machine and in my opinion a great place to start. If you dont have the manual, or want to keep an electronic version, cut and paste this link - its in pdf format.

http://www.minelab.com/consumer/knowledge-base/product-manuals

Its the minelab site and the archived manual area. the 2000 manual is towards the bottom of the list.

have fun!
pipeclay
pipeclay
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

new starter Empty sd2000

Post  Scottg Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info guys.The detector still has the manual and even still has the warranty card in it.Cant wait to have my first real swing, probably Hillend or nundle asap.

Cheers Very Happy

Scottg
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushed-Tracker Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It will be best to stay out of the 'back yard' when testing. Their will be too much ambient 'noise' from the house power and power lines etc and also heaps of rubbish from its construction days.

Good luck

John
Bushed-Tracker
Bushed-Tracker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottg Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Ok bushed tracker.Thanks, never thought of that. Smile

Scottg
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

new starter Empty licence

Post  Scottg Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Can anyone tell me if a licence is needed in nsw to detect.If so where can you get one?

Cheers

Scottg
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:43 pm

G'day ScottG ... from Kate in Sth Australia Very Happy You've got yourself a great detector to start with!! Yes, it's an older unit! But if you learn to speak its language (instead of trying to teach it to speak yours), you will get a lot further, a lot faster. This is the one and only secret to the SD2000.

I'm selling mine right now, ONLY because I've managed to fall into a GPX4000 ... I'm no super expert, but I think you will have a great time learning with this machine! And you will meet lots of great people ... all willing to share their knowledge and friendship ...

My back garden is great to test machines in ... but I've got around 320-340 acres! No gold though!! Sad Try to keep well away from power lines, household appliances/systems, the garage, the shed .... it's just best to get RIGHT AWAY from all electrical interference!

Read, read, read ... find an area that is 'quiet' of hot rocks, ground noises etc, and start to learn to hear/read what your detector is saying.

I wish you all the very best of good fortune, fun, and an ever expanding group of 'detectorist friends'. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Welcome to the forum ScottG.

Link to Guide to Fossicking in NSW
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/363544/A-Guide-to-Fossicking-in-New-South-Wales.PDF

Cheers
Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

new starter Empty hi im Craig

Post  hbomb Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 am

Hi im Craig im new to prospecting i to have a new gpx5000,i have been up around Bendigo,castlemaine,chewton and donnolly Mate its amazing i love it i just need some lovley nuggets lol cheers

hbomb
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

new starter Empty Welcome

Post  stilltrying Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Welcome scott & craig, You have both chosen the only hobbie I know of that can pay for itself. My suggestion is that you look up prospecting clubs also as they have monthly camps and lots of people to help with hints & advice. Most club will only cost $40-$50 to join. Definatly worth the money as I me & my brother have both learnt heaps & made many friends since we joined V.M.D&P.A which is one of the detecting clubs in Victoria.
Hope you both enjoy your new found hobbie.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down