Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance

3 posters

Go down

Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance Empty Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance

Post  Daniel&Julie Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi All
We are looking to purchase a Minelab GPX-4000.

We have asked to borrow it before we purchase, and have brought it home.

Due to only using a detector some years ago, we have not experience at all.

Looking in the box, we don't think the charger is here!

So this is were the HELP comes in; wondering if there is anyone in the Frankston Victoria area, that we could meet up with to give us a couple of pointers on the potential purchase.

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel & Julie
0401 389 906 affraid

Daniel&Julie
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-11-15

Back to top Go down

Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance Empty Re: Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance

Post  Kon61gold Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:04 pm

G'day Daniel/Julie, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I do not live near Frankston Vic, to be of any close assistance to you but by borrowing, do you mean for a days testing, or have you leased it from a shop for a couple of days detecting? There is no need for it coming with a battery charger, if you've borrowed it for a days testing, for a good working condition & fully charged up GPX battery, should easily give you 7+ hrs of detecting time, which is more than anyone would require for testing purposes. Most importantly, before switching the detector on, make sure you are several hundred meters away from any power lines, or you will experience a sporadic amount of Electrical Interference coming through your speaker/headphones in the form of false detector signals.
Strange that the person selling you the detector, has not given you any tips on how to go about starting off?  Anyways, you can always download the Minelab GPX 4000 instruction manual, which will give you a good idea as to what quick start settings you should start off with & something of what to expect before starting off on your search.
By the way, do you intend on purchasing this GPX 4000 detector, strictly for the detecting of natural gold nuggets out bush, or do you have other plans for its use as well?  

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Daniel&Julie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance Empty HELP - LOOKING TO PURCHASE A GPX-4000, BUT HAVE NO IDEA.... WONDERING IF THERE IS SOMEONE IN THE FRANKSTON VICTORIA AREA, THAT WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE US SOME GUIDANCE

Post  Daniel&Julie Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:43 am

Hi Kon
Thanks for replying, so my friends father-in-law purchased the detector and he passed away about a year ago, so the detector is just sitting around and my friend is selling it on behalf of her mother-in-law. That's why they cant help and show us how to use it etc.

I said to my friend we would be interested but since its an old detector and secondhand (always had issues with secondhand stuff) could we please borrow it to see if we can work out how to use it (we are just going to have the detector for a couple of weeks to see if we can work it out).

Now that we have it... i think there are items missing, for example the charger. There are two chargers with the detector but they don't fit.

We have the instruction manual and I totally agree its a good starting point, but we first need to charge it. At this stage the only detecting will be out bush in the Victorian gold fields, no beach detecting or treasure hunting. I have done some research as to what each detector is best for... we where looking at the 1. Garrett AT Max (new) or the 2. Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (new), but thought no harm in looking at the one my friend is selling.

If we had experienced and more knowledge i don't think it would been an issue, you can see the detector is in excellent condition, and its potentially better then items 1. and 2.... BUT.. were to start !!

Cheers and thankyou
Daniel & Julie

Daniel&Julie
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance Empty Re: Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:02 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:05 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:12 pm

G’day Daniel & Julie,

Welcome to the forum, I’m not sure if you realise that you have to disconnect your battery from the lead as the charger plugs into the battery. There’s a little led light on the end of the battery, this shows that the battery is charging. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  bicter Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:55 am

davsgold wrote:and this detector shop is not far from where you live, go and have a chat to them, tell them what you have and ask what you need to make it work.

https://luckystrikegold.com.au/

Hope they can swim Dave, they're over the other side of the  bay Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Minersden at Shop 2/517 Whitehorse Road, Mitcham VIC 3132 is probably a lot closer and easier to get to.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2012-03-18

geof_junk and Reg Wilson like this post

Back to top Go down

Help - Looking to purchase a GPX-4000, but have no idea.... wondering if there is someone in the Frankston Victoria area, that would be happy to give us some guidance Empty HELP - LOOKING TO PURCHASE A GPX-4000, BUT HAVE NO IDEA.... WONDERING IF THERE IS SOMEONE IN THE FRANKSTON VICTORIA AREA, THAT WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE US SOME GUIDANCE

Post  Daniel&Julie Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi All
Thank you for your replies, we have worked it out and will also go the the shop in Mitcham.
Happy Prospecting.
Very Happy

Daniel&Julie
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down