Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Detector for Extreme Minerilization

+2
deutran
Goldbait
6 posters

Go down

Which Detector for Extreme Minerilization Empty Which Detector for Extreme Minerilization

Post  Goldbait Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:13 pm

as title says. which detector should i be looking at for extreme minerilisation. The GP extreme just doesn't cut it on this specific piece of land.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Which Detector for Extreme Minerilization Empty Re: Which Detector for Extreme Minerilization

Post  deutran Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Goldbait
Mineralisation will affect all detectors in some way.With GP/SD models DD coils will reduce the effect somewhat.The GPX series were designed with mono coil ability in mind and are superior in the ironstone/red clay with enhance circuitry(smooth on 4000).I,ve seen this recently first hand and its chalk and cheese.However even these latest GPX are affected by red wet clay and not immune.
Something that is significant though in the later detectors and a real benefit is the reduced sensitivity to rusty iron and lead in enhance whilst even the smallest gold easily picked up.
I should also mention that a number of detectorist are using GPX4000's and doing very well particularly on the larger nuggets.These are a very capable machine and well priced.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Which Detector for Extreme Minerilization Empty Re: Which Detector for Extreme Minerilization

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Goldbait, I am a new detector user and now use a gpx4500. I've been to Vic. when the clay was really wet and had trouble using my NF 12" elliptical coil, but what I found was to lift the coil up a little froom the ground helped reduce ground mineral noise. They say that the larger coils do better, not sure about that but I'm sure one of the other members with more experience can help there.
uncle bob.

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:11 am

I'm finding the larger coils to be a little more immune to the 'ground noise effect' in damp ground that can be a problem sometimes with smaller coils. We certainly found a bunch of hotrocks when playing with the 5000 on recently drenched ground. The downside of a larger monoloop coil for me is i always need to use a longer lower shaft and minimize any metal on my lower torso.

How are you finding the Double-D coils with your machine - or are you trying to make the most of Monoloop coils with the GP? Don't forget that high mineralization can also be your friend. Try hunting nuggets there where others might otherwise have given up. If the ground is damp (but not saturated with sloppy clay a few inches down), it's been suggested by some people that you can sometimes increase your depth by a considerable margin.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:10 am

The downside of a larger monoloop coil for me is i always need to use a longer lower shaft and minimize any metal on my lower torso.

Fluck Nero,

One of your posts not long ago had you worried if you had too much metal on your person.

Fluck what you carry an Anvil with ya person.

Go for another Caffeine clown

Mick,

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 am

When i was at this location i ran a 14" elip GS mono coil and it actually seamed a lot more stable than my 11" Minelab DD coil which just screamed.

The ground was muddy damp at about 2 - 3 inches down.

When i was swinging the coil and got a hit i went over the area in several different angles. After i dug 2 inches of dirt out the noise dissapeared as if i had dug the noise out. However going over the dug out dirt resulted in a quiet signal.

I think i dug 6 of these targets in about 1/2hr.

So m i doing the right thing. Should i just keep digging these targets until one finally turns out to be a positive signal.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:41 am

Was just using a 16NF round adv +4500 during the heavy rain and picked up very few hotspots maybe only 2 or 3 a day.Quite acceptable as the rest were legit targets,the only trouble they are usually deep.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuck Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:30 pm

In the area in question it has a lot of small pockets of mineralisation, only running a small mono or larger mono lifted of the ground a little will it sell down some. You will not get rid of this as dry or wet it never changes, but to look on the bright side there is gold there and the ground is very shallow as you would have seen allot of decomposing rock exposed.
Did you see the shafts dug into the ridge to the north?
The small pieces of gold are in the serpentine and get released and was down hill.
Cheers Tuck

Tuck
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:05 pm

NSEW wrote:
Fluck Nero,
One of your posts not long ago had you worried if you had too much metal on your person.

Fluck?

I still do. The 5000 is more sensitive that the 4500 - and my 4500 was a pretty sensitive machine to begin with so I wasn't expecting to have to accommodate any changes. On the 4500 I usually use a 14" NFA Elliptical but the instant that I swapped it to the 5000, I had problems with it reacting to the metal on my belt and my waist. So in default settings, the 5000 required me to make some immediate changes with just a measly 14" elliptical coil. Even after tuning I had to consider an 800mm shaft, especially with bigger coils. Sure, plenty of people like using 16 to 25 inch coils these days - especially in Victoria and WA - but I seem to recall that the GPXs were designed to handle up to a 16" coil before other issues start to tip the balance of stability and sensitivity. Something to do with "optimization". Perhaps JP knows... I think he spoke to Minelab about this design aspect relating to coils during the making of one of his videos.

Machetes and wide-bladed knives are easily a problem with larger coils when they're down low or around your waist. This is why I moved some of my blades to the side of the control box so they move in tandem with my coils. Still, there are people out there who continue to wear their pick strapped to their hip with a PI detector using a large monoloop. They tend to be new users. I can't complain if they're finding gold though.

Glad I passed on going out this weekend. It's been a drencher here in NSW with all the rain. No doubt this will ensure an endless supply of hotrocks for my wife for weeks to come. Can't even use my Dry-Washer due to the wet and the creeks are too high to get to my favourite sluice spots. Feels just like winter again because I'm now housebound.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:28 pm

dude...I feel so badly unprepared for this war. I have one measley little leatherman in a pouch on my belt Sad

Obviously my 4500 and my 5000 is a dud or I'm just not carrying enough hardware on my batmans utililty belt as I just don't seem to have the clash issues you seem to constantly suffer from

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:42 pm

G'day Goldbait.

The question you should have asked is,which coil would best suit your detector for extreme mineralization and the answer would have been,14 inch round Goldstalker DD Elite or 18 inch Commander DD round. There are other brand and sizes but these were the two best that i found that could handle extreme mineralization on the GP Extreme,with minimal sacrifice in depth and sensitivity.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Tuna, It's one of those boy-scout "Always be prepared" motto's I still adhere to. You would be more amused at what I keep stowed in the pack itself: everything from back-up batteries, torches, insect repellent, GPS (x2), fire kit, first aid, digging tools, spare parts, lightsticks, containers, crevicing tools and emergency rations etc.

Of course the problem might actually be the massive metal belt buckle that I refuse to part with.

Add that to a large coil in close proximity and you get a response from the detector. Happened with my 4000 (larger coils only), my 4500 (larger coils only) and my 5000s so unless the aliens shoved an implant up my kazoo made of platinum, I can't otherwise explain it other than to point out that my detector is always quieter if I lean forward and stretch out my arm so the coil is a few inches further away. The alternative is a longer lower shaft.

The only time I reported a similar problem was when I used a 15" coil on the 4500 and couldn't seem to get it to settle completely. The cause was that I'd decided to wear my knife on my belt that day rather than keep it in the pack. I'm not going to make that mistake again.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Take on what Nero says about hunting nuggets in highly mineralised ground, its a dam good tip this is where i have found nuggets with my 3500 and 11" Psuedo mono, now i have an 8" commander mono and will hunt the same ground because i know its too much for others to put up with it!!!! They walk away and i go hunting....

Hueyduck.....
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:18 am

OK. well i've come to a conclusion.

I'm going to purchase a GPX 5000.

Yes i know i'm only a freshman to this game, but i figure it will be the best investment.

I'll take my 18" DD commander up tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) and see how that goes.

thanks everyone for the feedback. it's been very useful.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:52 am

Gday Goldbait

The best and quietest coil I had used on my gp extreme was the Coiltek 14" round dd pro coil, it was the only coil that I could use successfully on a piece of really extreme ground that unfortunately contained a large amounts of nuggets and specimens, otherwise I would not have perservered with the place.

The other two coils I used a lot were the minelab 8" round mono and a coiltek 11" round mono for all other spots that were not so mineralised, they would not operate properly but just moan and groan in this spot, but in other areas they worked very well.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 am

Gday Goldbait

Also I forgot to mention I did try a mates Minelab 18" commander dd coil in the same spot and it did run quietly too but I found it extremely heavy to use, this was before hipsticks came about, so if you have one I would recommend that you use it.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 am

Nero, you'd be perfectly safe detecting in the Sudan or Afghanistan with your "armoury".
It would seem that your belt buckle is more important than your detector.
You must be quite a site striding out with your body bent forward and your arms outstretched detecting Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry mate. I just see the funny side to it all. Not trying to be nasty. Smile

Robert

Back to top Go down