Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dd coils on a gpx4500

3 posters

Go down

dd coils on a gpx4500 Empty dd coils on a gpx4500

Post  yellowmellow Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 am

hi all do dd coils suit the gpx4500 or is mono still the better suited coil type for a gpx4500 has anyone used a dd coil on a gpx4500 detector before if so what are the results of using a dd coil as opposed to a mono coil please let me know thanks tim
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

dd coils on a gpx4500 Empty Re: dd coils on a gpx4500

Post  Kon61gold Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Tim, I think to much emphasis has been placed on mono coils over the years, pushing back the progression/type of windings, capable of being used as/on DD coils in general.
We all know when the ground is quiet & of low mineralization, mono coils, because of their greater sensitivity, tend to out do the same size coil in DD configuration, over the same positive target signal. The problem today is, gold bearing quiet ground or ground most low in mineralization, is all but free/barren of gold. It is in the more heavily mineralized areas/localities that gold is still found to reside/exist. This is where the DD coils come into play on their own, penetrating the mineralized ground quieter/better, hence allowing for that faint positive target signal, buried deep in mineralized ground to be heard.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:03 am

any further information please
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes Tim, DD coils suite as well as work on the GPX series detectors. The standard coil on a GPX detector consists of an 11 inch DD. That is what all the GPX series detectors come out with as standard & mono coils are thrown in as an accessory. Mono coils (because of the type of winding configuration used) have greater sensitivity & go deeper over positive in ground targets, than the same in size DD coil, but only where ground permits or is of low mineralization. You'll find in high mineralized ground, a DD coil of the same in size as that of a mono coil, will match or even surpass the mono coil over the same target in depth. In highly mineralized ground, one is better off using or exploiting the characteristics/workings of a DD coil, than using a mono coil in Enhance with dumbed down sensitivity. DD coils, simply cut through or penetrate highly mineralized ground better, allowing for those deeper faint target responses to come through, instead of having them being drowned out by ground noise. Play around with the settings/timings & see how you go using your DD coil/s.
The best example I can give here is when four of us flogged a section of ground (which has been more than kind to us in the past) not once, but several times with various size mono coils on, to the point where none of us could hear any further signals. A mate of mine decided to put on & use a Coiltek 14 inch round DD Elite coil & go over the same section of ground receiving a faint but clear signal, which turned out to be a 41 gram nugget, trapped sitting most likely in a vertical position, only a foot down in mineralized clay  Shocked  Knowing that we covered just about every square inch of ground between the four of us, using mono coils from the 8X6 Sadie, everything in between, all the way up to the 20 inch round NF. We were left staring at one another dumb founded. This is why understanding what to use & over where or what type of ground to use it on, can be the difference between success or failure.    

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  ben digo Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:28 pm

How do you think the NF mono would perform in custom "Hi-Mineral" Kon? Did any of you try this setting?
ben digo
ben digo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2018-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:41 pm

My apologies for the late response ben digo. Can't remember ever searching in Custom/High Mineral with a mono coil. I'v always worked ground that's constantly changing & high in mineralization preferring the use of the General search mode with Enhance/Fixed ground balance, when using the 4500 with mono coils.  It's now been 4 years using the GPZ 7000 & I simply don't have any past info written down to tell you. Maybe some current 4500 user on here, can enlighten us on the 4500's performance in Custom/High Mineral & what type of ground it best works on/over or is more suited to, as compared to using a DD coil in normal, over the same ground conditions?

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  ben digo Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:14 am

Thanks Kon. I would be interested to hear from others if they have tried this setting.
ben digo
ben digo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2018-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:29 am

I feel I will be sticking with my trusty 12 inch evo nuggetfinder coil for a while time yet I feel its a really good coil need to have the patience though and low and slow its a mono but I feel it will do the job finding those gold nuggets and tiddlers I love finding those type of gold.

As they say the smaller ones are harder to find and the larger ones will look after themselves.

If you are finding small gold then the larger ones will be easier to find.

Small gold at a bit of depth and I have the gear to do that.

Need to get swing soon now its april and I doubt that im going to find any gold in down town Richmond inner city melb as this is where I live.

Please update me regarding any closures of gold detecting areas in the triangle I hope they remain open thanks tim
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down