Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doom & gloom across media

+7
Redfin
PeterInSa
Reg Wilson
deutran
granite2
Travelergold
Nightjar
11 posters

Go down

Doom & gloom across media Empty Doom & gloom across media

Post  Nightjar Mon May 18, 2020 10:49 am

Can not comment about other state TV news readers or it is only a problem here in WA?
Susannah & Ric have been presenting the news on Ch7 in WA since when TV was introduced.
Beats me how they don't have a serious mental issue, day after day presenting doom & gloom.
If there isn't enough, bashings, rapes, murders, car crashes in WA they bring in overseas disasters.
Are we the public such a morbid mob that we need this and they are just satisfying our needs?
If I was CEO of Ch7 I would introduce "happy, good news days" several times a week. Very Happy

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Doom & gloom across media Empty Re: Doom & gloom across media

Post  Travelergold Mon May 18, 2020 11:18 am

Agree with you. In SA we watch morning tv and cannot believe how media push and manipulate things to suit there needs. Just hope the government does not listen to the media. For example, koshie has been pushing for close on 6 weeks now to open up things from the moment the virus stabilised. Was so his port adelaide footy club could start playing as they are broke. If we listened to the reporters 4 weeks ago, australia would be fully open then between states and likely as not we would have had that second wave that they say we have to have. If there is no cases, surely it is contained, how can it spread if nobody has it. If it still spreads, then social distanceing is a bit of a furphy as those who then get the virus get it out of thin air!!
I would have thought if a state was clear for 2 or more weeks with nobody having the virus and all healed, then we are clear, wait till other states are also clear for 2 plus weeks before opening borders with them.
Just my thoughts.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Tue May 19, 2020 9:56 am

So here we are, two SA footy teams getting exemption to travel into Qld to play a game. One rule for them an another for everyone else.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1840
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Tue May 19, 2020 10:47 am

In SA we can travel to victoria or NSW, but to get back into state we have to sign paperwork and go into 2 week lockdown.
Happy with that as we are corona free. The only way we should get the china virus is if somebody now does the wrong thing. Otherwise it means social distanceing is a furphy.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am

Couldn't agree more Nightjar ,pretty much given up on TV lately just finding more to do about the house.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Tue May 19, 2020 1:00 pm

I just can't bear to watch commercial television. It's just appalling, especially morning TV. Some great shows on ABC though, like Mystery road which is outstanding. Brilliant photography, great sound and story, in the Aussie outback. Australian produced television at its best.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Tue May 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Each to their own, Reg. I watched an episode a week or two ago and it was so slow it was downright boring. About all I watch on the ABC now is landline. They are too far left for me. Don't watch much TV at all now I have a Kindle. Thank God for books.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1840
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue May 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:I just can't bear to watch commercial television. It's just appalling, especially morning TV. Some great shows on ABC though, like Mystery road which is outstanding. Brilliant photography, great sound and story, in the Aussie outback. Australian produced television at its best.

Agree on all points Reg, Mystery Road was a little slow at the beginning but now we are right into it, Detective Jay Swan (Aaron Pedersen) plays a great part. We use Humax to record any commercial TV so we can flick the ads and unrelated crap.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Tue May 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Agree, I think Mystery Road is great, the country reminds me of detecting in Norther WA. Enjoyed Detective Jay Swan is a similar series last year.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Tue May 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:I just can't bear to watch commercial television. It's just appalling, especially morning TV. Some great shows on ABC though, like Mystery road which is outstanding. Brilliant photography, great sound and story, in the Aussie outback. Australian produced television at its best.

I am right into Mystery Road too, Reg. They had one movie of Mystery Road and then the follow up was called Goldstone and now we have a TV series . I get into these Aussie shows to avoid all the other crap on TV. Wentworth is nearly back for it`s second last season and Bloom`s second season on Stan wasn`t as good as the first ,but still better than mainstream stuff. Takes the mind off things for awhile.

I watch an hour of news a day and don`t try to get too wound up in the hype of some stories.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm

soldier of fortune wrote:

They had one movie of Mystery Road and then the follow up was called Goldstone and now we have  a TV series .  

This is the second TV series, first one was a cracker.

Series 1
Taking place between the events of the films Mystery Road and Goldstone,Mystery Road Series 1 tells the story of Detective Jay Swan (Aaron Pedersen), assigned to investigate the mysterious disappearance of two young farmhands on an outback cattle station, one a local Indigenous football hero and the other a white backpacker. Working together with local police sergeant Emma James (Judy Davis), the investigation uncovers drug trafficking in the town, and a past injustice that threatens the fabric of the whole community.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Thu May 21, 2020 7:06 am

Thanks, Redfin. I watched the movie and then Goldstone ,but totally missed season one on STAN ,so that will fill in the gaps which had me wondering how his daughter died. Now i will find out.

Cheers.

I will be glad when this is all over and i don`t have so much time to watch movies. Got a dodgy knee at the moment ,so can`t get out and get on my knees to dig ,but i can go to work for the limited amount of days they allow me to. Going crazy staying home. Re-built my sluice yesterday and put more dream mat in and took the miner`s moss out ,but can`t use it until my knee is better.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Agree on all points Reg, Mystery Road was a little slow at the beginning but now we are right into it, Detective Jay Swan (Aaron Pedersen) plays a great part. We use Humax to record any commercial TV so we can flick the ads and unrelated crap.

I enjoy Mystery Road as well.  The only thing I find odd is the main character walks around with a gun on his hip like John Wayne.!
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am

So do all the cops in NSW Annie, and it's not a real good look, especially with all the body armour, stun guns, "night stick" dangling off their belt etc.
Here in our little town they swagger up the road in pairs expecting........ what? Shocked

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 24, 2020 11:32 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun May 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Dave, That's the mystery surrounding Mystery Road & Goldstone (watched the movie last night, Mary (Tasma Walton) is a Geraldton girl) some of it looks like its filmed in both QLD & WA (WA number plate on Jays old MQ)
Looking for some new drama, any ideas anyone?
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Sun May 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Nightjar, try 'Ozarks' on Netflix. A Swedish series that was very good was "Before we die', also on Netflix. I enjoyed 'Breaking Bad' but it might not be your cup of tea. 'El Camino' was a spinoff from breaking bad, and pretty good. There is a lot of good stuff to watch if you sort through it. I could probably list several more, but these a a good start.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun May 24, 2020 4:12 pm

Thanks Reg, will take a peak. Speaking of which Peaker Blinders is a ripper.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Sun May 24, 2020 5:38 pm

We enjoyed series 1 of Top of the Lake (Iview). A bit dark and moody set in NZ, it does portray things we sometimes know but don't want to identify.
Now enjoying series 2 Top of the Lake - China Girl. First 4 episodes can be seen on Iview, otherwise episodes on ABC Fri. night.

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun May 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Journo's and other media presenters brains are hard wired to present and make bad news sound worse than it actually is...at all times.
If they put as much effort into presenting good news instead of dramatising bad news then I for one would maybe watch tele a bit more often.
All I watch is Star Trek Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4357
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down