Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP Extreme Detector Problems

+2
GoldstalkerGPX
centralvic
6 posters

Go down

GP Extreme Detector Problems Empty GP Extreme Detector Problems

Post  centralvic Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi All
I went for a quick detect this morning with my gp extreme and could not get my detector to hold a stable threshold, it kept making this pinging noise. I moved to another area and the same thing happened It was a bit stormy looking, would this have an effect on my detector or do you think I may have a problem that needs fixing
Thanks CV

centralvic
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme Detector Problems Empty Re: GP Extreme Detector Problems

Post  Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Gday CV

Sounds as though it was picking up lightning strikes, EMI interference, these machines are sensitive to such things and will more often than not pick up stuff thats going on a long distance away, if you could see cloud build up then thats what I would be thinking that it was.

All you can do is wait for a clear day and give it another try, if you are still getting problems then firstly check all your leads and charge condition of the battery , if there is nothing obvious then get it off to Minelab for them to have a look at it.

I always found my gp extreme to be more sensitive to picking up lightning than the gp 3500, or the 4500 , sometimes it would just squeel like a stuck pig all of a sudden like and make your hair stand on end,affraid usually when the lightning was some way off, but as it got closer it would just become so erratic that you just had to give it away, and wait for the weather to pass.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:44 pm

G'day CV, I have found that atmospherics play a part in this, not sure if it is just me but sometimes on a good clear day you often get these noises and I have said joking to the people with me that there is bad weather on the way! 8 times out of 10 sure enough bad weather approaches later in the day. Seems also that if detecting under a flight path of jets you tend to get pings aswell.
I had a very bad case of this just the other day, I could not get things right, HA HA! then after a short walk discovered an electric fence.
I have also heard of but not experienced it, where on windy conditions near a wire fence for some reason this causes interference.
Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Believe it or not you can pick up lightning hundreds of kms away.

Back to top Go down

Post  centralvic Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks for the replys, took it out again this afternoon and it took alot longer for the noise to come back. I went to a different area. How do I go about sending it to minelab for a check or service?
Thansk cv

centralvic
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:32 pm

centralvic wrote:Thanks for the replys, took it out again this afternoon and it took alot longer for the noise to come back. I went to a different area. How do I go about sending it to minelab for a check or service?
Thansk cv

Ring 1800 637 786 and ask for the service department.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme Detector Problems Empty detector problems

Post  bushranger Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:52 pm

My extreme makes lots of weird noises when the battery is almost flat, perhaps try
a different battery.
Cheers Greg.

bushranger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  centralvic Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for the replys, I did some checking and think my battery may have failed. Will try a new one this week, having a few beers wuth the family for fathers day today.
Thanks cv

centralvic
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme Detector Problems Empty Detector Problems

Post  Tunnel Rat Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Retune your detector while a plane is flying overhead,works for me.
Tunnel Rat
Tunnel Rat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  nugget_hunter69 Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 pm

I went out today for a swing with my son and both 3000 and 2100 wouldnt run smooth as it was an overcast daywith light showers, both had fully charged batteries.
Lesson learnt there when its overcast stay home for me.

Ed.

nugget_hunter69
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Hi all, I went for a quick detect around Moliagul today, very noisy day! (bit hung over after seeing a band at Moliagul pub confused last night)
I had a disscussion with a bloke who made a very interesting point, he said as we know as fishermen and hunters alike read the barrometer, and if conditions are good we go, study it and do the same when detecting. When I found gold the other day these conditions were spot on, food for thought hey!
Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:50 am

Gday

I think that the weather has quite a bit to do with detecting success, when you think about how it can go from one extreme to another.

When the weather is hot and windy we cop all sorts of issues from the emi point of view, things like noise spikes from static electricty discharges, and as metioned before noise carried by long stretches of fencing, not to mention your personal comfort level, as it is hard to concentrate with all this going on, you never seem to do very well in these sorts of conditions.

On the other hand when the weather is unsettled we then get feed back from lightning strikes etc, and of course we cant detect when its raining, the ground gets all sticky and the detector makes all sorts of weird and wonderful noises, not to metion how hard it is to locate a small target when its in mud, with the mud sticking to the pick as well giving you the s...s!, and globs of the muck sticking to the coil making it heavy.

The best time to detect in the warmer months are in the early first light hours, while the ground is cool and quiet, you always seem to get better depth and a smoother threshold, as you approach mid morning you can hear the changes, you are better off using the warmer parts of the day for either snoozing or driving about looking for new spots than walking about in the heat detecting.

The best time I have found to detect in the cooler months seems to be a few days after a really good downpour of rain, its had enough time to really penetrate the soil, its no longer sticky but just damp all the way down, it seems that as the ground is cool and just a little moist you get the best ground penetration and a more stable threshold, as long as you are not getting any feedback from the emi point of view then these are ideal conditions for me anyway.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down